INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDHomerun not showing up in TV devices  (Read 25789 times)

kieran

• Recent member
HDHomerun not showing up in TV devices
« on: November 14, 2015, 08:14:42 pm »

Total newbie here! :) Coming from Kodi & WMC.
So, I've been trying to follow the TV setup wizard, and I've got my firewall open for MC, and I've turned on DLNA in MC.  My HDHomeRun Prime shows up in the left-hand window of MC under "Playing from Main Library" as a library apparently?
But when I get to the part of the TV wizard to select devices for CableCard, nothing shows up.
Here is, I think, a picture, although it doesn't seem to be showing up...
http://imgur.com/tMUca68

Any suggestions on how to get this going would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kieran

• Recent member
Re: HDHomerun not showing up in TV devices
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 08:16:08 pm »

Oh, and I am able to view channels from the HDHR prime in WMC, and via DLNA on my TV if I want, so I know the Prime is working fine...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 09:20:13 pm »

Before testing JRiver MC TV functionality, you need to disable WMC and its two Services running in the background, or there will be clashes over the tuners. WMC will still "touch" TV tuners even when the program isn't running, as the background services check the tuners for EPG updates or something like that, and use them if a recording is scheduled.

Once WMC is disabled, follow the instructions in this old post to make the HDHR Prime visible as a TV tuner: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80659.0
Note that the HDHR Prime should show up in the "Tools/Options/Television/Manage Devices" dialogue. If it doesn't show up, post back here and someone will help.

You are seeing the HDHomeRun under Playing Now as it is being seen as a DLNA server. Unfortunately I don't have the tuner, so I don't know if that is normal. There have been a few recent threads discussing the HDHR Prime though, so a search should find the information you need.

Also search the Wiki. A lot of the articles are a bit out of date, but some are very recent. For example: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/TV_Setup
Also search the forum for "WMC" and you will find lots to read and learn about MC.

See how you go with that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 12:11:13 am »

Thanks very much for the reply! :D
First of all, there's no WMC to worry about, as I'm running on Win10.  I should have stated that, I know.  I did mention that I've been using WMC, but not on this particular computer (or at least not since I upgraded this machine to Win10 anyway).  I can see/use the HDHRPrime in WMC on a different machine in the house.
Second, I had already followed the directions in that old post, although I'd found them elsewhere via searching the wiki I think.  So yes, the DLNA is enabled, etc.
The HDHR Prime does not show up in the "Tools/Options/Television/Manage Devices" dialogue.  
Hmmm...
Any other ideas?  I've searched the wiki, read the TV setup page, and a few others.  I'm stumped.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 12:46:10 am »

Hmmm, may need to wait for Yaobing or someone who actually has the card (and Windows 10) to come along and help.

I'm not even sure if the HDHR Prime should show up in Device Manager, since it is connected via DLNA.

There was a thread that discussed issues with getting HDHR Prime to work in MC, but I can't find it now. Maybe if you get your search mojo working, you will be able to find it.  8)

One thought, the HDHR Prime does need to be on the same network segment as the MC PC. Do you have it set up that way?
Also, at least one person has issues with a hardware firewall (a router I think) blocking DLNA from the PC to the HDHR Prime. This was inside a home network, using a "Security Appliance" type device, if memory serves me.

In fact it was something to do with the way AT&T installed his network, and I think one device (PC or HDHR Prime) was on a wireless network, and the other was on Ethernet.

Maybe test a direct Ethernet connection between the PC and the HDHR Prime if you can, which will require a little IP Address setting up. Or via a switch that both are connected to.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 01:21:57 am »

There was a thread that discussed issues with getting HDHR Prime to work in MC, but I can't find it now. Maybe if you get your search mojo working, you will be able to find it.  8)
Might you mean this thread? I read through that too, and haven't found anything that I haven't done. :(

One thought, the HDHR Prime does need to be on the same network segment as the MC PC. Do you have it set up that way?
I'm not sure what it means to be on the same network segment, but all my devices are on 192.168.1.XXX if that's what you mean.
Also, at least one person has issues with a hardware firewall (a router I think) blocking DLNA from the PC to the HDHR Prime. This was inside a home network, using a "Security Appliance" type device, if memory serves me.
I don't think this applies to me; I use a standard Asus router, and have no firewalls set up within my LAN, that I know of, save for the standard Windows firewall, to which I added MC already.

