INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to play MP3 Streams  (Read 6663 times)

defiant

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Unable to play MP3 Streams
« on: July 30, 2003, 02:24:33 pm »

I got version 9.1.224 and Win XP.  I am unable to listen to MP3 streamed with the new version.  Could you guys look into it?  I can listen to it with MusicMatch.  The site that I listen from is digitallyimported.com.  I just get an error saying Media Center encountered errors - dont know what errors.  The servers are not down because I tried it with Musicmatch at the same time and it works.   >:(

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Unable to play MP3 Streams
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 02:42:48 pm »

You can't directly use the digitallyimported buttons. In Moz FireBird (maybe IE), you right click on the Trance 128 button (for instance) and select properties. For the given example, http://di.fm/mp3/trance128k.pls is the address. Copy the string. In MC, go to File>Open Streaming File. Paste the address in the dialog box and click on OK. MC will play the stream.

10-27

edit: The Chillout 128K stuff is pretty good! (address is http://di.fm/mp3/chillout128k.pls)

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 02:49:58 pm »

beside it ,it is a very easy to use program.....

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 03:01:44 pm »

I've been having MP3 streaming problems myself (was: re: http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1059503784;start=0#3).

I just gave digitallyimported.com a shot and, interestingly enough, I could stream the Deep House channel but the Chill Out channel gave me the same problem.  I switched back to Deep House and it cleared up again.  Now I'm completely confused as to what could be causing this problem I'm having.
Toast goes in the toaster.

xen-uno

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 03:06:41 pm »

Yeah...I'm not sure. No problem here.

Right now I'm DL'ing B225 and streaming Chillout 128K (on B224). Firewall? Bandwidth throttling? ?

10-27

Update: Installed B225 and am streaming Chillout...no change. Everything is groovy.

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 03:11:51 pm »

I can play the Chill Out stream with Winamp and WMP9 no problem.  I can play the WMA version of the Chill Out stream in MC.  I doubt it's my firewall software due to the fact that I can stream some MP3 stations (aka. Deep House) okay.

Meanwhile, is there any other way to keep a list of streams that I like outside of Web Media?  Web Media doesn't list the Deep House station for me but when I try to add it, it claims it's already there!

xen-uno

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 03:35:01 pm »

Other than Web Media>Add Station...none that I know of. MC needs the ability to save streams locally (decoupled from JRiver's servers) for reasons you've made clear by example. When you do run File>Open Streaming Files, an extensive list of your MRU's is there via the combo box...but that certainly isn't a very easy way to start up a stream.

Hold on!...
I just created a playlist called teststream and dragged the stream from Playing Now over to it. After stopping, then selecting it (from teststream), then Play...it started up fine. Even shut down MC, restarted and then ran through the same process...no sweat, it came up. Long term viability is another question...will see.

10-27

PS: All the streams I referenced earlier were the mp3 streams (didn't...and wouldn't want to...test wma)

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2003, 03:44:43 pm »

A friend of mine whom I just turned on to MC tried the streams on her machine at home and has run into the same problem as I have.  Deep House works, Chill Out doesn't, Modern Jazz works, KEXP.ORG doesn't.

Same issues.  Entirely different computer set-up (both XP SP1) but her machine is slower, less RAM, no software firewall, different soundcard, cable instead of DSL.  Her machine was recently rebuilt too.

xen-uno:  thanks for the tip on the playlist.  It works for me too except that it keeps changing the name of the stream itself to whatever the current track is being played, even in the playlist!

xen-uno

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2003, 04:02:20 pm »

It does here, too...but you can always be descriptive with the playlist name.

Here's my current setup...is there any major (worthwhile) difference?

