INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something went wrong with playback  (Read 4804 times)

Grant

• Recent member
Something went wrong with playback
« on: January 16, 2016, 03:14:02 pm »

All of the versions of MC I've had recently, 19-21, have worked a short time, then stop playing anything. The only error message I receive is: "Something went wrong with playback" which doesn't help me debug this at all.

The only solution I find is to reinstall, but that only works for a short time.

Anyone know what to do or try here?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Something went wrong with playback
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 03:37:52 pm »

The sound device may be unavailable.

Grant

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 03:42:23 pm »

Thanks Jim.

Audio works for any other software on my machine - is there some way to check how/why MC may be having trouble connecting to the sound device?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 04:05:53 pm »

We're going to need more info. What hardware do you have (sound card, on-board, DAC, ?), what are your audio settings (Tools>options>Audio>Audio Device), where are your media files located (internal drive, NAS, etc,)? Do you know how to post a log (help>logging)?

Grant

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 04:30:36 pm »

Thanks! Sorry to start vague.

Log file attached.

Device settings:
DSP & output don't look to have anything set - can't seem to set anything here as I get a msg that says "Selected output mode does not have any custom settings"
Nothing else in the Setting list is checked
prebuffering set at 6 seconds

Media files are on an external drive and MC sees them through a Z: network drive. (Network drive is connected/functioning and plays through other software.)

Note that if I navigate to the P: drive (instead of using the Z: drive, it still won't play - same error message)

Sound controllers lists three:
Intel Display Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Should I update drivers (if they'll update) on all three of those?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 06:58:14 am »

Your on MC20 (this is MC21 forum).
Your drivers are the current Win10 drivers (they should be fine)

Do you use "Direct Sound" or "WASAPI" under Tools>Options>Audio>Audio Devices? WASASPI is usually preferred - it would say something like "NVidia High Definition Sound (WASAPI)".

If Direct Sound is used, be sure to go to Windows Sound properties and select the device your using then go to Advanced Tab and make sure the max settings your system supports is selected there.

Lastly, in Tools>Options>Audio>Settings>DSP&Output>Output Format (need to have box checked in front of "Output Settings" for these setting to apply),  set the channels and/or sample rate to whatever your system supports in the case that your music/media is outputting something that your hardware can't play (i.e. music is 768Khz but hardware only does up to 192Khz, you would then set it to resample everything above Input >192 to  output=192).

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 08:37:13 am »

I have been getting this too - a lot - with many of the recent builds. Just yesterday - I was prepping some rote basic 16/44 rips from some recent CD buys and just gave Track 1 a quick go to see what it sounded like. About a minute from the end of a 4 minute track - that message pops up. Play the track again - never pops up a again.

There is nothing wrong with my audio device and for me - this issue always occurs right near the end of the first play of the first track of an album. Never happens at the start of the first song and never happens on any other song. Always song one and always about a minute from that track completing.

And then the error will not appear for days.

VP

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 09:05:31 am »

I've seen it too on a Client machine, where the message pops sometimes when I try to play/watch a saved/recorded TV Show. Then I click on the same Show (watch button) again and it plays. It's very random and not a frequent problem.

Grant

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 03:54:25 pm »

Argh. Accidentally opened MC20, but I do in fact have 21 and it behaves the same way.

I don't see this WASAPI as an option. As I mentioned earlier, the Audio Device menu only allows me to check or uncheck the box in front of "Device". When I click Device Settings under that, I get: The selected output mode does not have any custom settings. I don't see any place in Audio to change anything else as you suggest. I can't really even tell whether I'm using "Direct Sound" or not.

Regarding your last step at DSP & output settings - I do not see the check box at all that you mention, so can't throw that. Also, when I click DSP & output, a pop up window appears that is pretty empty. There is a window in it that looks like it should have maybe a plug in showing, but it's blank. Do I need to add a plug in there? (screen grab attached)

(regarding these other replies with similar problems, mine differs in that the only way to get it playing again is to uninstall and reinstall)

Thanks for any continued help - really appreciate it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 05:36:34 pm »

Something is very wrong with that Options dialog. It should look like this:

Also, you didn't clearly state above what audio device you're actually using, just which ones were available. What specific device are you using? But, in any case, that does not look right at all. Something is broken.

My guess is that the registry settings for MC are hopelessly hosed. Are you using a "Registry Cleaner" or anything like that?  I think you'd be best to:

1. Save a Library Backup.
2. Uninstall Media Center entirely. You'll probably need to uninstall MC20 (and/or older versions) as well, as the MC21 installer may pick up those settings from the old version and use them when you install the new version.
3. Reboot.
4. Reinstall Media Center using the latest installer.
5. Open it and configure Tools > Options > Audio as directed in the Audio Setup guide.
6. Restore your Library Backup and choose to restore only your Library, not your Settings.
7. Set other options as desired.

When you do step 6, you can try and restore the Settings from the backup if you want (if you have a lot of complicated non-default stuff in Tools > Options that isn't "part of" the Library). But if your Audio Options dialog gets messed up again afterwards, you might need to start over again (uninstall again and re-do everything as is described above) and set those settings manually.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Grant

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 11:21:29 pm »

Thanks for all the help.

I uninstalled/reinstalled per your instructions. Worked for a little while and yes, there was even a video source to select in that dialog box. But then it stopped working.

Yes, RegCleanPro runs, but it didn't run just now and still MC is now failing. I can clear the library, reload the library without the settings and it will work...for a little while. Then suddenly stop again.

So for some reason it won't stay "connected" to the audio device...
Pages: [1]   Go Up