INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: zone/equalizer  (Read 7202 times)

maid

• Citizen of the Universe
zone/equalizer
« on: January 15, 2016, 07:40:00 pm »

We have zone 2 for my husbands settings.
He has saved the equalizer settings under his name but when he goes to load this is says not loaded.
We are using the stable version 23
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

Arindelle

Re: zone/equalizer
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 04:01:40 am »

Hi

I think that a lot of issues you are posting about is linked to your initial setup discussed a bit here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101890.msg711952#msg711952

As the post referred to above (see Rodericks post in the thread), I have a feeling that their is a setup from a shared library location and frankly if your husband is setting eq from a different PC it is no surprise that it disappears.

What I would recommend ... choose one of the two pc that can stay on (or be asleep and be able to be wakened up -- called wake-on-lan or WOL) all the time -- that would be the machine running as the "Server" (Personally I would put it on what you call the HTPC) Install JRiver on both machines. The office PC is a client of the HTPC. The client would do most of the admin (tagging etc.). The library to be loaded MUST be (ok, should be but for you I'l say must to not get into exceptions ;) ) located on the system drive along with the program on the machine you choose to be the server. Do not confuse a NAS or shared media files with a media server here, K? You share physically files, but you do not have two JR installation directly opening the same library -- the server PC opens it, the client "loads" it (its sort of a temporary virtual copy if you will, lets leave it at that for the moment :) )

When the client opens JRiver it will load the server library, including its views and, optionally, its zones. Changes to settings, views, zone eq etc; must be done on the server pc (and this is the machine's backup you want to make btw). If you want you can install a simple third party program like Teamviewer to modify views, zones and things on the server, but actually do the changes remotely via your office PC or vice versa.

If for any reason you want to separate library items or settings you can create specific views to filter out your husband's content for example. Audio device settings are by machine, so it is totally doable to have an EQ zone just for the HTPC -- zones and audio device setting are by machine not, generally across shared libraries, for info.

I have a similar set-up where I work all day form my home office. Using my HTPC as the server I turn it on in the morning ... if I want to listen to music or see a film on the office computer or do tagging etc, it loads the HTPC's library.  If I don't, the HTPC goes to sleep. At night I turn off my office PC, and because it is a client, it doesn't have to be on for the HTPC to do its business. You can do it the otherway around, of course where the office PC is the server and the HTPC is the client ...

maid

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 09:52:21 pm »

if i set up server client do i have htpc or work station  watching the folders.
at the moment the work station watches these and they are mapped.
Also with the backups done keep all the htpc server settings?
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 04:05:48 am »

if i set up server client do i have htpc or work station  watching the folders.
at the moment the work station watches these and they are mapped.

So if your HTPC is designated as the server, it would be the one "watching" the mapped drives. To not get confused, mapping to me is in reference to a Network drive letter which would be visible to ALL PCs on the network in Windows Explorer -- it could be a local drive on one of the machines say D:\ and this is mapped to z:\ (could also be UNC paths too). It could be a drive(s) on a NAS, an external USB drive connected to your Router etc.

Your work station is not watching these files, as it is loading a virtual copy of the HTPCs library, right? Actually unless you choose to have a separate library for local content on the work station (say mp3s for your portable devices) which would then be "watched" in your import settings, the import settings are not important (actually they shouldn't be watching what the server is importing from "its local" library.

"Main" (which IMO is confusing) is the default local library. On the client computer you would want it to load "htpc's library" and not the local one. Generally, you would be loading "Main" for the HTPC (if you choose it to be the PC running in server mode)

Again, the machine you choose to be the server depends on what is best for you, as there are a few things that have to be done only on the server (most can be done remotely; ripping can cause issues for some people that rip through JRiver as an example). The choice might depend on where the ilfes are physically located too (eg. if there is no NAS or external drives available on the network, and are actually inside of one of the machines, then that machine probably would be the server)

Also with the backups done keep all the htpc server settings?
yes.  Bear in mind, if you mean settings like views which are global, these will be loaded onto the work station. Tag information also will be preserved. However "settings" for audio playback are based on zones ... you can see and control zones from the client to the server (there is an option to show these tyhat you have to check). BUT the playback zones on the Work Station client are of course separate as you are not using the same playback device(s) -- one might be using your main stereo, the other just small PC speakers for example. To back up the playback setting for the server; load the local library (Main) and back this up. You don't have to do that very often as it doesn't change and would take only a couple of minutes to reset it manually. The automatic one is usually enough. The main library and Views associated to is could represent a LOT of work to rebuild. I run and archive my "server" backups manually often after I spend a lot of time tagging newly imported stuff.

Anyway I would first choose whether your work station or HTPC is the server or not. Remember if the HTPC is chosen as the client, not the media server, and your husband modifies views, they wil not be permanent changes (his EQs will be, though as they are done in local zones). 