In fact it was something to do with the way AT&T installed his network, and I think one device (PC or HDHR Prime) was on a wireless network, and the other was on Ethernet.

Maybe test a direct Ethernet connection between the PC and the HDHR Prime if you can, which will require a little IP Address setting up. Or via a switch that both are connected to.
Currently this machine is on wireless, even though it is a desktop PC, as the Ethernet lines leading to its location were physically compromised recently.  Placing it on ethernet would not be feasible right now.  I could try installing MC on my win7 nettop which is my current media box running my HT; however this would be undesirable since I'm using WMC there at the moment and for fear of the WAF don't want to screw that system up at all.  :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 02:14:35 am »

Yes. Beware of compromising the WAF.

The thread I was thinking of was more recent than that. In the last couple of months, I think. I still can't find it, but did find this one, which shows you are not entirely alone: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100169.msg694076#msg694076
You may want to even try the "Device Spy" program mentioned to see if it can see the tuner.

192.168.1.xxx means they are all on the same segment.

The Windows firewall could be allowing MC, but blocking the DLNA protocol. Not sure. It has been a long time since I used the Windows Firewall. Also, there have been significant security changes in Windows 10, and I'm still on Windows 7.

Wireless should be okay then, as long as all devices are on the same network segment, with IP Addresses supplied by the one router.

Back to waiting for someone who has a Prime and can help, I think.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 07:27:53 am »

We look for devices that contain the string "HDHomeRun Prime Tuner" in them.  If they are not found, we can not use them.

On my computer (Windows 7), "HDHomeRun Prime Tuner" shows up in Windows Device Manager under "Sound, video and game controllers" whereas "HDHomerun DMS ..." shows up under "System devices".  Inside MC, "HDHomerun DMS ..." does not show up at all.  I wonder if this has to do with Windows 10, or just your installation.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 05:00:07 pm »

One thing you could try, when it won't affect the WAF, is to completely shutdown the WMC PC so that it can't be trying to use the HDHomerun Prime at all. If you aren't using the TV to display MC, then maybe turn that off as well. Just to see if the tuners turn up when you use MC to look for them again. Maybe reboot the tuners and your MC PC before trying to find the tuners, so you have a known state and the tuners are definitely not in use.

Oh, and I am able to view channels from the HDHR prime in WMC, and via DLNA on my TV if I want, so I know the Prime is working fine...

I glossed over the fact that your TV can see and use the HDHomerun Prime tuners earlier. What are they named on the TV, and in fact, what are they named in WMC?

Finally, did you get to try the "Device Spy" software?
Yaobing, would the output of "Device Spy" help you in determining if MC should find the tuners? It seems to find a pretty comprehensive set of data about a DLNA device.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 06:54:11 pm »

Device Spy will help.

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 06:02:35 pm »

Can someone recommend a safe location to download Device Spy?  Bing & Google both provide multiple places to download, not sure which is the latest/legit version.
Thanks.

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 06:22:21 pm »

We look for devices that contain the string "HDHomeRun Prime Tuner" in them.  If they are not found, we can not use them.

On my computer (Windows 7), "HDHomeRun Prime Tuner" shows up in Windows Device Manager under "Sound, video and game controllers" whereas "HDHomerun DMS ..." shows up under "System devices".  Inside MC, "HDHomerun DMS ..." does not show up at all.  I wonder if this has to do with Windows 10, or just your installation.
Here's a screen snip from Kodi where I add the HDHR Prime as a UPNP video source.  I just did this on this Win10 pc, and it worked fine.  I could view all my channels (except for the DRM ones like HBO of course).
kodi screen shot

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 06:38:37 pm »

We look for devices that contain the string "HDHomeRun Prime Tuner" in them.  If they are not found, we can not use them.

