INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade issues  (Read 3962 times)

K1lted

• Recent member
Upgrade issues
« on: December 15, 2015, 03:41:00 pm »

Many of you were kind enough (or otherwise) to comment on my recent thread about being unable to use the features I actually bought this product to do.

If I seemed frustrated, it's because I've been trying to resolve this issue for over 5 years, without success. Perhaps the best suggestion I had was to go back to the old version I used (I have been around since at least version 11) and try that . . . it may fix my issues, so far it seems not

My major bugbear is that I have playlists of hundreds of tracks that I spent many hours creating (in MC) that MC now fails to recognise when imported . . . . creating the named playlist, but with no tracks listed! Despite many efforts to resolve this, it remains an issue.

I, frankly, am not prepared to put the effort in again when a product has already let me down repeatedly . . . I have "updated" frequently, in the hope that the issue would be resolved, but it hasn't been and I have had enough.

So that is why I was short, annoyed and fed up - I have tried for years to fix this, and it appears no-one wants to help. This is a real shame as I invested so much time in creating lists for various events and I now find myself wasting hours getting them to work with "upgrades", which won't recognise them.

C'est la vie.

Onwards and upwards.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: "upgrade" issues
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 05:51:17 pm »

error
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 06:07:47 pm »

error
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 06:47:43 pm »

My history doesn't go nearly as far back as yours and many others here, so I'm not familiar with version 11 that you mention.  If it can make a Library Backup, this is what you should try first.  File > Library > Backup library

Then take that file to MC21 and restore it.  File > Library > Restore library .

That should transfer just about everything including your songs, playlists, views, etc.

What version of MC are you currently using ?  Can it see your playlists?

Brian.

mpg732

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 09:35:56 pm »

This is more of a side note, but due to the fact that I have used a variety of media players over the years, a long time ago I separated all of my music into playlists folders.  Then I can import a folder one at a time and create the playlists from the "recently Imported/added" list with in MC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Upgrade issues
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 02:13:07 am »

... I have playlists of hundreds of tracks that I spent many hours creating (in MC) that MC now fails to recognise when imported . . . . creating the named playlist, but with no tracks listed.
If the drive or folder of the files changed, that might explain the problem you describe.

K1lted

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 02:27:25 pm »

Thanks for the replies

I currently have no installed version that has my playlists working (I am on a laptop, working remotely and with no access to my desktop or NAS drive).That said, the issues existed on the desktop too, several years ago

What I HAVE done is reproduced the exact same path on the new machine as existed in the old one.

I have tried restoring multiple backups from MC11, 13, 16 and probably others too - they restore my library, but all playlists are blank.

When I try to import playlists (making sure the paths to the files within them are correct) I still end up with the playlists themselves in the list of "imported playlists", but no tracks listed within them - nothing.

I can provide sample playlists, all of which were created in, exported from and imported to MC - none of this was done externally.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 03:40:47 pm »

I currently have no installed version that has my playlists working (I am on a laptop, working remotely and with no access to my desktop or NAS drive).That said, the issues existed on the desktop too, several years ago

Hmm.  So doesn't that kind of mean that you don't have any playlists?  Or does it mean you have playlists with lots of songs, but none play?

I can provide sample playlists, all of which were created in, exported from and imported to MC - none of this was done externally.

Sure.  If the playlists have songs in them, definitely attach one or two here.

Brian.

K1lted

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 11:22:49 am »

Hmm.  So doesn't that kind of mean that you don't have any playlists?  Or does it mean you have playlists with lots of songs, but none play?

I exported the playlists from a previous version on a different machine (with the same file path) . . . the playlist has the songs listed in it, but when I import it into a newer version, the playlist is created, but has no songs listed!

Sure.  If the playlists have songs in them, definitely attach one or two here.

I will pull them off of an external drive and endeavour to find out how to do exactly that!

Thanks, Brian

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 11:48:55 am »

I exported the playlists from a previous version on a different machine (with the same file path) . . . the playlist has the songs listed in it, but when I import it into a newer version, the playlist is created, but has no songs listed!

That's definitely what happens when you import simple playlists (like M3U or M3U8) that have the wrong paths or wrong file names.  It could be as simple as one drive letter or directory name being incorrect.

I will pull them off of an external drive and endeavour to find out how to do exactly that!

Cool.  I'll look forward to seeing them.  If we can get your playlists working in MC again, I think that would be awesome.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up