INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSF file error  (Read 3711 times)

coolmingli

DSF file error
« on: October 06, 2015, 02:40:24 am »

I try to play some DSF file, I got this window pop out state "playback could not be started using the format 352.8khz 64bit 2ch, the format would work 176.4khz 64bit 2ch"  How do I let MC play 352.8khz files? In the DSP studio, I changed the input 352.8khz to output 352.8khz, but still can not play. Anyone knows why it is doing that?

Thanks

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSF file error
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 10:13:21 am »

You were in the right place!  DSP studio's output format > Sample rate section is where you tell MC how to handle all different sample rates.  The message you got tells us that your DAC cant' accept 352.8 kHz audio as input.  So, you set the 352.8 INPUT to a lower OUTPUT rate instead.  Many DACs can handle 96kHz.  You could try that.  A lot of DACs even handle 192kHz.  You could try that setting.  If you know your DAC's maximum (or best sounding) sample rate, set it to that value.

Remember to stop and restart MC after you make the change.

Good luck!

Brian.

coolmingli

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 12:43:33 pm »

You were in the right place!  DSP studio's output format > Sample rate section is where you tell MC how to handle all different sample rates.  The message you got tells us that your DAC cant' accept 352.8 kHz audio as input.  So, you set the 352.8 INPUT to a lower OUTPUT rate instead.  Many DACs can handle 96kHz.  You could try that.  A lot of DACs even handle 192kHz.  You could try that setting.  If you know your DAC's maximum (or best sounding) sample rate, set it to that value.

Remember to stop and restart MC after you make the change.

Good luck!

Brian.

Thanks for the reply

You saying the MC knows the ability of the DAC can sample? If the Dac's maximum sample rate is 96khz, MC would not play anything above the DAC specs? I don't have any Dac attached to the computer,  it still plays 176khz DSF just not 352khz.

Thanks

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 01:22:56 pm »

MC gets polling info from the DAC.  you do have a DAC; just not an external one...so what are your computer audio specs (do you have a soundcard, onboard audio only (realtek)...?)

i've yet to see an onboard card that supports DSD at "native" sample rates (352.8 ) and if you don't have an external i'm surprised you're even getting 176!  

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 02:56:32 pm »

As far as I know, MC doesn't know anything about what the DAC can play.  You have to tell it.  That sample rates section in DSP Studio is a mapping:  It tells MC what to output to the DAC for every input sample rate that exists.

If you can play 176k files, then set your 352.8 to output at 176.  That should work.  If not, try going down to 96k.

Good luck.

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 03:55:09 pm »

If a DSF file is triggering a 356 K error, it may be trying to do dsd over DOP.. It that case it should not be resampled to 176 or below. That will destroy the DOP. If you are doing 2X DSP over DOP you need a DAC that can handle 356K. It sounds like you DAC does not handle that sample rate.

coolmingli

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 04:29:38 pm »

As far as I know, MC doesn't know anything about what the DAC can play.  You have to tell it.  That sample rates section in DSP Studio is a mapping:  It tells MC what to output to the DAC for every input sample rate that exists.

If you can play 176k files, then set your 352.8 to output at 176.  That should work.  If not, try going down to 96k.

Good luck.

Brian.

352.8 output at 176 works, without external Dac, just built in Reaktec sound card.

coolmingli

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 04:30:44 pm »

If a DSF file is triggering a 356 K error, it may be trying to do dsd over DOP.. It that case it should not be resampled to 176 or below. That will destroy the DOP. If you are doing 2X DSP over DOP you need a DAC that can handle 356K. It sounds like you DAC does not handle that sample rate.

DOP is unchecked.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 05:31:20 pm »

I believe the driver reports what it can do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up