INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where are my tags?  (Read 2729 times)

gt93grad

• World Citizen
Where are my tags?
« on: September 25, 2015, 02:04:20 pm »

I use an external drive to hold my music and MC software.  I can move it back and forth between laptops, and I won't lose anything if my laptop ever crashes.

However, I updated all my tags while running MC on one laptop with the external drive.  I then move the external drive to the other laptop, and the tags are not longer there.  I can move back to the first and it works again.  How can I get the tags to move with me?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Where are my tags?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 02:35:58 pm »

MC has an option for whether to store the metadata/tag in the file.

Options has a search window at the bottom.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 05:03:09 pm »

If I don't store metadata in the music file, where is it storing it?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 05:18:28 pm »

The tags will store In the library (in MC).  I think most here store tags to the file though

Do you have wifi at home?  Run one laptop as a client, and no need to move the HDD back and forth, at least while at home

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 05:26:43 pm »

MC's library is independent of the media files.  It has a database it maintains outside of the files, where all of the tags you set are stored.  It will write as many tags to the files as it can *IF* you have the option turned on.  I'm about 90% sure it's turned on by default.  The setting is in:

Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes

Like ferday said, there are other options for sharing the library via client server.  There are some other things you could do too, but just getting the tags written to the files is probably a good start.

Brian.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 05:41:40 pm »

What type of files are they? Some types cannot store tags inside the file.
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 05:44:15 pm »

Most are mp3.  Some may be wma (?)  If i change the setting will it copy all current tags, or only those going forward?  I have a lot.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 06:18:54 pm »

If you change the setting to "on" it will start writing any tags that change.  So it won't get anything from before.  But never fear, this is Media Center!  There's always another way.  :)

Select some files that you want tags written to.  Then:  <Right click> Library Tools > Update tags (from library)

That will write as many tags from the library as it can to the tags inside the files.  You can do this for just a few files, or for as many as you select at once.  Even thousands if you want to.  Just select, right click and go.

Brian.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 07:30:30 am »

So, I suppose I need to delete all files from my Library and re import to see the new files with tags included, right?  That makes me nervous.  I hope this works.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 08:11:29 am »

So, I suppose I need to delete all files from my Library and re import to see the new files with tags included, right?  That makes me nervous.  I hope this works.

No, no, no.  Not necessary.

New tags or new files?  Both?  Use auto import.  Tell auto import to monitor the directory (or more than one) where you put your new files.  MC will pick them up as they are added to the directory.  Or just run import against the directory that has the new files.  It will add everything that's new and skip over everything it already sees.

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 06:59:37 am »

If you select a single track, at the top of the Tag window it will have something like MP3- 4:02 - 4 MP. Select that line and click on it and it will show the tags that are stored in the file on disk. Do this after Update Tags (from library) and you will see what MC will write to the files.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 07:36:50 am »

Thanks everyone.  It worked great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up