INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The RM&C issue with SACD ISOs (poor man's sidecar tagging)  (Read 2253 times)

jacobacci

• Galactic Citizen
The RM&C issue with SACD ISOs (poor man's sidecar tagging)
« on: November 10, 2015, 05:47:41 am »

Hi all
I'm revamping my classical tagging structure. Thanks a lot to everyone for all the help I got so far. All is fine with FLAC files. I used RM&C to move files into new locations and then delete and reimport them.
With SACD ISOs I'm a bit stuck. The issue seems to be known https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96837.0
I would like to end up with the new directories containing both the SACD ISO and folder.jpg.

In order to keep the tags of the SACD ISOs (in absence of sidecar tagging), I have used the following workaround:
- Did a RM&C using [Album Artist]\[Album] +[Year]+ ç[Genre]ç (used delimiters which do not occur in the Album names)
- Deleted the files from the library
- Reimported them from the new directory
- Did a Fill Properties from File Names using [Artist]\[Album] +[Year]+ ç[Genre]ç
Lo and behold, my Year and Genre Tags were back

The thing I am stuck with is the folder.jpg. They remain in the original pre-move directories and I would like to have them in the new directories. Having two directories in which files relative to an ISO reside is just not good practice. I am looking for a way (1'000 plus ISOs) to move the folder.jpg's to the new directories. I tried saving the covers to the 'same folder as the file' but no luck.

At least the poor man's sidecar tagging works.
Now if the folder.jpg issue could be solved .........

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: The RM&C issue with SACD ISOs (poor man's sidecar tagging)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 06:12:01 am »

For a one off like this I'd use what I do a lot of at work - use text manipulation and Excel. . . (assuming it's not trivial in MC).

Basically I'd dump a path and file listing of the source folder.jpgs. Then assuming you can easily map these old directories to the new ones (alphabetical sorting *may* be enough) import both these into Excel and use this to build 1000 file copy statements the source and destination directories coming form your imported path listings. Test. Then cut and paste the remaining 998 commands into a command window and duck for cover :D

Not elegant, but quick and effective. If it all goes wrong turn the copy statement into a delete statement to undo. . .  :)

Now if the *path* to the folder.jpg is embedded in the sidecar.XML and needs updating that's more tricky but from the information in excel it would be possible to build more command line statements to run a tool called 'sed' to do in-line search and replace edits of the paths to the folder.jpg.

Ok, this is getting a bit more 'down and dirty' and you can probably hear the spurs jangling on my boots at this point but for a one off it *may* be acceptable. . . .  :)

Spike

PS Who has a 1000 SACD ISOs?  :o

jacobacci

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 06:31:37 am »

Hi Spike. Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like a real 'get your hands dirty' pro's approach. I would need to do a bit of thinking to get this to work.
The dealbreaker is that I retagged all my ISOs while they are sitting in the old directory structure. The old tags were identical to the directory structure, which means that alle the spelling etc. errors that were in the old tags, are also in the old directory structure.
The retagging was from this

[Composer]\[Artist] - [Album] to
[Artist]\[Composer] - [Album]

and included a lot of spelling corrections. So the new directory names cannot be derived from the old ones. If the ISOs had a unique identifier that remained constant during the retagging it would work.

I guess I could use two explorer windows with the old and the new directory tree and then drag the files across. Half a day should do it.

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 07:23:31 am »

I guess I could use two explorer windows with the old and the new directory tree and then drag the files across. Half a day should do it.

That would be quite a grim half day  :)

Let's take this off line and PM each other (I think we can do that from info in our profiles).

If it's Windows (?) and it's a simple file copy (and it sounds like it is) I think I can probably get (very?) close to what you need from 2 directory listings. . .

I'll PM you and I'll send you the commands I'd like you to run to produce the two files I need. I'll take a look and see if it's practical to discombobulate them together and produce the commands you need to run  :)

Spike

jacobacci

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 03:31:07 am »

In order to keep the tags of the SACD ISOs (in absence of sidecar tagging), I have used the following workaround:
- Did a RM&C using [Album Artist]\[Album] +[Year]+ ç[Genre]ç (used delimiters which do not occur in the Album names)
- Deleted the files from the library
- Reimported them from the new directory
- Did a Fill Properties from File Names using [Artist]\[Album] +[Year]+ ç[Genre]ç
Lo and behold, my Year and Genre Tags were back

I was wondering whether it is necessary to use delimiters which do not occur in the Album names. I read somewhere that JRiver parses expressions from right to left, so I could possibly just use parentheses as delimiters (as long as the parentheses do not occur in the tags themselves). Is this a correct assumption?
Pages: [1]   Go Up