INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Youtube  (Read 6069 times)

GaryM

• Recent member
Problems with Youtube
« on: December 13, 2015, 12:21:19 am »

I've been running JRiver Mediacenter for a few years now, primarily for movies.

Forever I've had problems with Youtube via Theaterview. Sometimes it has worked well, but mostly it just returns a file not found error when selecting a video to play. At present with Media Center 21 it is hit and miss. Sometime it plays, more often I get the error message.

Any suggestions?

Everything else works fine.

Kodi can play Youtube without trouble on the same machine. Always has been able to.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Always problems with Youtube
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 02:16:00 am »

What version of MC are you running?  

What is the error message?

Please post a link to an example of something that won't play.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 07:14:57 am »

There's a known problem with vevo music videos. Do these make up the bulk of your content viewing?

GaryM

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 06:37:57 pm »

What version of MC are you running?  

What is the error message?

Please post a link to an example of something that won't play.

Media Center 21, set to current stable channel.

Will investigate further and report.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 02:19:49 am »

Media Center 21, set to current stable channel.

Will investigate further and report.
Please look for the version number under Help/About.

audunth

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 07:18:47 am »

It's been a long time since I've been able to play any YouTube video from Theater View. Didn't work in MC 20, and it's not working in MC 21. The last time it worked was in v18 or 19. It's always the same message, screenshot attached. I've tried all kinds of videos. Most of them play fine from Standard View through the built-in browser (selecting Play inside the player), both using Chromium and IE engines. Tried all different bitrate settings. Tried both logged in and logged out. Today I even deleted YouTube from Theater View and re-added it. I don't know what else to try.

On a side note, why is it that when I check "Keep using this answer (hold Ctrl when clicking a link to get choices again)" in the dialog, I still get the dialog after restarting MC? I've asked this before, it seems like a bug to me that this setting isn't saved, and it's very annoying, especially since I always have to use Standard View to play YouTube videos.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 07:46:10 am »

YouTube works for me - using the MC default view/setup. But the only YouTube videos I ever look at are the Movie Trailers. The "VEVO" music videos (which is just about all the music videos) don't work in MC Theater View .

Are you using the "MC default" YouTube setup (which I believe screens out the Vevo's) or did you link to other YouTube videos or elsewhere?

audunth

Re: Problems with Youtube
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 07:50:15 am »

I did some more testing today and found some additional problems. In Standard View. With Chromium, the browser keeps crashing MC, usually upon trying to play the 3rd YouTube video since the last MC restart. Music videos don't play in Standard View either, returns the same message as the one above. Searching in YouTube with IE engine returns a blank white page.

As far as I know I'm using the default YouTube setup, in Standard View I click on Connected Media and YouTube under it.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

audunth

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 08:16:16 am »

Just updated Google Chrome from 47.0.2526.111m to 48.0.2564.97m, nothing different, Chromium browser still crashes MC after a few clicks.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 08:36:26 am »

Every video or just some?  As said above, some of the music videos. and maybe others, are "protected".

audunth

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 09:08:18 am »

From Theater View not a single video has played since v19 or maybe early builds of v20.

From Standard View most videos play except music videos and occationally others, which as you say, probably are protected.

When using Chromium engine, MC always becomes unresponsive after a few clicks (usually after playing a couple of videos, but also happens when clicking around other web pages than YouTube) and upon further clicks I get the option to close program or wait for it to respond. I've tried waiting several minutes, but I always have to close and restart MC.

When using IE engine, YouTube's front page shows up, but when I do a search, sometimes it returns a blank page (just tried again and now it worked). Playing videos from the front page works (with the same exeptions as stated above of course) and MC doesn't become unresponsive after a few clicks. However, I am still running IE 8 on this computer. I haven't updated it since I don't use IE at all outside of MC and some other programs that require that it's installed, most notably my Tacx Training Software for my Tacx Genius VR cycle roller. The Tacx TTS software has a long history of buggy behaviour, and once it works, I don't wanna mess with it in any way, shape or form.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 09:42:00 am »

From Theater View not a single video has played since v19 or maybe early builds of v20.
Can you be more specific about what you tried to watch?  I just watched four videos from Theater View.  No problems.

It's possible you've got something else wrong on the machine.  Antivirus programs sometimes cause this kind of behavior.  Video drivers, too.

audunth

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 01:35:55 pm »

Last videos I tried today was some movie trailers, that's what I usually use YouTube for, I think it's nice to watch a few trailers before I start a movie to "get in the mood" :) Specifically I did a search for "movie trailers" and tried to play "Suicide Squad Official Trailer #1", "Deadpool Official Trailer #1" and "BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE Official Trailer #4". They all play in Standard View, but not in Theater View.

I agree the problem probably is connected to something else on my computer since it works on other machines. I did try both browser engines also in Theater View. I tried clearing both IE and Chrome cache, cookies, etc. So the problem might be some setting in MC carried over from an old version. I could try to reset all MC settings to default and opt to not import settings when importing the library and see if that helps, but it will take some time doing all the settings over again manually, and I'm going away for a week tomorrow and won't have time to do that until I get back. If you have any idea of any settings I could try and change, let me know.

I tried something I haven't tried before, adding a YouTube video to my library without downloading, and it played fine in Theater View. Obviously I played it through Video -> Genres in Theater View  where it showed up together with my other video files on my computer.

I do have a few services stopped or disabled in Windows 7, so if there's any specific service Theater View YouTube needs, I could check that.

Also tried enabling every single feature in MC (Under General -> Features) but that didn't help either.

Any registry entries I could check? Maybe remove some old ones that aren't in use anymore (if they got copied over from previous version's registry entries)?

I currently don't have any other antivirus or firewall installed except for Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. Tried disabling both.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 01:57:02 pm »

I was able to watch those Trailers just now. You are using the default Theater View>YouTube configuration, right?

Have you tried/checked the settings at Tools>Options>Services>YouTube? Maybe try a different Playback rate.

audunth

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 02:18:50 pm »

Yes, using the default Theater View YouTube, even tried removing and re-inserting it in Options -> Theater View.

Also tried all possible bitrates in Options -> Services, also logging into my YouTube account.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 11:03:27 pm »

Last videos I tried today was some movie trailers, that's what I usually use YouTube for, I think it's nice to watch a few trailers before I start a movie to "get in the mood" :) Specifically I did a search for "movie trailers" and tried to play "Suicide Squad Official Trailer #1"
That worked for me from Theater View.

What version of MC are you using?  Did you try the latest from the top of this board?

audunth

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 10:00:37 am »

Yes, I am always running the latest version. Or at least, if I have a problem I always update to the latest version before seeking help here :)
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Pages: [1]   Go Up