INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home Video movies on import get tagged as TV Series  (Read 7358 times)

)p(

• Citizen of the Universe
Home Video movies on import get tagged as TV Series
« on: September 26, 2015, 03:05:02 am »

When I import a home video movie jrmc tags them on import with media sub type TV Show and also fills in the series, season and episode tags based on the file name.
This happens even when I use apply tags on import with  If(IsEqual([Media Type],Video,1),Home Video,[Media Sub Type]) for media subtype.
If there a way to prevent this? Its get a little annoying to change these tags every time I import home videos/

CountryBumkin

Re: Home Video movies on import get tagged as TV Series
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 06:24:57 am »

Setup a dedicated folder to import your Home Movies from (such as "Home Videos"), then go to Tools>Options>Library & Folders >Configure Auto Import.  
Select this "Home Videos" folder and click the box for import "Video" type, then in the lower window "Apply these Tags (optional)" click on "Add" then "Custom", in the next popup box use the drop down to select field "Media Sub Type" and in Value box type in "Home Video" (not Home Movie).
Now when MC automatically imports from this new folder it will automatically apply the tag "Home Video".

)p(

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 07:14:30 am »

Setup a dedicated folder to import your Home Movies from (such as "Home Videos"), then go to Tools>Options>Library & Folders >Configure Auto Import.  
Select this "Home Videos" folder and click the box for import "Video" type, then in the lower window "Apply these Tags (optional)" click on "Add" then "Custom", in the next popup box use the drop down to select field "Media Sub Type" and in Value box type in "Home Video" (not Home Movie).
Now when MC automatically imports from this new folder it will automatically apply the tag "Home Video".

I am already using the apply tags option on import.  It looks like jrmc's movies/tv series lookup kicks in after applying tags on import and then ignores them and concludes its a TV Show anyway. Does it work for you?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 05:02:06 pm »

I don't know if the additional Tags/code you are adding is messing up the process. Perhaps just try a simpler version to see if it works or not.

)p(

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 02:13:25 am »

I don't know if the additional Tags/code you are adding is messing up the process. Perhaps just try a simpler version to see if it works or not.

Ok I tried that. It still adds values to series, season and episode. You dont see them filled in after import? Media subtype is set correctly. It was empty before because I made a little mistake in the function I used.

I then tried applying tags on import those fields with a known empty field and that worked, now they are all empty after import.

Thanks for the help   :)

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 07:14:56 am »

You're seeing a behavior of Series, Season, etc being tagged on import and you may think it is doing a db lookup, when in fact, MC is just guessing at the values based on the filename.  MC uses a process it calls Carnac to guess these values.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Carnac

Sounds like you've got your other issue sorted out, which is good.  :)

Brian.

Antoine.

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 07:54:12 am »

Same problem here.

Does it not make sense that Carnac be turned off for Home Videos since there is nothing that it can possibly guess from the name of the file? Carnac still running defeats the purpose of the whole Home video section in my opinion.

Antoine
Server: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC26 - Caselabs Mercury S5 - Corsair HX1000i - ASRock Z97M OC Formula - Intel i7-4790t - 16Gb - Crucial M500 960GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G - RAID5 : WD Red 4TB (6x) + Adaptec 6805 - JBOD : WG Green 4TB (4x) - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - Kef Egg.

HTPC: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC25 - Streacom F12C  - Streacom FLIRC - Corsair HX750i - ASRock Z97 Extreme4 - Intel i5-4690s - 16Gb - Crucial M500 480GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G - Asus Essence STX II.

)p(

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 03:21:47 am »

You're seeing a behavior of Series, Season, etc being tagged on import and you may think it is doing a db lookup, when in fact, MC is just guessing at the values based on the filename.  MC uses a process it calls Carnac to guess these values.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Carnac

Sounds like you've got your other issue sorted out, which is good.  :)

Brian.

Yes you are correct. I noticed already it was working on the filename, but I thought it was part of the whole db lookup process.

To recap:
Even when tag on import sets media sub type to Home Video carnac tries to guess series, season and episode from the filename.

