INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: STB / IR blaster guide?  (Read 3127 times)

mrfx

• Junior Woodchuck
STB / IR blaster guide?
« on: October 30, 2015, 09:18:37 am »

Hi!

I've just replaced my STB, so I tried to test IR blaster capabilities of the latest version of JRiver. I failed to setup it. I use Microsoft USB IR Blaster.

1. Tools->Options->Remote Control->Commands.

I added new commands to control STB and learned STB remote codes. When I click edit->edit->test they working fine, changing channels on STB etc.

Now I use universal remote which has programmed codes from my previous STB, so I like to learn JRiver these codes to trigger them and launch commands, but this failed. When I click "learn" to setup trigger code JRiver recognise ONLY Microsoft MCE codes and shows warning messages that these codes are in use already by JRiver and do not learn any other codes of other devices. Why? What I am doing wrong?

2. Tools->Options->Television->Manage Channels...

I can add new channel and setup IR blaster device and port but there is no option to setup IR code or assing remote code! How does it work?

3. Is there any option to run remote commands from display view and theater view?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: STB / IR blaster guide?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 09:32:31 am »

Run television setup.  Follow the TV Setup wiki.

Note that the wiki is missing the steps for IR blaster learning.  I will update it.  Hopefully, the wizard itself will be clear enough for you to follow without having to read my updates.

EDIT: I updated the TV setup wiki article to reflect recent changes and to add discussion on IR emitter learning page to it.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 10:34:00 am »

To follow up on this subject, if you change your STB that requires a different set of IR codes, the cleanest way to make it to work is the delete your old STB channels and run Setup wizard to setup a new set of STB channels.  During Setup you should be able to go through IR blaster learning process.

However, if you prefer to keep your old STB channels (for example if you had done a lot of manual customization of these channels), you can do it by editing your STB tuner profile involved in this switch-over. 

• Go to TV options, select the tuner profile from the list near the bottom, and click Configure button.  Go through the wizard pages, make changes as needed, and complete IR blaster code learning and testing.
  • If your IR blaster is Hauppauge IR Blaster (plugged into a Hauppauge video capture device), you should run Hauppauge's BlastCfg utility to setup the correct code.
  • If you have to change IR blaster device and or port number, you need to go to Manage Channels, select all affected channels, and change IR blaster device and port as appropriate.

3. Is there any option to run remote commands from display view and theater view?

Do you mean whether you can setup IR blaster in Theater view?  The answer is no.  You have to run setup tasks in Standard view.

mrfx

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 01:59:51 pm »

I got stuck at XMLTV - I had no good TV EPG Source for Poland. I choosed no file and it looks like scanning channels for STB working only with EPG source, right? Does setup just get channels from XMLTV file, right?

OK, I found some EPG source and tried again - now scanning has found some channels (only few) and added them to TV setup and channel numbers has been assigned and now I think I see how it works!  ;D I also add some more channels manually. Now when I press number keys while watching TV then STB channels are changing, but I cannot change the channels order  :( There are buttons "Move Up" / "Move Down" but still I have to press 52 for changing to STB 52 channel. Is it possible to set for example "1" for STB's "52" channel?

Do you mean whether you can setup IR blaster in Theater view?  The answer is no.  You have to run setup tasks in Standard view.

I mean there is JRiver Setup "Remote Control" section and there are "Commands". I have created there some commands that control my AV receiver, STB, Projector etc. (I have more than one blaster) Now while watching TV or in Theater View I would like to choose a command and run it. Is it possible?

BTW I have used JRiver "capture only" TV mode so far and I am very happy with it  :) because I use universal remote which control all my devices and my STB has time shifting, recording, great EPG and a lot of good VOD services, so all my questions are more just out of curiosity than really need, but the answers may help other users too. :)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 02:23:18 pm »

I got stuck at XMLTV - I had no good TV EPG Source for Poland. I choosed no file and it looks like scanning channels for STB working only with EPG source, right? Does setup just get channels from XMLTV file, right?

When setting up STB channels, we do require an EPG source because all channels are obtained from the EPG file (XMLTV for example).  Once the channels are setup, MC will get programming info from the same EPG source.

OK, I found some EPG source and tried again - now scanning has found some channels (only few) and added them to TV setup and channel numbers has been assigned and now I think I see how it works!  ;D I also add some more channels manually. Now when I press number keys while watching TV then STB channels are changing, but I cannot change the channels order  :( There are buttons "Move Up" / "Move Down" but still I have to press 52 for changing to STB 52 channel. Is it possible to set for example "1" for STB's "52" channel?

In TV Options, click "Manage Channels".  On the resulting window you can sort the order of channels.  The simplest way is the click the "Channel" header.  Each click sorts the channels in a different way.  If you see "Channel (12-3 ABC)" in the header, it means the channels are sorted with the channel number in front.  So basically it is sorted by the channel number.  Similarly "Channel (ABC)" means the channels are sorted by channel name, without regard to channel number.  Thus "171 AMC" is before "154 BBC World News", for example.

Keep clicking until you are most satisfied with the order, then you can do some manual ordering by selecting some channels and click "Move up" or "Move down" buttons.  After that, click "Save channel order" button to save the final order.  From then on your default channel order will be the custom channel order you just created.  Make sure you remember to click Save Channel order button.

I mean there is JRiver Setup "Remote Control" section and there are "Commands". I have created some commands that control my AV receiver, STB, Projector etc. (I have more than one blaster) Now while watching TV or in Theater View I would like to choose a command and run it. Is it possible?

The commands setup in "Remote control" should work in any view since they generally are mapped to some remote control keys.  You can press the key in any view to execute a command.  I personally have not used these commands, so I do not know for sure, but some commands may be view specific.
Pages: [1]   Go Up