INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downmixing 2 channel into mono in a 2 channel container?  (Read 2166 times)

keylimesoda

• Recent member
Downmixing 2 channel into mono in a 2 channel container?
« on: January 04, 2016, 12:31:59 am »

Interesting quirk here.  I'm trying to bi-amp a single/mono speaker with active crossover.

This means that I'd like the audio to collapse to mono, but then to output into two channels (high->right, low->left).

With the current DSP Studio, when output is set to mono, the convolver appears to only be able to output a single-channel stream.

It looks like the output format has the ability to downmix 2 channel into a 4 channel container.  Is it possible to add a configuration that does downmixing 1 channel into 2 channel container to allow for active crossover on a mono speaker?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Downmixing 2 channel into mono in a 2 channel container?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 08:15:17 am »

I'm pretty sure what you want is possible with a 2 channel output.  You can do this through the parametric EQ section.  I would do the following parametric EQs:

1.  Adjust volume, -6 dB left, right
2.  Mix channels:  Add right to left
3.  Mix channels:  Copy Left to Right
4.  Remove high frequencies:  Left
5.  Remove low frequencies:  Right

Steps 1 - 3 sum left and right to mono.  4 and 5 apply the high pass and low pass crossovers to each channel.  I think that's what you want.

Brian.

keylimesoda

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 08:37:32 pm »

I'm using the convolver for the crossover (some other driver compensation built in using complex FIR filters).  So if I can sum both channels to mono using the EQ instead of the downmixer, that should work.

Works great.  I'm probably wasting some processing power convolving a channel I'm just throwing away, but the processor overhead is not a significant issue in this application.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 03:12:03 am »

I'm using the convolver for the crossover (some other driver compensation built in using complex FIR filters).  So if I can sum both channels to mono using the EQ instead of the downmixer, that should work.

Works great.  I'm probably wasting some processing power convolving a channel I'm just throwing away, but the processor overhead is not a significant issue in this application.
You can do the same directly in the cfg file, no need to use peq in that case
Pages: [1]   Go Up