INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting options  (Read 2963 times)

Patrick8639

• Recent member
Converting options
« on: November 16, 2015, 04:49:15 am »

Hello,
I think than one option is missing for the converting option: to copy the original file as is.

Let me explain:
I have a collection of music on my PC that is mainly in flac format, but some of them are only available in mp3.
To listen the music in my car, I had to convert part of the library to MP3, because it's the only format my car understand.
If I select a huge part of my music collection to convert for the car, I also select some files that are in mp3 format.
I now have currently two options:
- convert the existing mp3 file to mp3: this diminish the quality because of uncompressing and compressing again the file.
- copy manually the mp3 files after the conversion: It's a pain, because I have to identify which files are in mp3 format and copy them folder by folder.
An option to copy them without change (even if the bit rate is not the selected one) would be of great help.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Converting options
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 05:07:26 am »

If you don't want to convert (just copy files) you would use the "Rename, Move & Copy" tool. If you want to convert file format first, there is an option to convert files and leave original file alone.

So, I think in your case you would create a new folder such as "Mp3 for the car" and use the "convert to this folder" , and leave the original file in its folder. Did you see this?

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 08:02:09 am »

Are you using the Handheld Sync tool?  Or just straight up conversion?  In the Handheld Sync tool, you can tell it "only convert when necessary" and that seems to work properly.

Otherwise, there are pretty straightforward ways of building lists and then filtering out different file types if you want to do it the way you're doing it now.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 10:40:42 am »

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Patrick8639

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 09:59:32 am »

Hello everybody and thank you for your suggestions.
I've tried to use the Handheld Sync tool but there is another problem: if I select "only convert when necessary", nothing happens when I drop mp3 files to the synchronozation tools.

Patrick8639

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 10:02:51 am »

After removing and adding again the USB key, I can drag and drop mp3 files again (bug?).

Even when selecting to "only convert if necessary", the mp3 / 320kbps files are converted to mp3 / 256kbps...

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 10:17:37 am »

Hmm, that's unusual.  Have you set the allowed file types?  Files paths and more > Supported Types .

It's set to * by default, which should make everything work I thought.  Set it to MP3 and it *should* just copy MP3s over.

BTW, all of my handheld sync has been done by syncing lists.  I never do the drag and drop thing.  I'm not sure if that makes a difference.  But the handling of files is different when you do lists, versus just manually added files.  Lists are kept in sync.  I think manually added files are a one time thing.

Brian.

Patrick8639

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 10:23:23 am »

Set it to MP3 and it *should* just copy MP3s over.

Brian, it does exactly the same thing with this setting.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 11:39:22 am »

preset "extreme" is actually VBR 256 so the 320 files will be converted.  if you set the encoder to CBR with a target bitrate of 320 then it won't convert your 320 files!  AFAIK there isn't an option to leave a certain "file type" alone

it's a tough thing to auto-convert stuff, MC can't know everything.  personally i'd make a view / playlist that didn't show the mp3 files, and only run the conversion on those, then just drag all the mp3 files in after at their native bitrate

Pages: [1]   Go Up