INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Permanently breaking the link between MC and downloaded podcast files  (Read 2107 times)

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe

I'm going round in circles trying to archive my podcasts and treat them as stand alone files rather than managed podcasts. There's a complex set of circumstances that can lead to MC deleting them (ie if a disk becomes full) or if I copy them outside MC it can still recognise them as podcasts, produce a 2nd entry for the files in the podcast listing and then still automatically delete them under some circumstances.

linutic's postings here describe the issues very succinctly:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99893.0

There are workarounds but they aren't foolproof, require manual intervention and an unreasonable amount of diligence and care.

I'm looking for a method to stop MC treating a file as once ever being a downloaded podcast and linking it back into the podcast 'management system'.

What options do I have here?

Spike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Permanently breaking the link between MC and downloaded podcast files
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 01:57:34 am »

I believe the files have a special podcast tag.  Did you try changing it?

Spike1000

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 02:09:30 am »

Thanks for the quick reply.
That could indeed be the solution, sounds very logical. The thing is I can't see anything as obvious as 'a podcast tag'. Certainly not in the tag editor. I can see 'Episode URL' and 'Feed URL' but nothing that says 'Type=Podcast' or similar.

Edit:
The actively MC managed podcasts have a media subtype of 'Podcast'.
The files I've copied outside MC have had their media subtype changed to 'Radio' by myself. So if that's the 'special podcast' tag you refer to, Yes I've changed it and they are still linked as podcasts.

Spike

Spike1000

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 02:19:00 am »

There doesn't appear to be any relevant tags in the file itself (as reported by linutic) - I've just looked at the extended tags of a few sample podcasts. It does appear to be a MC database entry, I'm just not sure if we've got access to it through MC at the moment (or I'm looking in the wrong place  :) ). . .

Spike

Spike1000

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 03:07:20 am »

Bump.

Can any of the staff/developers/users throw any light on the 'Podcast Feed' or 'Podcast Episode' tags and how they can be modified/removed to stop a standalone podcast (ie downloaded podcast that is copied outside MC and then reimported as a standalone file) still being linked to and treated as an active podcast? These tags don't appear to be accessible through the MC interface and are causing standalone files to be mishandled in MC. . .  :(

Spike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 07:23:45 am »

Look at the Media Sub-type tag.  It has a dropdown list.  Podcast is one of the options.

You may need to add the tag to your view.  You can do this with the little icon in the upper left corner of the tag window.
Pages: [1]   Go Up