INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Playlists and "Update tags (from Library)"  (Read 6844 times)

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
Problem with Playlists and "Update tags (from Library)"
« on: December 18, 2015, 03:12:55 pm »

Stupid me, poking around in the menus for fun, and ran "Update tags (from Library)" which resulted in a bunch of persistent errors about not being able to find/create some subdirectory on C:\.

Had to reboot the laptop (server) a couple times to make the errors go away, but now none of my playlists will play ("something went wrong with playback"). Consistent error.

I seem to be able to play from the Audio section OK, but occasionally will now get the "something went wrong..." error there as well. Seems to get about 6 songs into an album before stopping.

Help!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem with Playlists and "Update tags (from Library)"
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 04:30:29 pm »

Hmm, this is odd.  Update Tags (from library) tries to read the tags from MC's internal database (library) and write them out to your external media files.  If it can't find one or more files, that would explain the errors.

Your playlists not working are also explained by the files not being accessible.  Have you played these files recently?  Did you do something else recently like maybe Rename, Move, and Copy files?

For one of the files that won't play, look at the full file path.  Do Locate > On disk external .  Is the file there?  Is the path what you expect?

If this is just a database problem (library) and not an external media problem (files missing, moved, or offline) then you can do library restore to return to an earlier point in time.  But I wouldn't do that without some testing first.  (File > Library > Restore Library)

Brian.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 05:38:02 pm »

Hi Brian, and thanks for the quick reply. And, you're asking questions that border on my MC edge-of-knowledge...

I have my server run on a Win7 laptop, and I sync to a Win7 desktop and a Win10 desktop. I'm sitting at the Win10 machine, and when I look at the filename/path for the tracks, I do NOT see what I expected to see!

In fact, when I look at my audio files, it appears that everything's been replicated... oy.

Here's my intended (i.e., the normal) path:

Filename:   mp3   \\HOLLANDERMUSIC\music\SongVault\Jake Bugg\Shangri La\01 Jake Bugg - There’s A Beast And We All Feed It.mp3

But right below each file is a duplicate, with this path:

Filename:    m01p://192.168.1.23:52199/MCWS/v1/File/GetFile?File=46487

And the playlists have ONLY this new imposter, not the "real" path.

Another fine mess I've gotten myself into???

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 05:58:18 pm »

I'd go to the server machine and do the checks and things from there.  I'm unsure about how the clients interact.  Others here can probably help you with that.  There *is* some weird bug about editing playlists on a client causing problems on the server, but I can't remember what it is.

Maybe someone else can step in here?

Brian.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 05:12:39 pm »

FYI, checked on the server. Same situation. I have double the number of files now, with no new music! #sadface.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 08:46:46 am »

OK, well, I could see the "m01p://" source in my Playing Now, and i deleted it. That took out the duplicate entries from the Files, but now my Playlists look like a swashbuckler tore through it... I'll need to figure out how to restore my Playlists??? Clues and help welcome, please! Thank you in advance, kind universe!

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 10:00:11 am »

You could restore a library backup from before this problem happened.  MC makes library backups every couple of days automatically.  File > Library > Restore Library .

You might want to make a backup first.  Just so you can get back to this half way working point if your library restore is even worse for some odd reason.  Good luck.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 10:29:07 am »

You could restore a library backup from before this problem happened.  MC makes library backups every couple of days automatically.  File > Library > Restore Library .

You might want to make a backup first.  Just so you can get back to this half way working point if your library restore is even worse for some odd reason.  Good luck.

Brian.
This is good advice.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 07:16:14 pm »

Could someone orient me on backing up and restoring playlists? Entries in the forum are quite old (MC10, for instance), and I'm trying to "export playlists" now, but it just makes the server hang. I only have a couple dozen.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 07:50:06 pm »

nevermind, figured it out. worked great, just can't figure out what went wrong in the first place.

While I'm in my happy place, and things humming along, is there a "best practices" for backups (library, et al)? Frequency, importance (redundancy), etc., based on how big a PITA (pain in the ear) it is to re-create, re-load, and/or re-instate? That could be a good forum entry, no?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 12:19:48 am »

With backups of anything, more is better.  MC makes automatic backups.  You can see them if you start the restore process.

If you'd like to ask for advice, please start a new topic with an appropriate title.
Pages: [1]   Go Up