Media Center Registered 9.1.225 -- d:\MediaCenter\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 697 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 196 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3700.6705 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive X:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive Y:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive Z:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   S:\mp3\RaceRun.wav

Burning /  Drive X: SONY     DVD RW DRU-500A    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
 Drive Z: YAMAHA   CRW-F1E            Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:44  BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

note: also have DirectX 9.0b installed

10-27

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 04:24:48 pm »

I installed 9.0b just the other day.  They most major differences are our computers and operating systems.  I a have an Athlon with a gig of RAM:

Media Center Registered 9.1.225 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1730 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 524 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A

defiant

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2003, 06:24:06 am »

I tried to use Open Streaming File already - that didnt work either.  I went back to 9.0 and it wont work either.   So, went further back to 8.0 and it works!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2003, 06:34:18 am »

Please include a link to the stream you can't play.

defiant

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2003, 09:57:30 am »

Jim,

None of the streams from digitallyimported.com work on my machine.  It gives me an error message telling me to make sure library is pointing to the right location.  I tried copying the link and using File->Open Streaming option as suggested by some of the other people - but that didnt work either.

MMJB works with this site but I would rather get MC to work right rather switch back and forth.  Thanks for your help.

xen-uno

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2003, 10:08:19 am »

xen-uno > Long term viability is another question...will see

Rands...
She's viable. Tried this morning and it didn't work, but I think it was ISP/Internet related because I just started the stream up out of the streamtest playlist.

Defiant...
As you can see, it's not MC. May be something with your OS setup...or your ISP.

10-27

defiant

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2003, 10:12:01 am »

I dont think it can be related to my ISP.  As I said in my posts, MMJB works with the same site at the same time.  

Could it be something on my computer? Maybe - but I dont know what though.  I can play MP3s etc. on MC just fine.  I just cant stream.

Nikolay

• Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2003, 10:23:06 am »

I just tried all streams available at digitallyimported.com and did not have any problems.

xen-uno,

You don't have to copy and paste the links. Use drag and drop or, even better, associate MC with PLS files and click on the button. The same goes for ASX streams.

What kind of connection do you have to the Internet (modem, cable, etc.)?

Nikolay

xen-uno

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2003, 10:51:03 am »

Nik,

I'm running DSL 640/640 here.

> Use drag and drop or, even better, associate MC with PLS files and click on the button

Drag & drop? From the digitallyimported.com webpage? With FireBird, it only brings the button GIF over (unsuccessfully). From inside MC? That's what streamtest is for. Associating does not work here. I've done that. W2k sees the association correctly, but if I click on one of the address links I posted above, it does bring MC to the front, but nothing else happens***. Same with the buttons from the DI page.

10-27

***I shouldn't say nothing. A dialog box opens ever so briefly (too fast to read)

edit: OK...D & D'ing the link addresses (from either these posts or from FB's link properties) to MC does work...but as said b4, clicking doesn't

defiant

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2003, 12:17:48 pm »

Nikolay,

We have a T1 in my company.  So, I highly doubt if the internet connection could be causing this problem.  And you say all the streams work from DI.  I do have PLS associated with MC.  MC comes up attempting to play the stream but gives me an error right away:
"Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last serveral files.
Please make sure that the path in the Media Jukebox library points to the right location."

I get this same message again and again.  I even tried deleting everything from my library and it still gives me the same error.

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2003, 03:07:22 pm »

Latest update from me on this:

With .226, I can no longer stream from Digitally Imported at all.  It'll stream just fine for a little bit and then will suddenly stop and start repeating a half-second bit of sound endlessly until I press stop.

Also interesting to note is that I can play the 128k stream of Deep House but can't play the 56k stream.  The latter sounds like a badly encoded MP3, much like most of the MP3 streams I encounter.

xen-uno

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2003, 03:08:46 pm »

Achtung baby!!!

MC streaming (of http://www.DigitallyImported.com) works directly from the web page now. Nothing was mentioned in the B226 release notes about a fix on MC's end. DL'd and installed latest testing build (0.6.1 dated 07/31/03) of FireBird. Works like a champ. May have been FB all along.

Most excellent!

10-27

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2003, 03:12:57 pm »

Streaming from the webpage has always worked for me through MyIE2.   :)

defiant

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2003, 10:40:40 am »

I updated to 9.1.226 and still no luck streaming. :(

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2003, 10:31:55 am »

An update from me:

I bought a new soundcard, an M-Audio Revolution 7.1, and all of the problems persist.  So I know it's not my old card or the drivers.  Running .230.

