INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashes during audio playback (come and gone)  (Read 2159 times)

ErikN

• Junior Woodchuck
Crashes during audio playback (come and gone)
« on: September 29, 2015, 02:13:09 am »

When I originally installed MC I think it was 21.0.2. It was certainly pretty early and, regardless, I never had a problem with audio playback. At some point it updated itself and I ended up at 21.0.6.  For the next two weeks there were frequent crashes all during audio playback. After about the 5th crash I decided I would enable logging and file a report. I ran it for a day with logging on and no crash. Of coarse, 21.0.9 was out at this point and I wondered if there was much value in a repo on an older version so I upgraded to 21.0.9.

It's been a few days now and, so far, no crash. The only non-out-of-the-box audio feature I use is auto leveling. Was there a bug fixed between 21.0.6 and 21.0.9 that would have fixed crashes for run-of-the-mill audio playback?  The change log mentions a fix for crashes with multiple zones but I don't use zones.  I can turn off logging and not look back -- probably should. However, if some wise bug tracker can confirm this it would set my mind at ease.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Crashes during audio playback (come and gone)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 07:11:37 am »

Strange problems often have strange causes.  Antivirus, driver, OS, etc. 

Antivirus programs look for specific signatures in the code or specific behavior, and one version of MC might cause a false positive, but the versions on either side might not.

ErikN

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Crashes during audio playback (come and gone)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 11:18:19 am »

Antivirus is a good theory though I know it isn't the case here. It is a dedicated media server -- firewalled, no browser use, software pre-scanned coming in and out, etc. so that I don't have to locally run an antivirus. They cause of too many problems. For now I will write it off as gremlins. Hopefully it won't come back once I disable logging.
Pages: [1]   Go Up