INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with TV a couple of years ago  (Read 4913 times)

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Problems with TV a couple of years ago
« on: October 01, 2015, 10:24:52 am »

I attempted using TV features a couple/few years back with an HDHomerun network tuner. I gave up after a week of frustration and debugging. When it did work it was glitchy and looked noticeably bad compared to plugging the coax into the back of the TV or compared to the HDHomerun "test" feed. I'm sure improvements have been made since then, but that experience left me in a spot where I won't try again if I don't see some signs of a pretty serious setup process upgrade.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problems with TV a couple of years ago
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 11:29:01 am »

There have been a lot of improvements in setup in the last year.  You could read the discussions that glynor and Yaobing had.

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 04:20:37 pm »

As a new convert from WMC, MC21 has been working great on two TVs with four networked hdhomerun dual tuners. The only time I have had glitchy viewing was due to a gigabit router that the hdhomerun units did not like.

Jonathan DA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 10:12:42 am »

I just downloaded the latest MC v21 last night, and set it up with an HDHomeRun.  SIGNIFICANTLY better experience than it was two years ago.  I suggest you download the 30 day trial and give it a try.

I had problems with the EPG in v20, but v21 is great so far.

JeTie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 01:04:40 pm »

I fully agree with Jonathan DA - it's definitely improved by now and worth a try...but overall stability is not sufficient for everyday us.  MC freezes frequently while changing channels but not reproducible.
TV display quality is excellent in MC21.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 01:06:49 pm »

I fully agree with Jonathan DA - it's definitely improved by now and worth a try...but yet overall stability not sufficient for everydays use - MC freezes frequently while changing channels but not reproducible.
TV display quality is excellent in MC21.
What version are you using?

21.0.11 is current.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100546.0

JeTie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 01:52:09 pm »

Hi Jim, I use 21.0.11.
I've recently reinstalled my HTPC due to HW changes and therefore set up TV from scratch:
- EPG works, but only for a limited number of channels (possibly a "German" limitation and I haven't tried all optional lists yet).
  - the default TV view in theater view shows only channels which come with EPG, so I worked around by creating my own view which shows all/favorite channels, EPG or no EPG.
- I get cable TV (filename *.tlv) which includes radio stations as well: trying to "watch" a radio station freezes MC reproducible, so I changed tagging for radio: MediaType=Audio, MediaSubType=Radio and separated it from TV: works but MC freezes occasionally, but rather frequently when changing channels.
- same occasional freezes while changing TV channels.
- just switching between channels is yet a no go - even more frequent failures; by "changing channels" I mean press Stop, select next channel, press Play.
This is just my personal recent experience - minor problems, I'd like to add, for my preferences lie with Audio/Video but I can provide a log on next occasion if you're interested.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 02:07:42 pm »

A log might be useful.  Send to yaobing at jriver with a link to this thread.

Some of the "freezes" could be signal related.

What device are you using?

JeTie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 02:22:13 pm »

DD DuoFlex CT + Octopus V3 - Twin Tuner Card DVB-C/CT (4 Port Bridge)
...with latest drivers: DigitalDevices-DVB-Driver-2.6.1.118-x64.msi
Thanks, I'll send a log occasionally.

BTW: the real show stopper for TV everydays use via HTPC + MC: I bought a CI module as well from DD but I realized only afterwards that it's of no use when it meets to encrypted signal, like Nagravision, Videoguard  ::)

JeTie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 01:14:13 pm »

I've just sent 2 logs, but each after a crash when either "Play" or "Watch" a radio station which is provided via DVB-C (*.tvlb).

To give MC21 the credit it deserves, I have to correct my previous statement

- same occasional freezes while changing TV channels.
Now that I've sorted out all radio channels from the TV List, changing between TV channels works w/o problems in both ways, the slow way by "Stop - Select other channel - Watch" AND the fast way by zapping via Next/Previous.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 12:35:12 pm »

*.tvlb files are just TV channels.  They are played through TV engine anyway.

Please try MC20.0.15 which is available in MC21 board now.  There is a fix which may impact how your radio stations are played.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

JeTie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 06:16:48 am »

It works now, i.e. "watching" the radio stations - great - I rolled back the tagging for [Media Type] to TV for the radio stations, but kept Radio as [Sub Media Type].

Still sporadic MC freezes, although once MC freezes on entering a radio channel it's kind of latent, i.e. the problem remains after restarting MC; only after reboot it works again (but this behaviour I observed only once yet).

When changing from a radio channel to a TV channel or vice versa, there are still reproducible problems, as long as one does not press Stop in between...
Radio --> TV: Audio is OK but the display remains dark - ROHQ, madVR or the TV engine does not get fully going.
TV --> Radio: It takes some seconds until Audio changes to the radio station and when that's done the display shows the "paused" TV signal.
...for what I really do is pause a TV/Radio channel via back button, change lists and then enter another Radio/TV channel, which may explain part of the behaviour - so I guess, just omitting this scenario is already kind of a solution.

Pages: [1]   Go Up