INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some questions about views and customization  (Read 3177 times)

BoraBora

Some questions about views and customization
« on: December 30, 2015, 09:26:08 am »

Hi,

I've been testing MC for 2 weeks now and so far I like what I see. I have a hard time with views customization, though.

* Is it possible to mask or auto-hide the tree on the left? I tried to drag the divider but to no avail. Is it skin dependant?

* How many panels can you define in a single view? What I try to achieve is (from left to right):

Panel 1: 3 vertical panes (Year/Album artist/Artist): OK

Panel 2: Covers thumbnails according to the selection in the panes: OK

Panel 3a (top): tracklisting of the selected cover thumbnail (so I can choose which tracks I want to enqueue to my current playlist)
Panel 3b (bottom): current playlist

Can I do this third pane? I own a 40" 4K screen and I would prefer not to switch constantly between tabs.

If I'm not clear enough, I can sketch something in Paint.net.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Some questions about views and customization
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 10:02:39 am »

Welcome to the forum.

Double click on the little triangle on the divider to hide the tree.  There is also a setting somewhere.  The options page has a search window at the bottom.  It's probably under Tree & View.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 10:14:31 am »

* Is it possible to mask or auto-hide the tree on the left? I tried to drag the divider but to no avail. Is it skin dependant?

Auto-hide?  Not as far as I know.  But like Jim said, you can collapse it all the way to the left by clicking the little triangle that's just to the left of the divider bar.  Note that these pairs of triangles are in most dividers in MC, and can be used to fully hide or fully expand those divided areas.  Very convenient actually.  :)

Panel 3a (top): tracklisting of the selected cover thumbnail (so I can choose which tracks I want to enqueue to my current playlist)

I know why you're trying to do this and I've thought of it myself before.  It's not supported as far as I know.  But, you can toggle your list style with hot keys.  For instance <control><shift>U will show you the details view style.  <control><shift>P will show you the album thumbnails view style.  So you can toggle back and forth when you want to see details, or just album thumbnails.

Now this you can do!  Use Split Views.  Split Views allow you to split the main screen (middle) into several horizontal or vertical slices.  You can control the size of each one, and what is displayed in it.  Play around with it some:  View > Split View

Brian.

BoraBora

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 09:21:59 am »

Thanks for your answers, JimH and blgentry! I played a lot with the split views but I confess I have a hard time with the panels.  :-[ I still have 12 days of trial, though, so I hope I'll find a satisfying organization for my needs.

Happy new year! :)

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:24:42 am »

have you tried using tabs for your views? this is my favorite way to use MC
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

trajanmcgill

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 03:40:35 pm »

Hi,

I've been testing MC for 2 weeks now and so far I like what I see. I have a hard time with views customization, though.

* How many panels can you define in a single view? What I try to achieve is (from left to right):

Panel 1: 3 vertical panes (Year/Album artist/Artist): OK

Panel 2: Covers thumbnails according to the selection in the panes: OK

Can I do this third pane? I own a 40" 4K screen and I would prefer not to switch constantly between tabs.

If I'm not clear enough, I can sketch something in Paint.net.

If you're willing to do a somewhat modified version of the above, one option would simply be to add a fourth pane listing albums, and then whenever you click one of those, the list will show its tracks for you to work with. The file list can (and does by default) have an album art column, so you still would be able to see the tracks grouped that way as you drilled down your panes, it just wouldn't be in a thumbnail view or clickable (you'd select tracks directly or else select an album in the pane to narrow down the listed tracks).

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 12:30:22 pm »

Double click on the little triangle on the divider to hide the tree.  There is also a setting somewhere.  The options page has a search window at the bottom.  It's probably under Tree & View.

I have read this in some recent posts. All that happens when I click on the "little triangle on the divider" is the elevator bar moves to the top. The divider NEVER disappears. Can you please be a little more specific as to what I need to do to make everything to the left of the divider disappear?

Thank you.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4412
* Firefox 126; Thunderbird 116

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 12:56:17 pm »

Wrong triangle.  Look at both the vertical and horizontal dividers.  In their mid-point, they have triangles.

If you still aren't able to get what you want, please try the default Noire skin.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 01:44:08 pm »

I see them now. Not a "little triangle" though, they are about 1 inch tall (wide) and located in the middle of the window on the divider bars.

And double-clicking them works! Thanks for your replies!
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4412
* Firefox 126; Thunderbird 116
Pages: [1]   Go Up