INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library track numbering anomoly  (Read 2771 times)

chrisc

• Junior Woodchuck
Library track numbering anomoly
« on: December 23, 2015, 08:41:54 am »

On Tuesday I found every album in the library had tracks numbered 4.  Whether there were 2 tracks or 32, each track is numbered 4

I highlighted one album and ran Tools/Library Tools/Fill Tacj Numbers from List Order and this album then showed the tracks numbered 1 to 11

So I highlighted about 20 albums and executed the same command again.  This time, the tracks are numbered 11001, 11002, 11003, 11004, etc.  The right order but now with an extra 4 digits

Another peculiarity is that on JRemote on an iPad, the tracks numbered 11001, etc on the computer (Windows 7) are shown as 16001, etc.  Even worse!

However, starting to play track 1 of an album, it is shown as track 1 of 14, etc

Any ideas about how this can be corrected?

Thanks
If music be the food of love, play on

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library track numbering anomoly
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 08:59:38 am »

My best guess would be that you unintentionally changed all track numbers with the Tagging Window and now they are all "4".  When did you notice this?  You might try restoring a library backup from some short time before you noticed it and see if the track numbers are correct.

Your "fix" with trying to do 20 albums at once:  I don't think this is possible.  I thought the "fill track numbers..." tool only worked on single lists, not multiple lists at once.  There are ways of automating this, but they get tricky.  It would be much better if one of your earlier backups had the correct track numbers.  File > Library > Restore Library .

Brian.

chrisc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 07:52:42 am »

I spent 3 weeks re-tagging the albums so that track 1 is shown as track 1, etc, not 16001, etc

Today, while showing a visitor how JRemote on an iPad, I noticed that the tracks on the albums now had 4 digits, ie 1001, 1002, 1003, etc.  I had restarted iPad and JRemote just after starting JRiver on the computer again.  I just checked about 30 albums and all of them have different track numbers from what is on the computer

Anyone know what is going on here?
If music be the food of love, play on

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 07:58:32 am »

Don't confuse Sequence # with Track #.  Sequence # is displayed in some views to show the track's position in the list displayed. 

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 08:30:23 am »

Your "fix" with trying to do 20 albums at once:  I don't think this is possible.  I thought the "fill track numbers..." tool only worked on single lists, not multiple lists at once. 
Well unfortunately for the OP it is possible to change the order over multiple albums. I've done this on boxed sets that had been separated into individual albums before.  The track order will go sequentially from the first to the last selected files (records). So you should only use this one album at a time (I use this a lot for multi-disc cds, but I have made the album name the same for all of the discs).

The "undo" being too late, and if restoring the backup is no longer possible, I'd think the only way is to select each album individually and reorder them .... that would be extremely painful to do for 16000+ tracks.

It would be possible to update the library from the tags maybe IF the "write to file" option was not checked in the Track# Field in the options. Not sure what the default is for this. It might be possible to retag from the file name if the track number was included, but it would depend as it might affect metadata already in the db. It might be faster to reimport a backup copy of the physical media, although some info would be lost that wasn't/couldn't be written to the files.

I know its not fun to hear for the OP after the fact. But when I'm going to manipulate loads of metadata at once I try to always: make a manual backup, run on a small selection first, before running it on the entire library, and then check to see if that s what you want. You can use "undo" if needed if the program is not closed in the meantime. Sorry I know that doesn't help much now though

Spike1000

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 11:42:27 am »

If another field or the actual filename contains the original track number somewhere within a string the track number tag could be updated outside of MC with something like MP3Tag. One tag can be updated from another (or a section within a tag/filename). I've used this feature many times when tagging poorly tagged files before importing into MC.

You can possibly load *every* file into MP3Tag and renumber them all in one go resetting the count back to 1 in each new directory. This works in you can use a field to sort the files in the correct order but MP3Tag is pretty good at getting the track in the correct order with the information available.

Please take sensible precautions before making changes to large numbers of files just in case the results aren't as you intended.

Spike
Pages: [1]   Go Up