On my computer (Windows 7), "HDHomeRun Prime Tuner" shows up in Windows Device Manager under "Sound, video and game controllers" whereas "HDHomerun DMS ..." shows up under "System devices".  Inside MC, "HDHomerun DMS ..." does not show up at all.  I wonder if this has to do with Windows 10, or just your installation.
Just realized what you are saying here... MC looks for devices on the *local* computer?  How is that?  The HDHR-Prime is a device on the network.  My HDHR-Prime does not appear in my Device Manager at all.
Here's a screen shot of my network devices:
http://postimg.org/image/tpl7pw4m1/

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 06:51:05 pm »

OK, I got Device Spy installed and working.  Here's a screen shot from that:
http://postimg.org/image/nszpm5x7x/

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 07:38:30 pm »

Just realized what you are saying here... MC looks for devices on the *local* computer?  How is that?  The HDHR-Prime is a device on the network.  My HDHR-Prime does not appear in my Device Manager at all.

I think Yaobing was just clarifying that he is using a Windows 7 PC, and is not using Windows 10 yet. I also believe, based on earlier posts, that what appears in his Device Manager is for non-tuner functions of the  HDHomerun Prime. The tuner function doesn't require a driver, so doesn't (shouldn't?) appear in the Device Manager. Muzicman0 confirmed that in his installation.

See these posts;
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101149.msg702636#msg702636
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101149.msg702658#msg702658
In fact read the whole thread.

I think your Device Spy output clarifies the issue a bit.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 09:37:04 pm »

What I was saying was we look for network devices that have "HDHomerun Prime Tuner" in their names.  Your Device Spy screen shot confirms that they are present.  So I am puzzled why we did not detect them.  Did you make sure that "DLNA Controller (control other devices)" checkbox is checked under Advanced in Media Network options?

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 10:37:19 pm »

What I was saying was we look for network devices that have "HDHomerun Prime Tuner" in their names.  Your Device Spy screen shot confirms that they are present.  So I am puzzled why we did not detect them.  Did you make sure that "DLNA Controller (control other devices)" checkbox is checked under Advanced in Media Network options?
Yes, it is checked.
EDIT:
Now the tuners are showing up for some reason. I don't know why. I have done nothing to the system.  Very strange.  All I can think of that I did was install Device Spy and run it.  I had restarted MC many times, and let it sit for hours, checking every so often with the TV set up wizard to see if the tuners would show up, and nothing... until now.  Weird.
I'll continue with the set up now and report any other problems (hopefully none).

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 10:47:20 pm »

Spoke too soon maybe?
The tuners are showing up, but I see no way of selecting the "Download EPG Automatically" option that is supposed to exist in MC20+.  Was this taken away recently?
The options for "method for loading electronic program guide" shown to me, after selecting the three hdhr tuners and clicking next, are:
mc2xml
XMLTV
PercData

No automatic option.

?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 11:04:29 pm »

Are you using MC20?

I must admit that I assumed you were on the latest MC21 because you only started looking at MC mid-November.

You need to be on he latest MC21 to get the fixed and new EPG functionality, and just a whole lot better TV functionality.

Top of the MC21 for Windows forum, over here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=43.0  Current public release is MC21.0.19.

If you are currently on MC20, that could explain the problem with the HDHomerun Prime. Again, I recall someone else having problems until they upgraded to MC21.

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 11:08:30 pm »

No, I'm on MC21.  But the wiki says that for MC20+ (meaning all versions above 20, including 21...  ::) ) that there is an "automatic download" option for the EPG, and it shows an image with that option above the mc2xml and xmltv and perc data options.  But for me that automatic option is not there...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 11:38:42 pm »

Unfortunately the Wiki was originally written just before Microsoft change their EPG source to Rovi, and that upset the applecart for quite a while. Basically, everybody who needs the same EPG data that was available in WMC needs to be on MC21.