Hope this helps. If you need further info to make the choice, post back where the media files are physically stored, and I could give you more feedback, but it depends on a lot of criteria like who is doing the admin and where for example

maid

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 05:23:23 pm »

All media files are on the HTPC husband zone is also on the htpc.
How do I set the Media sever to start?
Can myself as a client still do tagging from my workstation?
If the global settings open on the workstation wont they be too big as the HTPC is a 55" and workstation is only 19"
If you can step by step would help me greatly I have looked in the Wiki but got very confused

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 03:54:41 am »

All media files are on the HTPC husband zone is also on the htpc.

Well, for simplicity then, that should act as the server (this way both machines do not have to be on all the time) You would probably want to set up wake on lan so that it goes to sleep when the media files are not being accessed (don't ask here Maid ... goes beyond the purview of the MC21 part of the forum  ;) that is a Windows question)

How do I set the Media sever to start?

Options=>Media Network=>Use Media Network to share this library
check authentication if you are going to tag from the client It will give you an access code

Do you have DLNA devices, or are using JRemote, Gizmo etc?  there are advanced options which you may need to check - but stay simple for the moment. Unless you have a slow network, you probably don't want to convert stuff on the fly. (Conversion Options)

On the client (Work Station), do not check this. Rather click the 3 boxes under the client options. The rest leave alone for know (the defaults probably will work

When you first load the HTPCs library it will ask you for the access code (and maybe a windows password and login). Then it will load automatically unless you reload a different library). You can rename this in the tree if you want.

Can myself as a client still do tagging from my workstation?

Yes -- as long as authenticate option is set as above. that's the beauty of this. If you have checked the show server's zones options as indicated above, you can even control playback of the HTPC from your workstation, link playback etc.

Note: there are a few things you can't do from the client. You can't manually import new stuff; you can't rip locally using the loaded HTPC library. (you can stil use either an external program or load a local library temporarily to use JRiver's ripper - you would have to transfer the ripped files to the HTPC afterwards though. ); Image handling and moving and renaming files. You can install a third party program to control the HTPC remotely though (I use Teamviewer -- very simple to use and setup)

If the global settings open on the workstation wont they be too big as the HTPC is a 55" and workstation is only 19"
Playback setting are not global they are by zone. No problem there. However what you see in your interface will be the views set up on the HTPC, not on the client. To modify views, you must do this on the server PC not on the client or they will disappear when you reboot the client or JRiver.

If you can step by step would help me greatly I have looked in the Wiki but got very confused
euh no sorry, that would be a book  -- I wrote this step by setp (its long and multi-part so scroll down)  here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81262.msg564424#msg564424  DISCLAIMER: I don't have time to reread it and verify it -- I did this 3 years ago for version 18 and might be a bit dated (or now there are better options/methods ), but it might help you.

maid

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 05:23:51 pm »

I have set the MC on HTPC as the server. Options=>Media Network=>Use Media Network to share this library
check authentication if you are going to tag from the client It will give you an access code I already had an access code as I tried to use gizmo once upon a time.
I have set the workstation as a client but nothing has changed it did not ask for a PW.What have I not done
Update I have added HTPC library but when opening client is says database is already open and I am in read only

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 04:02:30 am »

I have set the MC on HTPC as the server. Options=>Media Network=>Use Media Network to share this library
check authentication if you are going to tag from the client It will give you an access code I already had an access code as I tried to use gizmo once upon a time.
I have set the workstation as a client but nothing has changed it did not ask for a PW.What have I not done

I don't know Maid ... I can jump tall buildings at a single bound, but that's the limit of my super powers!   ;D

Update I have added HTPC library but when opening client is says database is already open and I am in read only

Guessing here, but it sounds like you did not uncheck the server on the client so both machines are trying to access the same library at the same time. So on the Client machine (work station), make sure that "Use Media Network to share this library ..." is NOT checked in network options. Also check that you do NOT have media server loading on startup on the Work Station (Options=>Startup+Windows Startup)

Reboot the client machine. Launch JRiver and if need, from the tree Playing Now=>Playing From=> Choose the HTPC library or if you don't see it Add library and reenter the access key of the HTPC (get this by looking at the HTPC network options if you didn't note it.).

You only want one machine to run Mediaserver (it will show up as an icon in the bottom right of a PC near the clock or hidden --there is an arrow up thingy "^") You want the server option checked on the HTPC, but not checked on your Work Station, remember.

This should remove the read-only issue (crossing my fingers). The password (not to be confused with the access key) comes up once unless you lose the network connection - this is the windows login and password for the HTPC machine, so you might not have one if you don't see it).

Once this gets sorted, the next time you launch JRiver from the client it will automatically load, so you don't have to do this all the time

maid

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 05:39:05 pm »

Use media network is not enabled on workstation and start on windows is set to do nothing
I rebooted the server many times but not the client.
I have gone back to my original settings as trying this produced another problem. The HTPC would not hibernate whilst media centre is loaded.

