INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: *9.1 GUI Requests  (Read 2569 times)

digital:rogue

• Recent member
  • insert generic tagline here.
*9.1 GUI Requests
« on: August 30, 2003, 10:33:11 am »

Per request in the new build thread, posting GUI requests/optimizations here in a separate post. :)

GUI OPTIMIZATIONS:

• In the filelist pane, the last field on the right (filename by default) always runs off the right side of the pane. Trying to expand the width of the field with the mouse to read the entire field is a pain, for it only widens a few pixels at a time.

• When selecting a TV channel, MC adds all channels to the 'Playing Now' list. If one then opens any media file out of Windows Explorer at a later time, it appends the file to the end of the TV channels in playing now, after which it will bounce back up to the top and try playing TV channels. Any way to change this behavior? Perhaps clear the play list when TV is stopped?

• Have it make my bed and fetch the paper for me in the morning. ;)

9.1 is really coming together guys! Awesome job.

-Rob
.-=digital.rogue=-.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
Re: *9.1 GUI REQ*
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2003, 03:28:14 pm »

• In the filelist pane, the last field on the right (filename by default) always runs off the right side of the pane. Trying to expand the width of the field with the mouse to read the entire field is a pain, for it only widens a few pixels at a time.

This is a Windows thing, not an MC thing. It happens in all apps with columns. One way to get around it is to use the "auto-size columns" option. Another way is to "restore down" the window so that it's not maximized any more, then drag the window so there's plenty of room between the window's right side and the right side of your screen. Finally, grab the column's right side and drag it to the right, outside the border of the application window. Even though you're dragging outside the window, the column is still re-sizing. When you're done, maximize the window again.

Not sure if that explanation got things across...

digital:rogue

• Recent member
  • insert generic tagline here.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2003, 06:45:17 pm »

yeah, you made sense.  I do use the autosizing feature, but it still happens. I have also just put a dummy column to the right of the ones I need, then I can resize all I need, but just thought it was an annoyance with the GUI as I have never really seen it before..

Thx for the info :)
.-=digital.rogue=-.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2003, 08:09:30 pm »

Here are my own suggestions for improving the MC GUI

THE ACTION WINDOW

the options in the "playing now" part of the tree should also be in the playing now in the action window. For example; clear playlist, artist info etc. Then we wouldnt even need it to be in the tree.

The file properties should be directly accessible (maybe an icon at the top of the action window, next to the back button). And they should definitely be grouped by type like they were before. Ideally in the media centre options you would be able to tick the fields that you want to see for each file type.
(for example, For my audio files I only ever need to see "Album artist auto" "Album" "Genre" "Name" "Track" "Custom 1" and a field I created called "Ipod".

For my video files I only ever need to regularly see "Name" and "genre" and "date" )

The Handeld section should have all the options available to it, like in the tree. For example; synch to playlist and all the options like add replay gain etc. This would also eliminate its need to be in the tree.

THE PANES

They look a bit vulgar still. Get rid of the empty scroll bars. Change the font or something to make it look a bit more stylish. Perhaps have a background that changes accross the panes.

Difinitely do something with the "grouped lists". Their size is way to big. I also replicate the list twice and add grouping to one of them. Why not make  the grouping one stick to the other one, or even sit inside the other one.

park

• MC Beta Team
Re: *9.1 GUI Requests
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2003, 04:59:57 am »

I just thought of another way of editing the files properties that would for me almost make the file properties screen on the action window redundant.

In the file list under the panes, If you could edit the the properties of a column for whole groups of files by means of drop down menus (similar to the properties window in the AW) then you would only need to go to the properties window for special tasks.
For example it would be cool if you could, in the genre column, select a bunch of files and then click on the genre in one of the files to bring the drop down menu and change it to another, and then that gets done to all the selected files.
I have a reasonably large desktop and only find myself editing about 8 different propeties anyway, and so I could easily fit these columns in and then almost never need to use the properties window.

What do you think?

LisaRCT

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2003, 06:28:00 am »

For example it would be cool if you could, in the genre column, select a bunch of files and then click on the genre in one of the files to bring the drop down menu and change it to another, and then that gets done to all the selected files.

I usually do this by selecting the files and then using 'F2' (edit selected field).  The only difference from what you describe is that you do not get a pop-up (or drop-down) list of available tags or genres. I can then go into my Genre View Scheme and see what genres I have that need to be 'filtered out' and placed into another group.
Yes this is the long way around . . . but it works for me.
Perhaps one day I will get used to using the Action Window for tagging   :-/

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2003, 10:02:00 am »

Disregard my last mail. Just discovered tagging mode (F4) which essentially does what I was asking but using the panes. sweet. ;D

ben1000

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2003, 02:21:54 pm »

Howdy...

I wonder if there's a way (or a skin) that could use the standard Windows XP window interface.

I use a couple of 'desktop enhancers' such as Nvidia NView, and SnappyWindows. These programs only work correctly for normal XP windows, not 'skinned' windows.

For instance, Nview allows me to scroll windows up to just their title bar, make the window transparent, send it to various different monitors, etc... The nview menu is inserted into the title bar of all normal XP windows, but when a 'skinned' program (like MC) is run, that menu is not added.

Any way around this?

Thanks,

- Ben

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2003, 04:49:33 pm »

I'm afraid not.  MC 9.1 uses skins only.
Pages: [1]   Go Up