INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashed 2 times  (Read 3071 times)

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
Crashed 2 times
« on: December 17, 2015, 11:15:21 am »

Hi,

MC have just crashed 2nd time in the span of ~10 minutes. I have enabled logging after the 1st crash. In the windows event viewer it says that faulting module is ntdll.dll. Also, don't know if it's relevant though, a second later after the 2nd crash an error was logged in the windows event viewer that says DistributedCOM in the 'Source' column.

Attached log zip for the second crash below

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Crashed 2 times
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 04:28:31 am »

Hi

Totally guessing here, but it looks like you have an old driver installed for the NVidia .. and that you are using Win10. I'd go there first, and make sure you have the latest one .. then load the most current version of JRiver.

You seem to be loading a plugin that I don't no anything about "hhportable" might have something to do with it, not sure what it is though sorry. Can this be disabled for you to test?

The rest of the log is not showing the crash that I can see, but I'm not an expert  :)

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 05:21:08 am »

Hi

Totally guessing here, but it looks like you have an old driver installed for the NVidia .. and that you are using Win10. I'd go there first, and make sure you have the latest one .. then load the most current version of JRiver.

You seem to be loading a plugin that I don't no anything about "hhportable" might have something to do with it, not sure what it is though sorry. Can this be disabled for you to test?

The rest of the log is not showing the crash that I can see, but I'm not an expert  :)

Actually nvidia driver version is 359.06 which is the latest for my gpu. I've been on this version for approximately 2 weeks without a problem, so don't know if it's nvidia issue.

I'm on stable release channel, version 21.0.23. Not sure if it's good idea to install less stable latest version - from what I've gathered some peoople had crashing problems on version .026/027?

I definitely haven't installed any plugins, at least knowingly. Where in MC can I check if I have any plugins installed? (On the wiki it says go to Tools>Plug-in Manager, but I don't see ''Plug-in Manager'' in Tools)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 05:59:44 am »

Antivirus software often causes problems like that.

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 07:00:40 am »

I don't have any anti-virus software installed besides Windows Defender.

On a semi related note: One of the search results for ''ntdll.dll'' suggests that crashes related to it may have something to do with a corrupted windows user profile. I also remember reading that windows 10 problems with start menu, search bar and action center (which I get quite frequently) may also be related to a corrupted user profile. So maybe I should give a shot to reinstalling windows 10 during a weekend, especially since my first clean install of windows 10 didn't go smoothly.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 08:32:58 am »

Actually nvidia driver version is 359.06 which is the latest for my gpu. I've been on this version for approximately 2 weeks without a problem, so don't know if it's nvidia issue.

I'm on stable release channel, version 21.0.23. Not sure if it's good idea to install less stable latest version - from what I've gathered some peoople had crashing problems on version .026/027?

I definitely haven't installed any plugins, at least knowingly. Where in MC can I check if I have any plugins installed? (On the wiki it says go to Tools>Plug-in Manager, but I don't see ''Plug-in Manager'' in Tools)
yep that's the right driver and i think the "hh-portable" plugin is for hand-held -- maybe you are syncing a phone that you can turn off in options -- but if I'm right that wouldn't cause a system crash. If you are getting a system crash and not just JRiver stopping, what happens to me might be linked to what you red about Win10. What happens is that explorer messes up and consequently search and the "start menu" won't open. Happens after watching streamed full screen videos for me. The, euh painful,  work around is to right click on the Window icon and launch task manager and then find windows explorer and restart the process.

Other than that can't suggest anything really, but I doubt its coming fromm JRiver ...  at least nothing I can see in the logs (again I'm not a real expert on interpreting logs though  :P ) It could have something to do with win explorer being messed up and then JRiver can no longer find the files I suppose.

PS - new versions aren't unstable, actually they often contain fixes. I tell my friends to use stable if they don't want to upgrade all the time. But if they have a problem, they should be on the latest version as the people here that can help will almost always have the latest version loaded and might not be able to reproduce the issue because it could have been fixed  in a later release. Your choice of course

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 09:31:40 am »

Did you try reinstalling MC?

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 10:00:36 am »

Did you try reinstalling MC?

No, not yet. Probably tomorrow I will do a clean install of windows 10 and install the latest version of MC. Will see how it goes from there.

Worth noting, however, that I have not had any new crashes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up