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 04:40:28 am »

Use media network is not enabled on workstation and start on windows is set to do nothing
ok -- for info - you can set it to launch JRiver if you want; I just wanted to make sure you were not launching "mediaserver" by mistake on the client (your Workstation)

I rebooted the server many times but not the client.
Ouch please reboot the work station PC, this is the config that you are changing. Again, you want your HTPC to be running as server, and the work station to be running only as a client.

I have gone back to my original settings as trying this produced another problem. The HTPC would not hibernate whilst media centre is loaded.
:o oh, oh...

Just to be sure you are understanding this:

To load the HTPCs library by the client (your work station) the HTPC has to be "on" (or you have to have set up windows to be able to wake it up if it asleep). It is often referred to as WoL (or wake on LAN which in turn refers to your local area network).

If a client is running JRiver and accessing every now and then the HTPC's library, it is not going to go to sleep/hibernation, now is it??

For this to work, and IF your motherboard is recent, it is relatively easy to set this up and enable "magic packets" to be sent to machines on your network. Some older machines need to have their "bios" configured to allow this. (the how to for this is for a win forum or your motherboard's forum tho)

HOWEVER, hibernation can be tricky ... on some machines it might work, but even if you can get the Workstation to wake up the HTPC from hibernation, this could be pretty slow to access. Just set the windows timer to put the HTPC to sleep after an hour or so, ok? If you want to at night turn the HTPC off when you go to bed and turn it on in the morning while you make your coffee.

I would really recommend, that you give it one more go. Don't worry about the hibernation thing for now. Configure windows to not go into hibernation on the HTPC. Turn off both PCs.. Boot the HTPC and JRiver (mediaserver  will be running too) .... then boot your workstation last. Look in Windows explorer to make sure you can see the "mapped" drives with the media in it.  Load HTPCs library.

Does it work? If so great! If not double check your config as discussed, look at my old guide again which I posted the link for -- (there is a paragraph on WoL even I think)

Work on the sleep/hibernation thing later... this is a Windows thing NOT  JRiver's

This is not plug and play here, and is not an out of the box set-up. It does requires that a user knows the minimum to set up his own network at home. There are guides on the web for this (search how to wake on lan or WoL, magic packets etc. You said you have mapped drives set up so you do have a LAN. You'll get there !

maid

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 04:41:19 pm »

Ok, first I do use WOL already and the HTPC is set to hibernate.(windows 10 home version) this was difficult to get to work as the network was keeping it awake,I also know this is windows not JRiver,This is now fixed.
so as i now understand this, ONLY the media server has to be running on the HTPC and not the program itself.
to let the HTPC Hibernate all clients have to be closed?
ps thanks for all your hard work

Arindelle

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 03:04:30 am »

so as i now understand this, ONLY the media server has to be running on the HTPC and not the program itself.
Yes, that is right. Probably want to load this on boot for the HTPC. The JR interface "main" program is optional. (Again mediaserver.exe should not be running on your work station)
to let the HTPC Hibernate all clients have to be closed?
if you mean does JRiver have to be closed? No it can remain open. If you play music or tag something from the client it will remain awake though of course.  Not saying that there are other processes that could keep the HTPC awake.

However, in my experience, Hibernating is tricky .. better use the sleep function. It can be a real problem to wake up. With modern SSDs, often the boot time from a PC that is turned off is faster than waking up one that is in hibernation. Or put the hibernation timer at 6 hours or so; sleep at 1hour?. You can also easily control the HTPC remotely using Teamviewer as I said, if needed.  My opinion, but what you gain with hibernation on a work station, like you have 15 windows open in photoshop and Indesign, might be a real time saver ... on an HTPC you have no "states" to save, it just media server really that running, a browser, ripping program .... the electricity saved is really very low between the two (ok depdning on how bio-conscious you are about the carbon footprint I gues ... not going there for this  :)
ps thanks for all your hard work
sure .. SO does this mean that it WORKS?!

maid

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 06:40:22 pm »

I have managed to get it to work finally.
I had to obviously add the library from the server.
now the library I had before, using it through the network, which is technically the same library, can i delete this from the tree?

maid

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 12:29:20 am »

I am having a problem Tagging from the workstation.
The quick find in file for the jpg is not working.
I keep the jpg in the same folder as the file and this worked before I did the change to server/client

Arindelle

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 03:59:24 am »

I am having a problem Tagging from the workstation.
what is the issue? Is it not syncing? If so you can turn auto sync on and off.  Remember you are not writing to the actual library which resides on the server pc, until it is synced. You can also do this manually.

