INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC From JRiver to an Oppo BDP-103 via DLNA - Tags - A Solution  (Read 4947 times)

tlbriley

• Recent member
FLAC From JRiver to an Oppo BDP-103 via DLNA - Tags - A Solution
« on: November 08, 2015, 03:59:19 pm »

Ever since I got my Oppo BDP-103, I have wanted to push FLAC files from JRiver MC to the Oppo via DLNA. The files played fine. The problem was that the tags didn't appear on the monitor. I now have it working.

This is what my settings were in JRiver and this is what I changed:

"Tools.Options.Media Control.Add or configure DLNA servers..."

My DLNA server is of type "Audiophile 24-bit DAC". I chose this based on the information I found here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DAC_Settings

If you read that page, you will find that it recommends that under "Audio", that "Mode" be set to "Specified output format" and that "Format" be set to "PCM 24 Bit".

Result: Using these settings, all that appeared on the monitor connected to the Oppo was the song title.

I changed "Mode" from "Specified output format" to "Original".

Result: Changing this one setting, the following appeared on the monitor connected to the Oppo: song title, artist, album, genre, and album art!

In theory, there was a change in audio quality, but I couldn't hear it. YMMV.

I tried this last year using MC19 and it worked for MP3's but not for FLAC. Does it work now due to a change in the Oppo? Due to a change in JRiver Media Center? Something else? Really, there is no telling. I'm just happy this is working now!

Hopefully this post will help someone from killing as much time on this as I did.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: FLAC From JRiver to an Oppo BDP-103 via DLNA - Tags - A Solution
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 04:12:45 pm »

Thanks for posting what you found.

tlbriley

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 07:09:31 pm »

One of my issues has been that I don't understand the options under Media Network. I configured it using the advice of this page, http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DAC_Settings, but I didn't really understand what I was setting. Perhaps one of you can help.

The page has this: "The "Mode:" should normally be "Specified output format". The "Format:" should normally be set to "PCM 24 bit"."

My question is why would you want to change "Format" from "Original" to "Specified output format", and then select "PCM 24 bit"? Doing this strips out tags. What does it gain?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:00:23 am »

Indeed.

By the way, the reason why the Oppo displays tags on Flac files and not on Pcm, actually has nothing to do with MC at all. In both cases, MC pushes the tags to the player properly using the UPNP standard commands. However in both cases the Oppo totally ignores the tags sent. And the reason why the Oppo displays the tags of the native file is only that instead of reading the properly sent tags, it reads the original tags that are embedded in the native file itself. It works. But it is not compliant to the UPNP specifications. Also the Oppo displays tags when it reads them, so if they are at the start of the track (as usually in Flac and MP3), it can show them. But if the tags are at the end (as is often the case on WAV files), it only reads the tags at the very end of playing the track...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

jdeaton0622

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 03:02:38 pm »

Stupid question, what’s a “tag”, is it:
•   The file type, FLAC, MP3, WAV, etc?
•   Or is it the album cover art?
•   Or something else?

In my case up until recently when I was forced to reload the operating system on my old Vista PC due to a supposed imminent hard drive failure,  I was reliably streaming via DLNA, FLAC  files (identified as FLAC) with cover art in all resolutions including 44.1K, 96K and 192K to my Oppo BDP-93 and my BDP-105D (both connected via HDMI)

I’m quite sure I was indeed receiving high resolution digital audio as both my old living room Marantz receiver and my media room Classe SSP accurately and correctly reported/displayed either 96K or 192K when receiving streamed high rez signals.

Now after the OS reload and upgrade to Media Center 21, I have lost DLNA streamed cover art.  Initially all material was reported as being MP3 (yuck!) audio, but now after changing to “24 bit” I am receiving streamed high resolution audio, but the files are labeled as “WAV”  not FLAC and I still have no album art on the TV(s).

My next move (as soon as the next batch of "Windows updates" is loaded, do they ever end?) is to change from 24 bit output to “original” and see what happens. 

Interesting I didn’t have any issues streaming high rez files with MC-18 or 19, nor do I recall adjusting any of my MC audio settings back in the "old days" when every thing was fine.

I really like MC and JRemote a bunch, this is not a rant!

What MC settings do I need to change?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 03:52:27 pm »

As mentioned in my prior post, the Oppo does not display meta data (tags) when you push to it in transcoded PCM L16 or L24 or WAV formats. However it does display the meta data when you push in original FLAC format. This is a "feature" (bug) of the Oppo and it has nothing to do with MC (which pushes the meta data properly in all those cases)..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

jdeaton0622

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 06:54:15 pm »

Thanks all!

Proof positive “Original Recipe” is superior to “Extra Crispy”.

Tbriley and Andrew have resolved my problem.

Changing the output mode to “Original” has restored the meta data on both my Oppo players.  My displays now reference my files as FLAC files (which they are) and my music plays in its original resolution up to 192K.

Consider me one happy camper!

Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up