Other details:  http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1059503784;start=0#3

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2003, 09:51:07 am »

I have no problems with any streams from Digitally Imported.

Listen to Tance and Eurodance channels everyday.

You can drag the DIGITALLY IMPORTED from Playing Now window to your Audio Library.  That way the link is stored locally.

Media Center Registered 9.1.232 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2806 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 319 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive D: SONY     DVD+RW  DRU-120A   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  BurnProof:No
 Drive E: SONY     DVD RW DRU-500A    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2003, 10:57:54 am »

If the problems occur for some and not for others, we need to know what is different.  Please report: your connection type & speed (DSL, modem, etc), your sound card, and whether other software is running (Real Active StartCenter, for example).

The problem may have to do with whether the connection is fast enough to play the stream without a lot of buffering.

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2003, 11:07:26 am »

Soundcard:  M-Audio 7.1 Revolution
(I also had this problem with an Audigy)
Connection:  786 SDSL

I have no other sound related software running.  Any of the streams I have problems with in MC play just fine with Winamp.  I've tried ASIO, DirectSound, and WaveOut.  Problem persists.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2003, 11:10:54 am »

I just locked the other thread that was going on this subject:
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1059503784

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2003, 11:11:57 am »

Does your motherboard use the Via chipset?

LisaRCT

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2003, 11:48:37 am »

Mine uses VIA . . .
some streams work for me others do not . .  got the trance digitally imported but no the chill-out, etc.

Using DSL @ 756+,  AMD XP, WinXP SP4, Creative Live!, Direct Sound, no other MM software running.  Seems to be just certain streams.

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2003, 12:36:30 pm »

My motherboard is also VIA (MSI KT3 Ultra).  And, like Lisa, some streams work, some don't.  For example, I can play Photon Radio without a problem.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2003, 12:52:11 pm »

Try a search both here and at google for "via chipset" sound problems.  You should find some help.

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2003, 01:36:16 pm »

Tried upgrading to the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers but the issue persists.

LisaRCT

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2003, 04:12:49 pm »

Try a search both here and at google for "via chipset" sound problems.  You should find some help.

Jim, I have followed that advice in the past and updated VIA drivers which changed nothing.

Also, I have no sound problem, my sound works fine, ONLY streaming is a problem and ONLY with certain streams, so why search "VIA & sound problems"?.   ?

signed,
confused

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2003, 04:40:12 pm »

Hi

Didnt Want to reiterate on this.

But JimH is right on VIA chipsets.

Dont buy MBs with their chipset.

So, have not done any streaming with 9.1.

But I do know VIA

So, If this helps you all.

Load MS Via drivers and try.

They are the only da?? thing that works right with VIA.

There was another outfit a while back that was provideing drivers for their chipset, but I dont know now.

Hoped I helped ya, but I tried.

O/T Hey Lisa:

Pa. OK.

What part?

Born and raised in Steeler country, Here.
Me from from the North side. Wife from the South side.

We courted at the point, watch 3 rivers staidum being built. Now its gone.

Unlike The King , We still can fit in the shower.

But , then again we are living down here in King country.

So maybe we will not in the future.

Take care people

Griff

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2003, 04:50:09 pm »

Did you search here?  And at google?

I'll tell you what I remember just because you may find something you can search on.

"Via chipset latency" problem is, I think what you need to look for.

You may be able to adjust something in the bios that affects this.

Thank you, griff, for chiming in.  It's nice to see you around the old place.

LisaRCT

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2003, 07:48:28 am »

OK, I will seek out info and drivers.
I had thought my driver update or bios update woulda been of help.
I am still confused because all other audio seems fine . . . but, as a blonde it is my natural state (well only blonde highlights, but that seems enough to do it).  ::)

btw Griff, I am from the N.E. end of the state, ya know where Eagles soar (or feebles bore)   ;D  . . . ..  not sure as I am not a sports fan.

Found this . . .  
http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/817/7.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up