INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random hang  (Read 5004 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Random hang
« on: December 11, 2015, 03:07:45 am »

I seem to be getting a lot of "Not responding" and having to force close MC21 in the last few weeks.  If I am watching something it seems to run fine.  But if I am working with it (Renaming, Moving, Tagging Going into settings) it will crash any time between a few minutes to a few hours randomly.

I have reset the log and included a link below to it.  Something else interesting (Possibly related?) when I try to view the log from within MC21 I get the following error message:  "The document c:\Users\Carl Taylor\AppData\Roaming\JRiver\Media Center 21\Log.txt is in use by another application and cannot be accessed"

Running MC21 21.0.26 on Windows 10 Enterprise with all the latest updates.  Using only Windows 10 built in security.  Not third party AV or firewall.  

This has been happening for awhile now though.  Through at least the last 3 or 4 updates.  Just haven't had the time to do anything about it.

Here is a link to my last log file:   http://gofile.me/6mP4E/Pa4SUFTw

Also in case it helps here is the Sysinfo file generated by MC21:  http://gofile.me/6mP4E/uferrxzO

and the benchmark file:  http://gofile.me/6mP4E/ct6rkk3a

Any help much appreciated.

Carl

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Random hang
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 06:59:11 am »

I seem to be getting a lot of "Not responding" and having to force close MC21 in the last few weeks.  
"Not responding" can be just a Windows "complaint".  The program may just be really busy.  Try waiting.

jctcom

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 12:14:50 pm »

I have tried waiting as much as 45 minutes at times.  Once I get the "Not Responding" (Which I only get with MC) it is done (Most of the time).  it will stay like that until I click the "Close" option and restart the program.  Sometimes I also have to go into task manager to end task on it as even when the icons are both gone from the task bar it still has not properly closed (During a crash that is).

I have a very fast computer and the functions I am performing at the time of the crashes are not resource intensive  (Not copying huge files or tagging 100s of files.)  Just going into "Options" to make a change or two will often cause it to stop responding.  I run several other programs on this computer, Mostly database related such as Movie and Music Collector plus browsing the internet etc... and I don't have this issue with any other program than JRiver MC21.

Did you get a chance to look at the log file to see if there is any indication of what is causing it?  I looked through it but I don't know enough about it to tell what might be a problem.

Carl.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 12:31:44 pm »

jctcom

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 12:49:44 pm »

Hi Jim.

If that was the case would it not crash on me during normal watching of shows or listening to music? (Doesn't it continue to import during these situation?)  It never crashes when I am just watching or listening.  Only when I am going into settings or tagging / updating entries.

How can I tell if it is trying to add a file or files over and over again as is suggested in the link you provided?

Carl

jctcom

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 12:54:04 pm »

I just adjusted my Windows Defender settings per this post (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Taming_Windows_Defender) mentioned in another thread here.

So will see over the weekend if that has helped or not.

Carl

jctcom

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 04:55:33 pm »

Just got back from being out for a few hours.   MC was closed but the server is always running.

Opened MC, Went into "Options", Then went into "Services" to check on a setting which I didn't see  (Something from my other thread where someone mentioned a "reporter" option.)  Clicked on "OK" to close settings.   Blue Circle of nothingness.

Now waiting 5 minutes so far.  Will wait another 10 and then close it down, (Click anywhere in the window Will get the "Not Responding" message and I will click on "Close").

So I did not run anything else on the computer or in MC.  I will post the log again in 10 minutes (Assuming it doesn't recover which I doubt it will from past experience).

Carl

jctcom

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 05:11:38 pm »

Here is the new log file.  Please let me know if you see any issues that could explain my hanging problem.

Thanks.

Carl.

jctcom

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 01:48:13 am »

Has anyone looked at my log file(s)?  Is there somewhere else I should be sending them?

Carl.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 01:01:36 pm »

Is Auto-Import on? If so, try turning it off and see if it still hangs.

jctcom

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 01:06:33 pm »

Is Auto-Import on? If so, try turning it off and see if it still hangs.

I will try that to see if it helps.   But I find it strange that it crashes at very specific instances.  For instance going into "Option" almost always makes it crash unless I am in and out withing about a few minutes of having opened it (After having closed it due to a previous crash).

This seems to me to be unrelated to auto import.

Carl

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 01:25:05 pm »

I will try that to see if it helps.   But I find it strange that it crashes at very specific instances.  For instance going into "Option" almost always makes it crash unless I am in and out withing about a few minutes of having opened it (After having closed it due to a previous crash).

This seems to me to be unrelated to auto import.

Carl
It probably is different, but worth eliminating that variable, at the very least. I had a different hang problem and the only way I could stop it was to turn off auto-import or down-grade to an older V20 version.

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 03:08:04 pm »

You could try our latest testing release which has some fixes for hangs in the networking code:

http://files.jriver.com.s3.amazonaws.com/other/MediaCenter210029.exe

If you'd rather wait until the official released build, you could at least turn off networking in MC and see if it makes a difference.  If so, this new build might be the ticket.  To turn it off, un-check this option: Tools / Options / Media Network / Use Media Network...
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jctcom

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 11:00:55 am »

I will install the new build later today.

In the meantime I have turned off the Auto-Import and that seems to have stabilized it quite a bit.  Not sure why the Auto-Import being turned on would only cause it to crash when I do things like going into "Options" and not when I am just playing music or watching movies?

Maybe it is because usually when I am going into "Options" it is because I am making a change needed by some recent or current import?  But those are manual imports not auto.

Maybe it was on the "Verge" of crashing a lot of the time and going into "Options" pushed it over the edge?

I am not sure.  But it is running a lot better now (Though I also went back to 0.24 around the same time but I had been having crashes in 0.23 and 0.24 before I went to 0.26 so I am not sure that is a factor).

Carl

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 11:35:50 am »

Hopefully your problem will be resolved by some of things suggested here.  If it's not, please post the full zip file that the logging tool produces.  I just looked through the log you sent and couldn't see anything amiss.  Not that I'm super skilled at figuring these things out.  But I've done ok in the past.

Anyway, what you normally want is Previous Log.txt.  Your zip file had something called Log2.txt .  No big deal, just a pointer that might get us better results analyzing your logs.

Brian.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 09:11:37 am »

Has this been resolved?
I have the very same problem.  Will try the things suggested here.  I have had this problem for sometime.  I noticed that several others have reported the hang, but never really follows through to getting the problem solved.  JRiver 21 is the only app on my windows 10 that hangs.  The only one. 

jctcom

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 12:44:53 pm »

Has this been resolved?
I have the very same problem.  Will try the things suggested here.  I have had this problem for sometime.  I noticed that several others have reported the hang, but never really follows through to getting the problem solved.  JRiver 21 is the only app on my windows 10 that hangs.  The only one. 

I Turned off Auto-Import some time ago.  That along with recent updates seems to have resolved the issue for me.

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up