I can't remember if you have said where you are located, but PercData will only show up if you have set you Country to America, I believe. I haven't and can't really test that, as I'm in Australia. So I assumed that you are in the USA, particularly as you are interested in the DRM DVR capabilities. If so, then CountryBumkin's write-up is good material to read through. As even that doesn't have the PercData source mentioned in it, have a look at this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100757.0  This stuff has changed so quickly that the write-ups and Wiki haven't kept up.

PS: I think that you are correct in that the "Download EPG Automatically" option has recently been removed, because that was the old Microsoft EPG source. Now the free automatic download is via the mc2xml option, or the PrecData option that requires a paid account with PercData. XMLTV is used when the EPG data is sourced externally to MC, and imported using an XMLTV file. That is what I have to do in Australia.

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 11:53:57 pm »

I guess I was misinformed in this thread then:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101223.0
see replies #29 and #30.
That's very disappointing, as easy/auto setup is the key feature that WMC had over EVERYONE ELSE.... and DRM, but really I went to WMC before I needed the DRM support, because it was the only diy DVR that "just worked".  So far this experience with MC is not nearly as WMC was to set up.

I'm in California, and yes the main reason for me to check out MC is for the DRM support that may come via the kickstarter.  It would be as a long-term replacement to WMC.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 12:20:37 am »

No those posts are correct. Microsoft now use Rovi as their source for EPG data, and it is accessed using the mc2xml option. I think if you look through the threads I linked to, mc2xml can be used for other sources as well, such as Schedules Direct. But during setup select mc2xml and whichever is presented, Microsoft or Rovi.

That option is completely free for USA users. It may not be as easy to set up as WMC was, but nothing ever will be, because no-one else will ever have the influence that Microsoft has had on suppliers.

You may have seen my little rant about comparing MC to WMC in the first part of this post: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100782.msg703151#msg703151

What MC Doesn't have is the ability to download EPG data from the broadcast stream. But most Americans say that doesn't matter, as the data isn't very good in most areas anyway. Hence, the Microsoft/Rovi solution. Previously Microsoft used zap2it data, which is GraceNote data.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 06:24:41 am »

What MC Doesn't have is the ability to download EPG data from the broadcast stream. But most Americans say that doesn't matter, as the data isn't very good in most areas anyway.
MC can get the program information from the channel itself if it's there.  At least in the U.S.  The problem is, as you say, the data isn't very good.  It is usually only good for a couple of days.

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 02:11:53 pm »

No those posts are correct. Microsoft now use Rovi as their source for EPG data, and it is accessed using the mc2xml option. I think if you look through the threads I linked to, mc2xml can be used for other sources as well, such as Schedules Direct. But during setup select mc2xml and whichever is presented, Microsoft or Rovi.
No, if what you're saying here is true, then those posts are not correct. I asked in that thread who the data provider was for the "automated/built-in" EPG data for MC.  He responded "Rovi." But what you're saying here is that there is not any "automated" EPG system any longer.

That option is completely free for USA users. It may not be as easy to set up as WMC was, but nothing ever will be, because no-one else will ever have the influence that Microsoft has had on suppliers.

So what happened to the "automatic EPG data" option?  I'm talking about the option at the top of the second figure/image on this section of the EPG wiki page:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/EPG#MC20.2B

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 03:23:51 pm »

No, if what you're saying here is true, then those posts are not correct. I asked in that thread who the data provider was for the "automated/built-in" EPG data for MC.  He responded "Rovi." But what you're saying here is that there is not any "automated" EPG system any longer.
So what happened to the "automatic EPG data" option?  I'm talking about the option at the top of the second figure/image on this section of the EPG wiki page:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/EPG#MC20.2B

Instead of "Automatic", just choose MC2XML, which downloads data automatically from Rovi.  Just think of it this way: in MC21, the MC2XML mode is the "new automatic mode".

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 03:29:14 pm »

Instead of "Automatic", just choose MC2XML, which downloads data automatically from Rovi.  Just think of it this way: in MC21, the MC2XML mode is the "new automatic mode".
OK, thanks.  Just to satisfy my curiosity though, what happened to the original "automatic mode" that is (still) referred to in the wiki?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 03:53:07 pm »

OK, thanks.  Just to satisfy my curiosity though, what happened to the original "automatic mode" that is (still) referred to in the wiki?