The quick find in file for the jpg is not working. I keep the jpg in the same folder as the file and this worked before I did the change to server/client
Image embedding, thumbnail manips and getting cover art form the web must be done from the server machine. Remember you are loading a "virtual" copy of the HTPCs library. Other things you can't do: the move, rename copy tool (although you can change the file path for an album by editing the field in the tag window); importing of course; using JRiver to rip locally and autoimport from those rips.

I use Teamviewer (very easy to set up http://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/), there is also VNC, or Windows Remote Desktop (the last one is a pain IMO), for these exceptions. This allows you to remotely control the HTPC using your work stations monitor, keyboard etc.

Do that and voila ... you have become a POWER USER!!  ;D

You can however tag your album art if you want. To do so you would have to config them to be imported into the library. Might be useful for admin to find small images you want to replace. Not needed though of course

oh and personally I'd get rid of the "dupe" library. Might load it by mistake. I'd make a last backup just in case I'm misunderstanding you. You can't erase the default local library, called Main usually. If that is what you are referring to .. you might want to delete the library entries in that (not the files themselves of course - the "remove from library" option from the pop-up). Then reconfigure the import options for Main to a local path. Reload HTPCs library after that so it will boot the next time you launch JRiver from the workstation and you'll be good to go.

maid

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 05:47:23 pm »

I tried to set up the simple Teamviewer but gave up as it was too complicated. too many settings which I did not understand.
If I manage to set this up , can I get the pics etc for JRiver.
It does seem that the way I had it set up was easier to use over the network rather than using the server but I am still at testing mode.

Arindelle

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 04:30:06 am »

I tried to set up the simple Teamviewer but gave up as it was too complicated. too many settings which I did not understand.
If I manage to set this up , can I get the pics etc for JRiver.

YES you can get pics and run import and use the rename, move, copy tool, etc. It won't insert a cd for you but hey ... you won't be using this all the time, but it gives you complete control when you need it. You will do most admin from the client directly!

This is simple.

install team viewer on both machines -- set it ot launch on startup at least on the HTPC (see Extras=>options=>General). Note the "Your ID" and password off the HTPC. Go to your workstation launch Teamviewer and type in  Partner ID box the ID and password from the HTPC. Hit connect to partner ... done, you are connected.

Recommended: Get an account with them as this will memorize the HTPC password and be easier to log in to the htpc without typing. Watch video Team Viewer account (after the 1 minute mark they show you how to get an account with them ... just in case http://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/support/videos/ its 2:30 minutes long.

recommended: If you want it to wake up your HTPC skim the WOL guide. https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/support/documents/. You already have WoL configured just find where the option is in Teamviewer.

If you want more info there are tons of videos or read their main manual.

It does seem that the way I had it set up was easier to use over the network rather than using the server but I am still at testing mode.
  :'( c'mon You set up a LAN, you set up JRiver. You set up WoL which is tricky. You are not mentally challenged Maid. Just spend 30 more minutes. (max btw) I spent a lot more time on responding here than that. You can do it

maid

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 06:26:31 pm »

(YES you can get pics and run import and use the rename, move, copy tool, etc. It won't insert a cd for you but hey ... you won't be using this all the time, but it gives you complete control when you need it. You will do most admin from the client directly!)

I must be doing something wrong as I could not run import it was blanked out and cover art quick find in file did not work.

Arindelle

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 02:55:16 am »

(YES you can get pics and run import and use the rename, move, copy tool, etc. It won't insert a cd for you but hey ... you won't be using this all the time, but it gives you complete control when you need it. You will do most admin from the client directly!)

I must be doing something wrong as I could not run import it was blanked out and cover art quick find in file did not work.

I can only try to guess what you are doing wrong, as I don't know what you are actually doing ....

if the Import Option is greyed out, it probably means you are trying to run import from a client that is loading the "server" machines library -- just having teamviewer installed doesn't mean you can run import using JRiver on the client's interface; using Teamviewer allows you to use your Workstations monitor to control the HTPC's version of JRiver.

Once again, when you want to do these type of things : import, coverart, move rename copy files, audio analysis View creation, or backups, they have to be done the HTPC now -- it is the server. You open Teamviewer and you see the desktop of the HTPC, start the main program of JRiver (if only the media server program was running) and do what you need to do. Close it afterwards and use the client for tagging, playback, and control (you can control playback on both the client and the HTPC from your Workstation now, even link the 2  if you wish for simultaneous playback).

Here's a screen shot where I have both my "workstation" running as a client (the grey interface) and running my "HTPC" as a server through Teamviewer the black interface. You might not have as many zones (you might have only one called player), but if you chose the client options to show the "playback zones of the server ..." at least one will appear here. Showing zones is not required, just do not want you getting any more confused (your husband's EQ  would probably be configured in one of these, for info)

As you can see the import option is not greyed out. If I tried to access Import from my client (grey interface), it would be of course.

Pages: [1]   Go Up