INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nice if Guide maintained last position after pressing "Record" button on remote  (Read 5720 times)

DeaneG

• World Citizen

A minor usability issue that would be nice to fix:

In theater view, after navigating the guide to some date/time/channel and pressing the "Record" button on a remote to schedule a program for recording, it would be nice if, after completing the recording setup, the guide returned to the same position instead of resetting its position to now/lowest channel.  With that change,  users could see a visual confirmation (the little red dot on the program in question) that they accomplished the setting they were trying to make.

RoderickGI: I'm eagerly awaiting your post to gently clue me in that this is already a configuration checkbox item :)

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I actually don't think there is a check box option for this one, but I think it's a good idea as well :-)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

RoderickGI: I'm eagerly awaiting your post to gently clue me in that this is already a configuration checkbox item :)

;D  Actually, I thought it already did that on my system. Can't check right now. There have been a few changes in that area recently, maybe something got broken.

I am pretty sure there is no checkbox for that one though.  ;)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Okay, I just checked what happened on my system, version MC21.0.30.

Whether I press OK then Record or Subscribe on the top menu, or press the Record button, MC always drops back into the Guide on the program that I just set to record or subscribed to. This is the behaviour I was expecting.

Note that I don't have MC set to ask me questions when I set a recording that way. I just have it use defaults. If you have it set to pop up questions that may be the difference causing the behaviour you observed. If so, try it without pop up questions and see if the issue still occurs. That will give Yaobing important information if there is a problem.

I just checked, and on my system even with pop up questions, MC drops back into the Guide at the program I was just working with.

The red dot appears for me as expected with or without pop ups.

Otherwise, I can't think of a setting that would cause the issue. Not a deliberate setting anyway.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!

I think the issue is when you press record button on a show that is in the future, we do not keep the position.

Without actually looking at the code, I think the problem is that after pressing the record button, the list resets, and we do not keep track of which program was just scheduled to be recorded.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

DeaneG

• World Citizen

Mine definitely resets the guide position and focus to now/first channel when I press the record button on an IR remote. It's easiest to notice by scrolling down to some high channel number, then pressing the record button. The recording can be now or in the future.

I'm using the Glass skin with the TV menus slightly edited, if that could make a difference. It happens the same on both systems I have available, one of which is configured to ask questions after pressing the record button, the other not.

I'm using 21.0.30 also.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

I tested programs both now and in the future, and a couple of channels down from the top, using my Logitech IR remote. Both worked fine.

I tested on the MC Server, but just checked again on the MC Client using the keyboard, and it worked fine as well.

I'm using the Standard View Noire skim, and Theatre View Obsidian skin.

DeaneG

• World Citizen

It seems to work fine if the channel to be marked for recording is on the first "page" of the guide. It's only after scrolling down past the first page worth of channels (to make the guide roll) that the problem becomes noticeable.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

I can scroll down to a second page or more, and four days to the right, it still works. The Guide does realign itself, but the program I select to record is still the highlighted program, now at the bottom row of the visible Guide and at the far right, instead of wherever it started out, which in my case was part way up the Guide and a program or two from the right edge.

Something else is going on if your Guide jumps completely to the now/lowest channel position.

DeaneG

• World Citizen

That is very different behavior compared to my two systems. Could it be because of the source of my EPG data? Or that I edited my theatre view's menu structure?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

I don't think it would be the EPG source. I use XMLTV provided by EPG Collector, but most of the sources are now XMLTV in the background.

It might be that you have edited the Theatre View menus, but I have done a bit of that was well, although I haven't moved the Guide position. But I think it is unlikely to be the problem.

I think this one may come down to Yaobing being able to reproduce it, and then have a look in the code. Or perhaps if more people spoke up about it, and confirmed it works for them or not. At least then we would know if it was isolated to your installations, or more generic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up