INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Apologies / How To ??  (Read 3188 times)

WTWASP

• Recent member
  • Sometimes I feel so incomplete...
My Apologies / How To ??
« on: August 27, 2003, 02:36:12 am »

First of all, I would like to apologize to anyone I might have offended with my most recent post. I was pretty cranky by the time I came in here looking for answers as to why things weren't co-operating on MCv9.0

Now, although I seem to have overcome the problem I was having, I still don't know how I fixed it, and I have encountered a couple of new stumpers:

1) After first re-installing MC, I cannot seem to get the player off of whatever mode causes it to repeat the same track when left to play on its own. Even clicking the double arrows buttons (next/previous track) don't work... the only thing that helps is to click on the track I wanna hear next - quite the nuisance if I am doing something else, either at or away from the computer. There seems to be no setting for this. I have somehow managed to get it the way I want, where it will play all tracks in the playlist consecutively on its own, and the next/prev track buttons work the way they should.
How and where do I set the configurations to get out of (or even return to) this "Repeat 1/All" mode, so I will know for next time? What should the settings say?

2) I had a Windows Media File which I wanted to convert to MP3, but it was refusing to do it for me, simply saying it could not be done, but not saying why. I tried changing the destination of the new file, but no luck. I eventually just had to give up - fortunately, I found another copy of the same file already in MP3 format. Do I need to get some plug-ins or something? How do I get this and all other features to work? (I just know there will be another hiccup with something else somewhere at some point)

Well, I guess that's really all for now...

Thanks to anyone who can fill in these blanks for me

W T WASP

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: My Apologies / How To ??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 03:46:45 am »

2) I had a Windows Media File which I wanted to convert to MP3, but it was refusing to do it for me, simply saying it could not be done, but not saying why. I tried changing the destination of the new file, but no luck. I eventually just had to give up - fortunately, I found another copy of the same file already in MP3 format. Do I need to get some plug-ins or something? How do I get this and all other features to work? (I just know there will be another hiccup with something else somewhere at some point)

Well, I guess that's really all for now...

Thanks to anyone who can fill in these blanks for me

No, you don't need a special plug in. It will work off the get go.... However since it is a new install you might need to get the MP3 plugin...

Goto - Tools - Plugin Manager - Encoder - MP3 Encoder and select add.

Now if it still doesn't work post your system:
Help- System Info

And lastly, Converting from WMA to MP3 is not really that advisable as you will lose quality, Your better off reripping it. (Unless you used WMA Lossless...)

Why do you want to convert it anyway??

-

nila

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 04:05:07 am »

For 1.

There are three little icons to the right hand side of the track position bar - one of them is for repeat mode!

There is no: Repeat current song mode though - just repeat all or dont repeat.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 05:27:55 am »

1. Are you sure you don't just have 1 file in Playing Now? And if not, can you play the others individually?

2. Sounds like it might be a DRM issue. Or it could just be the missing MP3 plugin like others have suggested.

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 12:58:38 pm »

1. Are you sure you don't just have 1 file in Playing Now? And if not, can you play the others individually?

Good one.  I bet that's it.  If WTWASP is viewig the library and double clicking (set in options to replace all) it'll just keep playing the same track over and over until he double clicks another.  I just bet it's that!

WTWASP

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 04:35:34 pm »

And lastly, Converting from WMA to MP3 is not really that advisable as you will lose quality, Your better off reripping it. (Unless you used WMA Lossless...)

Why do you want to convert it anyway??

For consistency... practically all my files are MP3s.. and some players are so picky when it comes to WMAs... so to avoid the headache, and make everything compatible from player to player, I prefer MP3 at a bitrate of 128kbps

Furthermore, isn't a 128k MP3 of a  smaller file size than WMA?
Maybe not, but I would still be left wit hthe compatibilty problem.

Thanks for your help  :)

W T WASP

WTWASP

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 04:39:08 pm »

For 1.

There are three little icons to the right hand side of the track position bar - one of them is for repeat mode!

There is no: Repeat current song mode though - just repeat all or dont repeat.

Well, I figured all that much out. I already KNEW the Repeat button was esentially to allow the playlist to replay itself afterthe last track or just have it stop.

My problem was with WHY it was looping a single track, which belonged to a playlist.
?
W T WASP

WTWASP

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 04:42:39 pm »

2. Sounds like it might be a DRM issue. Or it could just be the missing MP3 plugin like others have suggested.

1. No, I have an entire playlist loaded.. but it just loops whatever track I am playing at the time. I can manually select by clicking the track, but that's the only way to get each song played, is by manually selecting it.

