INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC context menu doesn't work in Directory Opus  (Read 6699 times)

Emsubs

• Recent member
MC context menu doesn't work in Directory Opus
« on: October 27, 2015, 08:45:20 pm »

I have Directory Opus 11.16 and JRiver Media Center 21 installed on Win 8.1.

In Dopus, all commands under "Media Center" shell integration (Play, Add to Playing Now, Replace &...) do not respond. It won't play the file or add the file to the playlist, etc.

In File Explorer, all commands under "Media Center" are working properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

Emsubs

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC context menu doesn't work in Directory Opus
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:52:33 pm »

I don't get why so many people are focused on Windows shell integration.  MC's view system is one of it's most powerful features.  Using shell integration bypasses MC's views... or rather it ignores them.

Have you tried MC's views?  They are really, really powerful.  You can find things far more easily with a good view than even a REALLY well laid out filesystem.  Good filesystem layout is important for sure.  Good views are just plain better.  :)

Brian.

Emsubs

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 08:33:06 pm »

Yep, I use basic views. I sometimes have media files on flash drives and find it easier to just right-click them to MC.

It's not a deal breaker; I can also drag and drop files that are not in Library. It just used to work before...

Cheers

EM

Emsubs

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 08:35:51 pm »

Just an FYI...

After further research, it seems that the shell integration in MC only properly works with Windows Explorer.

This is the comment from the other software vendor after looking into the problem: "[MC] are likely making an assumption about the host process which is only true within Explorer.exe."

Cheers

Emsubs

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 07:22:24 am »

For whatever it's worth, the shell extensions work great in Total Commander.  I've been addicted to Total Commander ever since our old CTO got me hooked.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 12:34:55 pm »

Just another option: I have been using FreeCommander XE for the last month & am really enjoying it. It's totally free and very customizable. It does most of what Dopus does (I didn't use some of the heavy-duty programmer scripting, &tc).

When I first installed it, I didn't see the MC Context menu, but they reappeared after the next MC update. I used Directory Opus for years & am a fan, but it's pretty expensive & I don't do much web work any more. Just like having multiple panes and tabs, configurable shortcut icons around the panes and the ability to customize keyboard shortcuts and create complex file re-naming presets.

I like it enough that I made a donation. Just an option in case you can't get the context menus working in Dopus. (& I use the 'import' option frequently to prompt MC to update quickly when I'm working on whitburn stuff...)

Hope it helps,
William

edbro

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 06:06:24 am »

I also would love to see the context menus working in Directory Opus. DOpus's argument is that if JRiver's context menu doesn't work from inside of Notepad then it points to a flaw.

From their support forum:
I then tried it via Notepad's File Open dialog, which is a good way to test if a context menu literally only works in Explorer. Trying the Media Center > Play option on an MP3 file via Notepad's File Open dialog results in Notepad crashing every time for me.

I also tried this and it crashed Notepad.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 07:05:52 am »

I wouldn't know what to expect notepad to do if you opened an MP3 file.

edbro

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 08:48:19 am »

I wouldn't know what to expect notepad to do if you opened an MP3 file.
Try to access MC's context menu from notepad's File>Open dialog. It will crash notepad. All other context menus work fine (Mp3Tag, Renamer, etc).

stubbsy

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 08:11:39 am »

I have waited patiently for a fix for this for some months and am now really annoyed.  I have used both MC And Directory Opus without issue for a long time, but as mentioned above MC just does nothing within the latest versions of Directory Opus. Having written Shell extensions myself I know that, while not trivial, debugging such an issue is straightforward.  Right now it seems both GPSoftware (Directory Opus) and JRiver are pointing the finger at each other and users of both products are the poorer for it. Here's the Directory Opus post on this: http://resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php?t=25337

And Matt re: your comment on Total Commander above - horses for courses. For me the scriptability of DOpus beats TC any day  ;)

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 08:41:15 am »

Why would you want to play music files from a file explorer?  The whole point of MC is to have flexible, customizable, functional ways to browse and search your music.  Browsing with the file system defeats the purpose.

You're not alone of course.  I've seen posts talking about file system menu integration many times.  I just don't understand the appeal, when MC's view system is so clearly superior.

Brian.

stubbsy

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 05:45:18 pm »

Why would you want to play music files from a file explorer?
Good question, but this is not about playing the files, but rather getting files into MC :)  DOpus is scriptable and I have created a toolbar button that runs a script. While viewing a music folder I click the button which selects all the music files (and nothing else) and calls the "Media Center/Import" right click.  That then imports into MC. This can be a big time saver when you have multiple folders of music to import.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 06:06:53 pm »

I know it isn't what you want or expect, but you might be able to use the MCWS interface as a work-around.

Start here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DevZone

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 07:06:18 pm »

Good question, but this is not about playing the files, but rather getting files into MC :)  DOpus is scriptable and I have created a toolbar button that runs a script. While viewing a music folder I click the button which selects all the music files (and nothing else) and calls the "Media Center/Import" right click.  That then imports into MC. This can be a big time saver when you have multiple folders of music to import.

Hmm.  I would think that Auto Import would do this for you automatically.  Anything you want imported goes into one of your auto import directories.  I have 5 or 6 auto import directories set up.  All I do is drop folders or files into these directories and MC imports them for me.  It doesn't get a lot easier than that.  :)

Brian.

stubbsy

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 08:52:57 pm »

JimH and blgentry - thanks to both of you for your suggestions :)

WCS seems a lot of extra overhead to me, though certainly would deliver what I intend.  Auto Import seems a simpler workaround (and I'm ashamed to say it didn't occur to me  :-[). While it adds an extra step (moving each folder to my configured Auto Import location) it is otherwise seamless so it looks like that's the approach I will take until this (ever) gets fixed.

BTW the issue is only with MC itself -  Media Center/Edit works fine, but of course that's a different exe.  I wonder if it's a parameter passing issue?
Pages: [1]   Go Up