INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: madVR seekbar in FSE mode  (Read 9501 times)

aproc

• Junior Woodchuck
Feature Request: madVR seekbar in FSE mode
« on: October 15, 2015, 08:34:39 am »

Hi devs

Can you please provide an option to disable JRiver's seekbar and use the simple madVR seekbar in Full Screen Exclusive mode output for video playback? In the current situation, everytime I need to seek, the transition from FSE to Windowed mode and back to FSE happens, which is quite irritating. Moreover, with 10 bit output, videos start to stutter after seeking in MC. The solution is to pause the video and resume to get normal payback. All this doesn't happen in other players like MPC-HC where we can use the simple madVR seekbar.

Thanks
aproc

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Feature Request: madVR seekbar in FSE mode
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 08:40:58 am »

10 bit output?

I'm guessing that you're using custom settings for madVR.  Could you try Red October HQ instead?

It's not likely that we would make a change in this area. 

aproc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 08:52:23 am »

Yes I am using custom settings. Even with Red October HQ, when seeking a video, the transition from FSE to Windowed to FSE happens, which doesn't look neat. I can think of two solutions:

1. An option to disable JRiver's seekbar and enable madVR seekbar in FSE mode,

OR

2. JRiver displays its seekbar through OSD so that it doesn't intermittently switch to Windowed mode

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 09:11:51 am »

No wonder I couldn't get 10-bit output to work at RMAF - FSE mode is required for it to work. The JVC DLA-RS69U projector we were using supports 10-bit.

Have you tried the 10-bit Display Support Test? It could be that you won't see much difference with 8-bit dithered vs 10-bit and can then use Windowed Overlay instead if you have an Nvidia or Intel GPU.

aproc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:24:57 am »

Yes I have been following that thread and tried the test. The difference between 8-bit and 10-bit output can be seen on my Sony W800B TV.

I have an AMD GPU by the way, so Overlay is not an option for me.

RD James

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 01:21:08 pm »

+1

Other media players now have UIs which do not break FSE mode.
It is annoying when something bumps the mouse and FSE mode deactivates because the JRiver UI is being drawn.

The way that the remote-controlled UI is drawn in JRiver is non-breaking, so a mouse-controlled version of that could work:
A skinnable UI with a full-width seekbar along one edge of the screen, with playback info and controls on the other. Think iOS video controls.

Hide/show this UI by hovering over either edge, or tapping the screen.
Now it is two features in one: FSE-compatible playback controls, and a new touch-friendly UI.

Have you tried the 10-bit Display Support Test? It could be that you won't see much difference with 8-bit dithered vs 10-bit and can then use Windowed Overlay instead if you have an Nvidia or Intel GPU.
JRiver's existing transparency effects are incompatible with Overlay Mode and the option to disable transparency over movies does nothing.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 02:50:00 pm »

Yo, +1 !

(And I like Syro... )

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 11:59:00 am »

MadVR 89.5 implemented the "move OSD and subtitles into active video area" option. It seems that madVR has changed how it handles the OSD presented by a media player. I just did some testing using madVR 89.12, and the JRiver OSD no longer breaks FSE mode. Furthermore, you can now move the JRiver OSD into the active video area.

aproc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 12:08:09 pm »

The OSD doesn't break FSE mode but MC's seekbar does. As I proposed above, one solution for not breaking the FSE mode when seeking could be to provide the seekbar through OSD.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 12:32:08 pm »

The OSD doesn't break FSE mode but MC's seekbar does. As I proposed above, one solution for not breaking the FSE mode when seeking could be to provide the seekbar through OSD.
I just realized that you might be talking about the media controls including the seekbar at the top of the screen. I wish those were complete disabled. The seekbar that is part of the JRiver OSD is what you should be using and it will not break FSE mode. You can't use a mouse with it, but I can get anywhere I want in a 2 hour video in just a couple of seconds.

aproc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 01:21:18 pm »

The JRiver OSD bar just shows the current position of the video. It can be called a seekbar if you can click on any part of it using mouse or through a touch interface.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 02:39:44 pm »

JRiver's OSD has never worked with a mouse. It is designed for the arrow keys and enter. A left/right arrow on a remote, keyboard, or app allows one to seek when the OSD seekbar is visible. I agree that mouse and touch control would be nice for some.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 03:25:46 pm »

I just realized that you might be talking about the media controls including the seekbar at the top of the screen. I wish those were complete disabled.

I definitely don't wish those were disabled.  I use them all the time.  Seeking with a mouse can be much faster and more precise if you have a mouse handy, and I often use MC for video playback on conventional (non-home theater) PCs without remote controls hooked up to them.  I do wish we had a conventional mouse/touch seekbar that didn't break FSE (I agree with OP), but I'd rather have the current behavior than lose the mouse seek option.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 04:02:04 pm »

I definitely don't wish those were disabled.
I didn't mean disabled all the time. I use them, too, on my work PC. I didn't even write a very good sentence.

I don't like it when the top media controls inadvertently come up when watching a movie with the projector. This happens when I accidentally touch the touchpad on my keyboard. The controls look so out of place because they aren't really a 10-ft interface.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 05:32:34 pm »

I didn't mean disabled all the time. I use them, too, on my work PC. I didn't even write a very good sentence.

I don't like it when the top media controls inadvertently come up when watching a movie with the projector. This happens when I accidentally touch the touchpad on my keyboard. The controls look so out of place because they aren't really a 10-ft interface.

Oh I see. An option to disable them would be nice, so on dedicated htpcs you could just turn it off entirely.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 09:00:29 pm »

Oh I see. An option to disable them would be nice, so on dedicated htpcs you could just turn it off entirely.

I agree. I sometimes use them on my HTPC, but I could do without them, and they aren't 10 foot interface compatible. I struggle to both see them, and use a touchpad to finely control the mouse position for jumping the video anyway. An option in Theatre View settings would be nice.

On my Workstation however I use the media controls all the time. So a setting specific to the Server or Client being used would be required.

Not to mention, the FF and REW buttons on the media controls don't work the same way as the same remote buttons, so half the buttons are just annoying.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Trumpetguy

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 01:35:36 am »

*bump*, with reference to this newer thread apparently requesting much the same thing:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102781.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up