The original automatic mode became non-functional because Microsoft stopped sourcing EPG data from zap2it and switched to Rovi.

The wiki article became outdated shortly after it was written, due to this change.  This is often the case with this fast-changing software.  We have a hard time keeping up with documentation.  I will update the wiki when I have time (hopefully soon).

astromo

• MC Beta Team
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2015, 04:23:47 pm »

No, if what you're saying here is true, then those posts are not correct.

Sorry, I could have worded that response better.

As Jim and Yaobing have explained, the option named "Download EPG automatically (recommended)" has been removed, and now you should use the mc2xml option, but once set up the EPG collection process is fully automatic using software integrated into MC.

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2015, 04:28:10 pm »

The original automatic mode became non-functional because Microsoft stopped sourcing EPG data from zap2it and switched to Rovi.

The wiki article became outdated shortly after it was written, due to this change.  This is often the case with this fast-changing software.  We have a hard time keeping up with documentation.  I will update the wiki when I have time (hopefully soon).
I guess what has me surprised/confused are two things:
1) how did MS's use of zap2it and/or Rovi affect JRiver MC?  If MC was using zap2it, why did MS switching from zap2it to Rovi have any affect at all on MC?  Can JR not access the zap2it data on its own?  I would think this would be ideal; the zap2it data are very good.
2) is that MS switched from zap2it to Rovi way back in... April/May 2015, IIRC.  (I spent most of the summer with no guide data whatsoever because their "rollover" (ironic term, IMO) process didn't work for a large percentage of WMC users.) Yet, many of the posts on this forum discussing the use of the MS/zap2it data, seem to be from September of this year.

I understand the troubles of trying to keep up with documentation. No worries there. I would recommend though just a quick edit of the wiki with a bold/red heading saying something like "the following instructions/sections are/may be now outdated, please find help in the Interact forum until this wiki can be updated."

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2015, 04:34:11 pm »

Please just work on getting an EPG set up.  You could read old threads from a few months ago to learn what happened with EPG's.

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2015, 06:14:11 pm »

Please just work on getting an EPG set up.  You could read old threads from a few months ago to learn what happened with EPG's.
OUCH! Slapped on the wrist by the head honcho... :(
Sorry for asking benign questions, and hijacking my OWN thread.  I can only work on setting things up when I'm both at home, and my kids are put to bed... and I'm still awake.  That leaves a couple hours, late PST, at most.  In the mean time, I am just trying to learn about your product.  Some topics are not easily found with search terms, especially when the answer is buried on page 132 of a 200 page thread... (for example).
Sheesh...
 ::)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2015, 07:03:44 pm »

Life is tough.

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2015, 10:37:08 pm »

Life is tough.
Indeed. Hobbies shouldn't be.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2015, 04:51:49 pm »

Here's a possibly similar problem that was solved:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101388.msg703245#msg703245

kieran

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2015, 06:40:48 pm »

Thanks for that link.  The problem was not a conflict with WMC (I don't think it was anyway) as the machine is a Win10 machine, so WMC isn't present.  Although there is a separate win7 machine on the network which accesses and uses the HDHR-prime via WMC...

Regardless, in case you missed it in the posts above, my problem spontaneously resolved itself, UNFORTUNATELY.  I say unfortunately, because it REALLY bothers me when I don't know what was causing a problem.  Now, if it happens again, I'll have no idea how to fix it, other than to wait and hope.  LOL

But anyway, at least I can test & play with JRMC21 as a DVR for my DRM-free channels now.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2015, 04:17:36 pm »

I am having the same problem with my HDHomeRun Prime not showing up in MC21's TV devices. Even though I have followed the recommendations in this thread and the links provided here, I haven't been able to get this to work.

