INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issue Report: Hanging Video  (Read 2292 times)

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck
Issue Report: Hanging Video
« on: December 17, 2015, 03:39:24 pm »

I'm running V21.0.23 with media stored on a local NAS and a bunch of parametric EQ for audio. The set-up has worked well for years but, more recently, I've had at least one video file that won't play with it either a) hanging on the "open" splash-screen or b) stopping during playback with no ability to re-start. This file is a Blu-Ray in a MKV format but I've not experienced the issue with other files in a similar format. Any and all assistance would be much appreciated. Logs have been sent to logs at jriver dot com.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Issue Report: Hanging Video
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 03:48:06 pm »

The first test you should do is to copy that video file to your JRiver computer.

If it plays then you know to troubleshoot your network (NAS), if it doesn't play then something is wrong with the file (or a different issue) but this way you can eliminate the NAS/network as the problem.
Good luck

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 04:36:02 pm »

Yes, I've copied the file to a local drive and will test over the weekend. Meanwhile, however, I've used ToTu LAN Speed Test (Lite) which tells me that the speed between the host and NAS is 620Mbps (Upload) abnd 875Mbps (download) which I'd have thought was acceptable?

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 06:14:56 pm »

There was some discussion of issues in the MC networking code that they are currently working on. This might cause problems accessing a NAS. (I keep all my files on a NAS and had to turn off auto-import in order to stop a hang bug on exit).

So, it may not be the NAS, but some issue re: network access code.

Then again, I don't really know what issues they are working on, so this is conjecture. :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 06:47:29 pm »

The most common causes for those kind of playback errors would be:

* Networking issues (if data delivery to MC stalls, then playback will stall or fail). But this would be ruled out if you tried local copies (which is why it was suggested).

* Video card or audio device driver issues (which could be a new issue, even if the driver didn't change, with a newer Windows Update or version of MC). You may want to check for updates for your video card and audio device drivers, or possibly roll back to an earlier one (especially if you recently updated something).

* Security software interference. AV and other security suites can change their behavior with definitions updates, and do all sorts of crazy, unexpected, and mean and nasty things to interfere with MC accessing files on disk (which would seem, otherwise, to be the basic point of an Operating System. Anyway, AV stuff gets in the way, and it changes sometimes in unexpected ways.

* File corruption on disk. Check to ensure the files in question play properly in other players (MPC-HC is a good choice since it will also use the LAV filters like MC, and maybe VLC player).

JRiver did recently include a patch for a bug related to networking stalls in the beta build, but I don't know that it would manifest like this. I'm sure that version will be out relatively soon, but it is absolutely worth checking the other stuff above as well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up