INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD RIPPING / MC PLAYBACK  (Read 1822 times)

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
DVD RIPPING / MC PLAYBACK
« on: September 07, 2003, 06:34:09 am »

does anyone have any suggestions re: ripping dvds and playback through mediacentre?

playback quality is the priority rather than file size.

All suggestions gratefully received ;D
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DVD RIPPING / MC PLAYBACK
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2003, 06:57:47 am »

There is a long thread on DVD ripping at AVSForum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=152400

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2003, 08:17:12 am »

Thanks Jim

I hadn't thought of my question as opening a legal "can of worms"!

Its a shame the industry can't distinguish between someone (like me) who wants to rip CD/DVD as a means of improving my ease of listening/watching and those that use, admittedly the same technology, to rob the moguls blind

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2003, 05:08:12 am »

100% agreement... I had a long winded argument against the evils of the DMCA (and its far reaching implications into computer security and encryption, peer review, being far far more important that 'media' issues) and even amoung intelligent media consumers the idea that 'anyone ripping a DVD is doing so to 'share it' or 'steal rental DVDs' seems embedded...

Most people came across with a 'nudge nudge' 'yeah but really' kind of attitude... Of course as home media servers and home nets get more powerful and as products like DVD Lobby and MC grow in popularity and use people may change thier minds... By the time J6P starts to understand the benefit of networked video media the internet speed will probably be able to 'Napster' HDTV let alone DVD...

Of course by then thier rights will have been legislated out of existance thanks to Hollings and the rest of the Senetors from Disney.  

For me as someone who buys his media its a sad state that I am tarred with the same brush as thieves.  Legislate the theft not the (fair) use.
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2003, 09:58:10 am »

I hate it when lawyers "play" with somrthing they don't understand...a bit like "HiFi" magazines ignoring the PC as a source component.

Pages: [1]   Go Up