1. I have run the setup wizard multiple times. It identifies my HDHomeRun Dual ATSC Tuner, but not my HDHomeRun Prime. The list of devices is blank when I select 'Digital cable or satellite' as my device and 'CableCARD' as the tuner type.

2. My HDHomeRun Prime software is installed on this PC and works with the HDHomeRun VIEW program. In other words, I can view TV from both the HDHomeRun Dual and Prime on this PC with the VIEW program. I don't run Windows Media Center on this PC, so it has not been configured. This PC is normally a headless server located in a closet. It is connected to our whole house audio system. It serves a couple other PCs. The other PCs also run WMC, but I use MC for listening to music and watching movies. I am testing to see if MC21 is a viable replacement for WMC for watching TV. All of my PCs run Windows 7 and my cable subscriber is Charter Communications and the only channels they flag as 'copy once' are the premium channels. Since I don't subscribe to the premium channels, theoretically, MC 21 should work with my HDHomeRun Prime. BTW, I was told that since my other PCs always load the server's library, I need to setup the TV feature on the server before doing so with the clients. So I connected a monitor to the server instead of working with it remotely with Window's Remote Desktop Connection, like I normally do.

3. I made sure my Windows firewall allows MC21 access through the firewall.

4. I have enabled the option "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA". This feature works fine with my movies and music in my library.

5. WMC has not been run on this PC and none of the WMC related programs are listed in my list of processes in task manager. However, the ehRecvr service is running and I am not allowed to stop it.

6. The HDHomeRun Prime does not show up in the "Tools/Options/Television/Manage Devices" dialogue.

7. My HDHomeRun Prime does not show up under Window's Device Manager list of 'Sound, video and game controller" devices. HDHomeRun DMS 13106531 is not in the System devices either. Like kieran mentioned, the HDHomeRuns are not local devices. They are connected to the network, so they probably should not appear under Device Manager.

However, HDHomeRun DMS 1310651 is in the MC21 list of libraries. I downloaded, installed and ran 'Device Spy' and it appears 3 times:

HDHomeRun DMS 13106531
HDHomeRun DRI Tuner 13106531
HDHomeRun RUI 13106531

8. The "DLNA Controller (control other devices)" checkbox is checked under Advanced in Media Network options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2015, 05:15:23 pm »

In Device Spy, do you see three tuners under "HDHomeRun DRI Tuner 13106531", that would be named "HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 13106531-0" etc.?

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2015, 05:26:45 pm »

In Device Spy, do you see three tuners under "HDHomeRun DRI Tuner 13106531", that would be named "HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 13106531-0" etc.?

Yes, -0, -1 and -2

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2015, 06:04:28 pm »

Please email me a log file.

yaobing at jriver dot com

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2015, 06:30:58 pm »

Yaobing-

The HDHomeRun Prime is showing up now. I wish I knew exactly what changed to make this work so I could help others who might have this same problem.

Here's what I tried.

1. In Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers, I picked 'Add a device' and added all HDHomeRun related devices. After restarting MC21 and waiting several minutes before running the setup wizard, this didn't seem to help.
2. I shut off the HD HomeRun Prime and waited about 30 seconds before restarting. Again, that didn't seem to help.
3. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a conflict between MC20 and MC21 so I ended all MC related processes, including servers. After restarting MC21 and running the television setup wizard, my HDHomeRun Prime tuners appeared.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2015, 06:34:20 pm »

Puzzling.   Quite similar to kieran's situation.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2015, 12:39:56 pm »

I have the HDHomeRun tuners working with the server, which again, is a headless PC located in a closet. Now I am trying to get this working on the client HTPCs. I am setting up all my channel definitions (as per your instruction in my other long-winded post) on the server PC and hoping they will appear when I watch TV from the client.

The client HTPC recognized the ATSC tuners, but not the CableCARD tuners.

The local libraries for the clients are empty, so I always load the library from the server. I don't have the option 'Use Media Network to share this library and enable DNLA' enabled on the client because it doesn't have its own library (or it's empty).

Do I have to enable the Media Network on the client and run a server there as well?

