INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo doesn't always connect successfully  (Read 2389 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Gizmo doesn't always connect successfully
« on: December 07, 2015, 09:24:41 am »

I run MC inside a Virtual Machine running on my unRAID 6 server.  All my media is also stored on this server.  The Virtual Machine exists mainly for me to run MC, it's not running any other programs on a regular basis, just MC.  When i connect to this VM/Server with Gizmo it usually works fine.  However, occasionally, and seemingly more frequently, although Gizmo does connect to the server, it won't fully connect, instead it tells me my user/pass is incorrect.  They are not incorrect.  If I wait some time, from hours to days, I'm able to fully connect again.  i never change the user/pass on Gizmo.  Sometimes it just connects to the server without issue, other times it doesn't.  On a few occasions, I was able to connect with one phone running Gizmo and unable to connect with a second phone running the same version of Gizmo.

I suspect there is some sort of 'record locking' or similar causing this problem, but that's obviously just an uneducated guess.

This is all from inside the local network, but it is setup to allow connections from the outside also.

I'm happy to provide more details, I just don't know what more details would be useful.

I'm also willing to provide JRiver with my user/pass to let them try connecting and see if that helps find/fix this issue.  Please just let me know who to PM the info to if desired.

Thanks.
pretend this is something funny

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
Re: Gizmo doesn't always connect successfully
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 10:22:00 am »

^

It might be a DHCP lease renewal problem. Does your server have a reserved IP address?

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 10:26:43 am »

Yes, the server has a fixed IP address.  Also, to be clear, Gizmo finds and successfully connects with the MC Server, as evidenced by MC asking for the username and password (it doesn't make it to this step if it doesn't successfully communicate with the server, like when the server is turned off).

It's just that when it connects, MC doesn't recognize/like the correct user name and password it receives.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 10:35:34 am »

Is it possible that Gizmo is using a different address sometimes?  I see my own gizmo cycle between the internal and external IP address all the time.  Which is weird because I don't have a port open externally.

Anyway, I'm wondering if maybe you're hitting some other MC server somewhere.  Whether it be on your lan, or on the internet at large.  That would make sense with the username and password not being accepted.  Just some ideas.

Brian.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 10:46:16 am »

I suppose it's possible my phone gets a different IP address from the router from time to time, but even if it did, the fact that it can get accepted just a few minutes or hours after being rejected still points me to a server issue, not an IP issue.

However, as a test, I will change the router to give a fixed IP to my phone, to eliminate this option.

I doubt JRiver has issued my server 6 character ID to another server in the wild, to which I occasionally connect, but since it does connect to some server, I can't always see what IP it connected to (you can see what IP's it's trying to connect to when it fails to connect, as it tries both the internal and external IP 3 or 4 times).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 10:53:07 am »

Is it possible that Gizmo is using a different address sometimes?  I see my own gizmo cycle between the internal and external IP address all the time.  Which is weird because I don't have a port open externally.
If your wireless Ethernet connection is live, Gizmo and JRemote will try both IP addresses because they don't know whether you're home or away.  It should always connect to the local address if it works.

If your wireless connection is off, it will only try the outside address.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 10:55:51 am »

Again, to be clear, my phone DOES connect to the server, no issues here. 

The problem is just that the server doesn't like/recognize/accept the username and password Gizmo provides, even though they are correct.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 11:22:26 am »

I suppose it's possible my phone gets a different IP address from the router from time to time, but even if it did, the fact that it can get accepted just a few minutes or hours after being rejected still points me to a server issue, not an IP issue.

However, as a test, I will change the router to give a fixed IP to my phone, to eliminate this option.

I'm not suggesting that the IP of the phone has anything to do with this.  I'm talking about the server's IP address that Gizmo is *using* to connect.  So I don't think assigning the phone a fixed IP is going to prove anything or help at all.

I doubt JRiver has issued my server 6 character ID to another server in the wild, to which I occasionally connect, but since it does connect to some server, I can't always see what IP it connected to (you can see what IP's it's trying to connect to when it fails to connect, as it tries both the internal and external IP 3 or 4 times).

That's sort of what I was saying:  Maybe you're connecting to some other server somewhere.  Like you said, it seems super unlikely.  It was just an idea.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up