2. Well, I looked into it. It was failed to be mentioned what file I slect after clicking "Add". I assumed it was the MP3 .dll ?
But that's what I chose, so I guess I will see come the next coversion time.
W T WASP

WTWASP

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 04:46:53 pm »

Good one.  I bet that's it.  If WTWASP is viewig the library and double clicking (set in options to replace all) it'll just keep playing the same track over and over until he double clicks another.  I just bet it's that!

Well this sounds like the closest thing to an answer to my question, which was (in part) WHAT SETTINGS should be set to avoid a single-track-repeat within a playlist?

So, In the "Options", it oughta be set to "Replace All" for a continuous play of ALL tracks in a playlist? Is that corrrect?
W T WASP

WTWASP

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 04:49:25 pm »

THANKS TO ALL who replied with suggestions and remedies for my MCv9.0 troubles.

As I said, the problem of single track repeast has somehow solved itself, but I was wanting to know what settings ought to be should it happen again.

And as for the file conversion, I will have to wait and see upon the next conversion attempt to see if the .dll I selected works.

Thanks again.

W T WASP

jleerigby

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2003, 11:15:41 pm »

Well this sounds like the closest thing to an answer to my question, which was (in part) WHAT SETTINGS should be set to avoid a single-track-repeat within a playlist?

So, In the "Options", it oughta be set to "Replace All" for a continuous play of ALL tracks in a playlist? Is that corrrect?

I think you are getting mixed up between 'Playlist' and 'Playing Now'.  If I'm wrong then ignore everything I say from now on.

If you are viewing and clicking on a Playlist rather than 'Playing Now' that's where your problem lies.  A Playlist, like the Media Library is just a group of files stored in your library - it is not the list of currently playing tracks.  If you double click a track either in the Media Library or a Playlist it will add it to the PLAYING NOW list and, depending on what option you have set as mentioned in the post above, it will probably get rid of everything else in the Playing Now list.  That means you have just one track in the Playing Now list so it keeps playing this over and over until you double click another and then that one is the only track in the Playing Now list.

Make sure that once you've selected the tracks from your Playlist or Media Library that you want to play that you select Playing Now from the Tree (top left).  Alternatively you can set the Jump On Play setting in options so it automatically jumps to Playing Now when you play a file.

Once you've sussed this out try out the various options for double click behaviour to see what suits you best.  You may find that 'Add to playing now (end)' works better for you.  If you use this you'll need to clear unwanted tracks manually from playing now when you've finished listening to them.  Do this by selecting Playing Now then right click> clear playing now.  Alternatively, you could clear Playing Now by selecting some more tracks in a Media Library or Playlist that you want to play and right click>Play.  This will replace the contents of Playing Now with the new tracks instead of Adding to Playing Now.

I hope this helps.

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2003, 06:15:42 am »

Furthermore, isn't a 128k MP3 of a  smaller file size than WMA?
Maybe not, but I would still be left wit hthe compatibilty problem.

A 128k file of any format should be roughly the same size for roughly the same length of song, assuming sample size is the same (16 bit, 24 bit, etc...). The question is whether MP3 or WMA will sound better at 128 kbps (not touching that one).

zevele10

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2003, 08:37:17 am »

At 128 ,WMA or OGG BY VERY VERY VERY FAR

jleerigby

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2003, 08:50:32 am »

Any feedback WTWASP?

WTWASP

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2003, 07:07:53 pm »

Hmmm... well, all I am gathering is that at 128kbps bit rate, sound quality is best in a WMA file type.

But I will say again, I don't care for all these odd or uncommon file types like WMA or OGG or OOG or whatever, cos they are not compatible with some players, like WinAmp or MusicMatch Jukebox.

Sorry, but I use many players for different jobs and I need to know that one file will be accepted by all.

As for why I would convert an MP3 higher than 128 DOWN to 128, it's simply for filesize purposes.

I was advised that one can get pretty good sound quality while getting a minimal filesize to avoid taking up a lotta disk space, by using 128kbps (works out to about a meg per minute of the song's duration).

And that's good enough for me

:)
W T WASP

jleerigby

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2003, 09:45:06 pm »

Well that was to do with your second question.  Do you have the answer to your first question?
Pages: [1]   Go Up