INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ROHQ jumping in/out of Exclusive mode with OSD  (Read 7411 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
ROHQ jumping in/out of Exclusive mode with OSD
« on: January 23, 2016, 03:52:22 am »

I do not really know if it has behaved like this always, but I recently started to notice that when playing a video ROHQ in Exclusive video mode, it jumps out of Exclusive when activating OSD, then flips back to Exclusive when OSD is turned off. This happens also when adjusting volume. Once being aware of it, it gets a bit annoying to the point where adjusting volume is something you don't look forward to. Or any other OSD function, like taking a look at the progress bar and what's the time.

I have not been able to find any setting for this behaviour. Maybe someone could tell if this is unavoidable? If it is, what would I miss by not using windowed mode instead of exclusive mode?

I'm on 21.0.39, Win10.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: ROHQ jumping in/out of Exclusive mode with OSD
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 05:59:35 am »

This cannot be changed. Use the remote-control type OSD with the arrow keys for control without leaving exclusive mode, but admittedly its not designed for mouse interaction, but remote control usage.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 11:39:32 am »

I am not using the mouse, but the hp IR remote bought from JRiver a few years ago. Is that different from arrow keys?

Trumpetguy

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 11:57:34 am »

If I change the volume using the +/- buttons on the remote, the OSD volume slider appears without leaving Exclusive, and volume can be changed. So that suggests to me that it should be possible to show the other OSD fields in the same way, i.e. not going into Windowed mode. Right? It would be neat if scrolling through OSD fields could be done with the remote without leaving Exclusive. 

Just to be clear, I am not asking about what should happen when using the mouse, only the Media Center remote.

RD James

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 12:36:08 pm »

This cannot be changed. Use the remote-control type OSD with the arrow keys for control without leaving exclusive mode, but admittedly its not designed for mouse interaction, but remote control usage.
What about an option to disable the mouse OSD?
That would help prevent accidentally leaving exclusive mode.

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 12:59:25 pm »

Yeah, but as stated above, this also happens when scrolling through using the remote arrow buttons.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 02:11:07 pm »

What brand is your graphics card chip - Nvidia, AMD or Intel ?

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 02:47:10 pm »

Nvidia (670 Ti, model number from memory)

kstuart

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 01:27:23 am »

IIRC, Nvidia can use "windowed overlay" on Win 7 or above, which, IIRC, has the advantages of exclusive mode, but does not need to go out to use mouse, etc.

Do a search of this Forum for "madVR" in Subject lines, and that should give you the link for the doom9 Forum thread for madVR.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 02:46:58 am »

+1, use Windows Overlay instead of Exclusive Mode. 
JRiver CEO Elect

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 07:50:09 am »

Good, thanks for the advise. I thought about it, but I'm not sure if this gives any disadvantages? Judder, frame rate accuracy or other?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 01:50:21 pm »

As kstuart said, all the benefits without the downside the jarring switch between Windowed and Exclusive mode when using the MC Menu.  I've been using it on my 660Ti for years as the default.  You should be fine on the 670Ti but give it a go.
JRiver CEO Elect

RD James

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 05:02:49 pm »

Performance is lower, you can't enable 10-bit output, JRiver's transparency effects don't work, and you can't take screenshots in overlay mode. 3D isn't working for me either.
An option to disable the JRiver OSD and enable the madVR OSD so that we can use the mouse without breaking exclusive mode would be good.
A new OSD which works with the mouse (or touch) and doesn't break exclusive mode would be better.

aproc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 11:08:47 pm »

An option to disable the JRiver OSD and enable the madVR OSD so that we can use the mouse without breaking exclusive mode would be good.
A new OSD which works with the mouse (or touch) and doesn't break exclusive mode would be better.
+1, I made this suggestion earlier too:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100799.0.

I think it should be easy to offer the option to enable madVR OSD.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 02:32:45 am »

As kstuart said, all the benefits without the downside the jarring switch between Windowed and Exclusive mode when using the MC Menu.  I've been using it on my 660Ti for years as the default.  You should be fine on the 670Ti but give it a go.

I'll test thoroughly it at first opportunity. Initial test just playing to a pc monitor seemed to work just fine, though. Just checked the hardware, and discovered my video card is also a 660Ti. Never able to remember that detail.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 02:39:51 am »

Performance is lower, you can't enable 10-bit output, JRiver's transparency effects don't work, and you can't take screenshots in overlay mode. 3D isn't working for me either.

Not sure what you mean by 10-bit output. I thought madVR used 10-bit processing (e.g. chroma upscaling), while the output to my projector would be 8-bit? The other downsides are not that important to me, personally.

Hendrik stated above that mouse actions are not possible in exclusive mode. But my understanding is that scrolling and operating OSD by remote control should work, but doesn't in my rig. This is based on my experience that volume up/down works in exclusive. Whether or not this is the case is so far left unanswered in this thread.

RD James

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 06:13:41 am »

Not sure what you mean by 10-bit output. I thought madVR used 10-bit processing (e.g. chroma upscaling), while the output to my projector would be 8-bit? The other downsides are not that important to me, personally.
madVR processing is 16-bit by default.
With the D3D11 mode that was added last year, it now supports 10-bit over HDMI, but this can only be done with exclusive mode.

Hendrik stated above that mouse actions are not possible in exclusive mode. But my understanding is that scrolling and operating OSD by remote control should work, but doesn't in my rig. This is based on my experience that volume up/down works in exclusive. Whether or not this is the case is so far left unanswered in this thread.
Mouse actions are possible, just not with the JRiver OSD.
madVR has its own seek bar that works in exclusive mode, which JRiver is replacing with its own OSD that does not.
Other players have OSDs which work in exclusive mode all the time.

The remote OSD in JRiver should not break exclusive mode though.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 06:16:01 am »

The remote OSD in JRiver should not break exclusive mode though.

That was what I thought also. But it does, and was the reason I started this thread.

kstuart

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 11:30:40 am »

That was what I thought also. But it does, and was the reason I started this thread.
Then you should "bump" the Request thread linked above by aproc (for convenience, it is:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100799.0

to bring it back into the attention of the Devs and indicate more support for the feature.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 01:45:07 am »

Just did, thanks for the tip.
Pages: [1]   Go Up