INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get JRiver to Launch Properly  (Read 3612 times)

brontotx

Can't get JRiver to Launch Properly
« on: October 16, 2015, 09:06:35 am »

When launching JRiver 21, I get a small box in the center of the screen - see attachment.  This problem actually started a few months after I switched from JRiver 19 to 20 and I stopped using JRiver after fighting my PC (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/ ESET Smart Security 8.0) for a while and even tried uninstalling and reinstalling JRiver 20.  I ended up giving up and finding a work-around to play my music (PC via ethernet -> PS Audio DirectStream -> PS Audio GCC 500 -> Duevel Bella Lunas).  I recently saw the free upgrade to JRiver 21 for registered JRiver 20 owners and thought maybe the new software would solve my launching problem... to no avail.  Any help would be appreciated - thanks in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can't get JRiver to Launch Properly
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 10:32:34 am »

Try dragging the corners.

BradATIMA

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 11:13:38 am »

I wonder if ESET might be related to the problem. Could you disable (or possibly uninstall) ESET, then try reinstalling Media Center 21 and seeing if it will launch properly?

brontotx

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 05:09:45 pm »

Try dragging the corners.

Thanks, but no corner dragging arrows to grab and doesn't allow corner dragging even when holding the mouse key down and trying to drag a corner anyway.  If you hit the almost fully visible red box to the top left or the approximately half-visible light gray box below it towards the bottom, the box closes along with the JRiver icon on the task bar.  ?

brontotx

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 05:27:16 pm »

I wonder if ESET might be related to the problem. Could you disable (or possibly uninstall) ESET, then try reinstalling Media Center 21 and seeing if it will launch properly?

I've tried disabling ESET to no avail.  ESET, to those unfamiliar with it, is a highly regarded, but very complex anti-virus/spam/malware software that I have a love/hate relationship with.  It was recommended to me by a PhD geophysicist friend of mine who works for Royal Dutch Shell and is one of their global computing initiative team members (think satellite-accessible server farms in Dubai because of the cheap electricity from cheap oil).  This team apparently looked at all the anti-virus etc. software out there and adopted ESET as Shell's standard since it is 'the best' - it also takes very little system 'overhead' since all its core functions are in one small 'kernel' (whatever that is, LOL!).  I love ESET since I've never had a problem with any sort of malware in the 10+ years I've used it, but there have been times I fought with it for days to get software to run right (e.g., whenever Logitech updated their Squeezebox software - I sold my original Squeezebox and Transporter years ago - my 'stable' music playback system would require me to manually add permissions to specific TCP ports to allow Squeezebox to function again).  

I went through all the ESET access 'rules' this afternoon and deleted those obviously related to JRiver... again to no avail.  Since my system is about a 3 or 4 year old Windows 7 build and I'm having some quirky intermittent issues with other software like Adobe Acrobat Pro, I think my only option is to start a system rebuild from ground zero (groan!).   My post was intended to see if someone else experienced the same problem to avoid the re-build. Thanks, to those who posted and please let me know if anyone else has seen this problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 05:37:11 pm »

If it is ESET causing problems, disabling it may not be enough.  Uninstall it, just to test.

Here's a list of problems caused by antivirus software:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86096.msg588759#msg588759

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 05:54:33 pm »

Thanks, but no corner dragging arrows to grab and doesn't allow corner dragging even when holding the mouse key down and trying to drag a corner anyway.

Maybe you can use the resize menu to resize it, using the keyboard.  See these links:

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-move-or-resize-an-off-screen-window-in-windows/
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-use-keyboard-move-or-resize-window-too-big-screen.htm

Good luck.

Brian.

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 06:20:24 pm »

I am not sure if this helps, but had a similar issue in Windows 10 with Chrome opening up windowed and not full screen.
The solution was to use Control Alt Delete to bring up task list, then find the offending program and right mouse click it to end task.
When Chrome was then opened, it fixed the issue......Try it, you never know, it just might be something in Windows.......Good Luck.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 06:32:01 pm »

Another trick:
Right click on the MC21 icon and select Properties. From the shortcut tab, select Run in Maximized window. Click OK, and then launch MC21 from the shortcut. You can then grab the title bar and drag it a bit to get to a "Normal" Window.
See the attached image (I used Word 'cuz I'm at work)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 06:53:33 pm »

Problem with that screenshot of the issue is that that's not the MC program, it's a dialogue trying to either warn of something, or give general information about something.

You can just make out the right edge of the button there, but what button? Is it OK or Cancel?

It's not the highlighted item, else it would be black, so, you could just try hitting "Enter" and see what happens, or TAB until the little bit of the button you can see turns black, then press enter... Nothing ventured and all that, it's what I would do anyway...

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 07:06:39 pm »

Another thought is the odd size of your desktop, if that is an unedited, full screen screen capture? 1926 x 1093 might be confusing MC's skin scaling? I'm not sure... Have you changed the Windows seven dpi settings at all?
Pages: [1]   Go Up