It would be nice if the television feature were to work in the client/server environment just like the audio and video features. Meaning, I shouldn't need to run the server on the client because I'm not sharing the client's library.

The client/server features are a little confusing with the HDHomeRuns. Since the HDHomeRuns are attached to the network, any PC on the network can use them if they have software for watching TV, like Windows Media Center or MC21. What is confusing is how this works with MC21 and the client/server capabilities.

A single PC setup would be this:

TV Tuner ------> PC ----> Recording TV folder

A client/server setup:

Router
       |    |
       |     ----> TV Tuner ----> Server
       |
       ----------> Client PC ----> Recording TV folder

Single PC setup with HDHomeRun tuners:

HDHomeRun Tuners
             |
          Router ----> PC ----> Recording TV folder

A client/server setup with HDHomeRun tuners:

HDHomeRun Tuners
            |
         Router
          |     |
          |      --> Server
          |
           -------> Clent PC ------> Recording TV folder

As you can see, the client PC can use the TV tuners without going through the server. Does the client/server design assume that the TV tuners are installed in the server and that any client PC will use the server's tuners when watching and recording TV? I suppose it really doesn't make any difference if the client uses the server's tuners or its own tuners as long as there are tuners available for viewing.

Thanks, I really appreciate your patience and support!

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2015, 01:05:49 pm »

I went ahead and enabled the option to 'Use Media Network to share this library and enable DNLA' on the client (like I said before, this doesn't make sense to me) and now the client sees all the HDHomeRun tuners - ATSC and CableCARD. However, when you run the setup to use these tuners it runs a channel scan.

There is a list of channels from the server and now it gets the channels from the client. How does this work? Can I use the server's channel list or do I need to edit/group the channels again on the client?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2015, 01:44:50 pm »

TV setup works best with all tuners on the server.  Clients do not need to access the tuners.

Just turn on the network settings on the server (the setting you did in order to see HDHomeRun Prime tuners on that machine).  

On clients, try loading the server's library.  File > Library > Library Manager... and click "Add Library...".  On Add Library dialog, give the library a name (such as the machine name of your server), select Library Server, enter access key or URL.

Once the client has loaded the server library, it runs on a copy of the server's library and will not need to run TV setup.

You will be able to schedule TV recordings from the client machine, but recordings will only happen on the server.  Client do not need to access your network tuners at all.  The server runs the tuner, and streams the video to the clients.

Since you ended up setting up the tuners on the client, you can still use the tuners for local viewing.  You can not record on the client.

The way MC works when you try to play a TV channel live on a client is this:

It first try loading a locally accessible tuner (which would be any of your 5 tuners since you have set them up on the client machine).  If it finds a local tuner, it will use it locally to play the channel.  Server will not be involved.  However, there could be contention for tuners between server and client, for the ATSC tuners (not a problem with CableCARD tuners).  

If MC does not find a local tuner, it will then ask the server to serve the channel.  In this case the server runs the tuner, and streams the video.  This is a more efficient way of using tuners, considering you have multiple clients.  Some may be watching the same channel.

Recording is done on the server.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2015, 01:53:27 pm »

Here is a link to the Media Network wiki topic where you can read about connecting a client to the server.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2015, 01:59:34 pm »

As I mentioned, it is preferred that you do not use tuners on a client.  However, I also mentioned that MC will look for local tuner first.  To prevent MC from using a tuner on a client, you should run TV Options > General > Manage Devices... on the client, and click Configure button on each device, and choose "Disable" for Tuner Type. 

The only draw back of letting server handling all tuners is that on clients channel switching will be slower.

If you really want to use tuners on clients, you should order the devices on each client, in such way that will reduce the possibility of clients competing for the same tuner.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2015, 02:25:15 pm »

Here is a link to the Media Network wiki topic where you can read about connecting a client to the server.

I've been using the client/server setup for years for listening/watching music and movies. I just mistakenly thought I need to set up the tuners to work on the clients. I've since disabled the tuners on the clients. I don't want to make this any more complicated than I need to...

Thanks!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up