In my case using the filename from my canon s120 videos:
filename vide = MVI_4540.MP4
after import I get:
filename = Mvi S45SE40
Series= Mvi
Season= 45
Episode=40

I also would like to suggest to adjust this behavior to ignore the carnac naming matching when media sub type is set to Home Video by tag on import.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 08:05:04 am »

I think you can use tag on import to set Series, Season, and Episode to "" (blank).  I'm guessing that will override the Carnac process.  Worth a try anyway.

Brian.

)p(

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 08:10:17 am »

I think you can use tag on import to set Series, Season, and Episode to "" (blank).  I'm guessing that will override the Carnac process.  Worth a try anyway.

Brian.

I tried that first, but was not able to set a blank. But as I mentioned above setting them to a known empty field (I used imdbrating.) works.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 08:27:02 am »

Interesting.  I wonder if it sees "" as something like "no value" and just populates it.  If you set it to a space or something like " ", I wonder if that would work?  Your empty field is an interesting workaround.  I'm just curious about the underlying issue that required you to do this workaround.

Brian.

)p(

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 08:44:20 am »

Interesting.  I wonder if it sees "" as something like "no value" and just populates it.  If you set it to a space or something like " ", I wonder if that would work?  Your empty field is an interesting workaround.  I'm just curious about the underlying issue that required you to do this workaround.

Brian.
If I remember correctly the issue is that the user interface does not allow you to add or edit a tag with an empty field. It will ask something like: please enter a value.
Setting a field to a space works as expected. It will be filled with a space.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 09:14:04 am »

I'm not sure about automatically entering a blank field, but it is easy to manually remove the contents of the field and leave it blank for Series, Season, Episode.

At first, I was thinking that there is a oversight in how the program works for Home Video. I thought Carnac should not be trying to fill in fields on the Home Video media sub type, since this is not going to be something where meta-data is looked up on the internet (like would be done for a TV show or Movie).

However, you could be structuring your filename something like "MVI_Christmas.S2005.MP4" where you might want to have Carnac separate your file name into sortable groups (like Season, Year, etc.).

So, IMO, the best solution would to have an option (like a "check box" in Optional Tagging section) to not have Carnac process the file during import when User doesn't want it.

)p(

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 09:28:57 am »

I'm not sure about automatically entering a blank field, but it is easy to manually remove the contents of the field and leave it blank for Series, Season, Episode.

Are you sure? I have to check that.  I thought you have to click on edit to change the value and then the popup will only close if you have entered a non empty value.

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 09:39:37 am »

^ To "empty" the values of [Series] as an example:

1.  Highlight all of the files you want to change.
2.  Press Alt-Enter or <right click> Tag to bring up the Tagging Pane on the left.
3.  Find the Series tag.  If it's not displayed, use the menu in the upper left corner of the Tagging Pane, to display it.
4.  Click on the value of Series.  It will highlight.  Press backspace to delete the text.  Press enter to save it.

That will delete the Series value for all selected files.  You can do the same for any other tags you want to empty out, all at once.  Doing this from a View or a SmartList that you use for recently imported Home Videos only would make this even easier.

Brian.

)p(

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 09:52:16 am »

We are not talking about emptying those fields after import, but to use apply tags on import to keep Carnac from filling them. The only way I have found to do that is to point them to an empty field so they get filled with a blank instead of what Carnac normally puts into them.

blgentry

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 10:02:29 am »

^ Ah, ok, I understand the context of your comments now.  You're correct of course.  It won't take an empty value, but it will take a space, which is nearly as good as empty for most purposes.

Another way of looking at this is, what do you want to eventually set these values to?  Will they be empty, or will you assign something to them?  Would filling those fields with place holder values help you locate those files later so you can fill in proper values?  Like if you put in "to be assigned" for Series would that help you to then find all files where you needed to assign a value to Series?  I'm trying to think of the whole workflow and how this fits in.

Brian.

)p(

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 10:07:07 am »

In my case I just want them to be empty because I don't use them with home videos.
I do understand your point that you could take advantage of Carnac filling the series, season, episode fields with a custom naming scheme for browsing. Although my guess is most people expect them to be empty after importing a home video.
Pages: [1]   Go Up