INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD 5.6 Mpbs streams as LPCM 8.5 Mbps  (Read 5841 times)

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
DSD 5.6 Mpbs streams as LPCM 8.5 Mbps
« on: October 03, 2015, 03:48:59 pm »

DSD (.dsf) files pushed to my Sony STR-DA5800ES from my MC20 computer are playing as PCM.

This receiver plays the same file from a thumb drive as DSD 5.6 Mbps.

I've spent hours looking through the settings for the Generic DLNA server and the DSP studio and I don't see where any conversion is specified. Output encoding is set for none. All sample rates are set to no change. DoPE is turned off (all I hear is noise then).

What else can I do to troubleshoot? Thanks!
HT#1: Sony STR-DA5400ES, Polk RTi 7.1 speakers
HT#2: MC30, Frankenstein PC, Sony STR-DA5800ES, Polk RTi 3.1 speakers (bi-amped A9 mains)
Id: Original 120GB SSD NUC
Mobile: HIFI Walker H2 and H2 Touch

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSD 5.6 Mpbs streams as LPCM 8.5 Mbps
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 04:12:00 pm »

Does the Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser reveal anything about DSF? It's been a long time since I've run it so can't remember if it reports on that format or not.

Spike

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 04:36:34 pm »

Well I'm not sure White Bear is working right on my machine because I am not able to pick a file to test with. But I do see where DSD and xDSD are supported file types. I expect that's true since they sound so good from a USB drive.

I would have attached the report on my Sony receiver, but apparently it is too large for the forum (c'mon JRiver).
HT#2: MC30, Frankenstein PC, Sony STR-DA5800ES, Polk RTi 3.1 speakers (bi-amped A9 mains)

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 05:50:32 pm »

You are right that the DMRA package currently does not include test files for DSD, DSF, DFF files. It is on my to do list :)

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 10:56:29 am »

You are right that the DMRA package currently does not include test files for DSD, DSF, DFF files. It is on my to do list :)

I have now added a couple of DSF test files to my DMR Analyser application (download it from my sig).
So you can now test whether the DMRA is able to push DSF to the Sony.

Tip: turn on HTTP logging before running the tests, and post both the test report and the HTTP the log files here.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 08:15:26 pm »

OK. Sorry for the delay in responding.

I downloaded the whole 100M install and followed your instructions. The report is attached.

During what appeared to be 64 10 second tests I did not hear a peep from my audio system. In the status display each said "Play failed => Command "SetNextAVTransportURI" failed / Subscribe error."

If I uncheck the box to use the SetNextAVTransportURI, I have to tell the DMR that I didn't hear the 64 files manually.

I'm still not sure I got this right.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 01:48:40 am »

Thanks for the report.

The Play Failed error is because a) the receiver is in standby, or b) does not have the input selected to play from the network, c) or has not been set to allow commands from the DMRA.

The report shows that (if you fix the above) it does have the ability to play DSF, however it does not say anything about detailed capabilities. That is why you should do a manual test.

You don't need to test all 60 media tracks. Just test the two DSF tracks. On the first tab of the DMRA check the Enable Http logging box, before running the tests. And after running the tests please forward the Http log file.

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 10:06:43 am »

Well Andrew the receiver is not in standby mode. It is on.

I don't see the DMR when I look at available servers from the Sony receiver UI. I see my other media servers including the MC, but no item that I could "select" that indicates it is the DMR. MC plays to the receiver just fine (except that it is transcoding DSD to PCM). It will even take the receiver out of standby if necessary when I tell it to play something.

Also, the DMR does not find the test files now. I downloaded and reinstalled the 100M package but it does not run tests, saying no files have been selected.

HTTP logging was selected for the report that I sent you last time but I didn't see any other file generated by the DMR.

I am unable to run any further tests.

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 10:16:10 am »

OK, so the DMR DOES see files, just not the 2 DSF files that are in the same folder with the other test files. Still no sound from the receiver.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 10:27:41 am »

Sorry but neither of your two lasts posts make any sense to me, so I cannot help you any further.

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 05:05:44 pm »

I can make MC20 stream a DSD64 or DSD128 file to my Sony receiver, but I have to set the output format to PCM 24 and the bitrate to 192K for anything higher. I cannot enable DoPE, as all I hear then is some hiss.

These same DSD files play as native DSD on the receiver when I play them from a mounted drive.

The conclusion I have come to now is that either MC is not able to stream DSD to my receiver (actually says "there was a problem with playback"), or my receiver will not allow it to be received. So far I have been unable to locate any definitive information about it from either JRiver or Sony.

Does it seem odd to anyone that a receiver would refuse to accept streamed input that it plays handily from a local source?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 12:12:17 pm »

having a quick glance at the manual for your receiver, it doesn't support DSD over the network, only a direct connection

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 06:59:57 pm »

Well thanks for spending the time to decode the lingo. I'm sure you're right, since playback is confined the way it is. However the prior page in the same manual says it plays DSD till the cows come home! How to interpret what the manual says is pretty close to impossible for anyone new to this sport.

I don't understand the seemingly arbitrary prohibition, if that's what it says, against receiving content that is clearly natively supported, simply because it comes from the network. Seems utterly unnecessary if that is true.
Pages: [1]   Go Up