INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-artist album shows correctly on server, but as separate albums on client  (Read 2889 times)

brennanmh

I've got MC21 installed on my Mac (El Capitan) and when I imported my old iTunes library it seems to have correctly set Album Artist (Auto) to (Multiple Artists) and shows a multi-artist album as a single album.

But, when I connect from MC21 on my Windows machine (Windows 10 x64), and go to the same multi-artist album (using search), it shows as N different albums, one per artist.

What am I missing?  ?

Thanks,
Brennan

Screen shots:

Mac MC21 Server:

Windows MC21 Client:

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

I'm pretty sure it's a bug. I see the same thing with a windows server and several different linux clients, but (crucially) not with a windows server and several different windows clients.  I think there's something goofy about how album artist (auto) based views get handled in a cross-platform setting.  It was briefly fixed in MC 20 but reappeared and never left.

Can you test something for me?  Check the album artist field (not Album Artist(auto)) for those albums and see if it's populated.  If it's not could you try manually entering a value in the Album Artist field and see if that affects it?  My experience has been that some of my compilation albums show the behavior and some don't, and I think the difference might be linked to whether the Album Artist is explicitly specified or whether the (auto) logic is forced to engage.

brennanmh

Thanks for getting back so quickly!!

So, first off, I checked with another Mac running MC21 as a client and the multi artist album displayed correctly as one album.

On the server, Album Artist, not (auto), was blank for all songs on the album in question.

I changed Album Artist to "(Multiple Artists)" to match the auto tag and it now displays correctly in the windows MC21 client.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I you want me to try anything else. Happy to help.

MikeO

You have solved it yourself, it's a quirk I found as well

Simply make the album artist tag various artists or various and the same album tag in each track of the album concerned . MC will then show them as one album

Mike

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

Okj your experience tracks mine.  It's definitely a bug, but a bug with a workaround.

JohnT

This will be fixed in build 21.0.39.  Thanks for the reports.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up