INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting out of iTunes into JRiver  (Read 5208 times)

brent

• Recent member
Getting out of iTunes into JRiver
« on: January 18, 2016, 10:55:35 am »

Can anyone tell me if while I've got all my music in 'iTunes Library", and some of the songs have doubled and tripled and quadrupled over the years when changing to new computers, if there is any utility within JRiver that can help me with that problem?  I've tried several duplicate file finder softwares, and they don't seem to get the job done and take lots of time.  Partly they don't work because they can't distinguish between live versions and studio versions from the same artist, and time consuming other things.
Also, can any music be uploaded to my iPhone 5 from this service?
I know there's a free trial version, but my library is large and takes so much time to play around with, but JRiver has come highly recommended.  If anyone could answer first please, because also, I'm not real computer savvy.
Brent.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Getting out of iTunes into JRiver
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 11:02:30 am »

if there is any utility within JRiver that can help me with that problem?

You can create this smartlist to show you a listing of duplicates on the artist and names fields:
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~dup=[Artist],[Name] ~nodup=[Artist],[Name]

You create a smartlist by doing View > Add View > Add Smartlist

Then click "Import / Export" and paste the rule above in.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

brent

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:19:16 am »

Thanks. That worked and is much slicker than iTunes. Everything loaded well and eliminated the duplicates, after following your instructions.  However, there is this glitching and it says its buffering about 5-7 times every song. So is there a tweek to get smooth playback?  I don't know why it would need buffer time for music straight from my drive.  I can play the same material in VLC or iTunes without the glitching.  Thanks.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 11:57:05 am »

How many tracks in your library? The glitching on playback may be because MC is still very busy processing the meta data on all those tracks..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

brent

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 04:54:59 pm »

13,000.  That's probably the issue then.  I'll keep playing it over the next 29 days, if it clears up then I know its not me. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 08:32:24 pm »

You can also go to "Help/System Info" and look under "Background Tools Running" to see what MC is currently doing in the background, if anything.

I assume you have MC installed on a stand alone PC, which is both Server and Client. Otherwise make sure to run the above on the Server.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 01:14:19 am »

13,000 isn't a big number, but if the files aren't local, there may be a bottleneck in loading them, analyzing, and saving.  USB drives, for example, especially on USB 2.0 connetions.

brent

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 08:44:59 am »

Thanks for your responses.  Can you tell me whether I can install it on the other two computers within my home network or if that costs additionally please?  At this price do you guarantee how long it will be supported?  And will there ever be a request to pay more?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 03:27:34 pm »

You can use a single Windows license on all your Windows machines, within reason.  Thanks for asking.

The version you purchase will last indefinitely.  See this topic on our wiki for more information:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Updates

huang_wan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 04:51:09 pm »

I too am a recent convert. I'm a Mac guy but I use PC's too. JRiver MC is not an intuitive interface for me. Imagine with time it will be. I have a few newbie questions too:

1) This program does a lot. Is there a list somewhere that lists all the little sub programs?

2) I have PC's, Mac's, 4 players, and a NAS on my network, would each computer need to have MC loaded to be able to pull media from the NAS and play it on one of the players.

3) If the above is the case is there a file I could use on each instance of PC to avoid re scanning all the media files.

Thanks for the help

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 05:10:14 pm »

1.  No list.

2.  No.  Just use one as the server and the others as clients.  See "Media Network" on our wiki.

huang_wan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 05:45:39 pm »

Thanks Jim, somewhere I read the Mac version is missing a few things the Windows version has, if I use a Mac Mini as a server and a Windows laptop as a client, will I pick up the missing features of the Mac in the windows client?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 06:34:07 pm »

The major things missing in the Mac version are television and Theater View.  If you use Windows, you will have Theater View, but you still won't have television.

brent

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 12:33:29 pm »

I started the thread, and did buy the software today.  But now it only works in one room.  In the kitchen computer I tried a dozen songs, and one did play.
When I unistalled to see if that would help, I chose the option of leave my library there.  Because it had all transferred quite nicely in the trial version.  But now most of it won't play and there's no cover art.
Can you recommend anything?
It's Window 10 in one room and Windows 7 in the other.  But, again, it all worked when I was on "trial" version.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 02:45:45 pm »

Did anything change?

Try powering everything down and back up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up