INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Library Manager Direct versus Minim  (Read 5790 times)

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
JRiver Library Manager Direct versus Minim
« on: January 24, 2016, 07:01:50 am »

I run 2 identical copies of my music library: 1. on a USB connected WD external drive and 2. Ethernet connected QNAP. The key issue is that JRiver fails to recognize a large number of tracks on the QNAP.

Some statistics

A. Music imported from WD external USB drive by a JRiver new library. JRiver lists:
Files 31165
Albums 1764
Artists 504

B. If I make a JRiver library and import the music from the QNAP directly, the following:
Files 27176
Albums 1638
Artists 474

C. If I use JRiver with Minim server running on the QNAP, the following:
Files 31160
Albums 1766
Artists 637

The differences between A and C are acceptable (Minim has a slightly different interpretation of artists). The differences between A and B or B and C are unacceptable and my only conclusion is that JRiver - for unclear reasons - fails to function as a DLNA server on a QNAP. Any clues?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver Library Manager Direct versus Minim
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 07:55:04 am »

Are you just using the QNAP as a file server?  MC can import its files, but you might need to look at your options for Auto Import.

More on NAS drives:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/NAS

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 09:42:03 am »

It makes no sense to use JRiver to talk to a DLNA server on a NAS device.  If you use the QNAP as a file server to serve the files directly to MC, it will pick all of them up correctly.

Brian.

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 01:31:24 am »

Thx so far. First, I completely missed the available of a MC Linux version for the QNAP. But I found I am unlucky, as I own the HS 210 and MC does not run on this version. Is this because the HS210 is not powerful enough?

So far, my QNAP is just a file server and MC runs on my MAC. I can only explain MAC-MC's behaviour on the NAS as a result of "NAS Read' issues. I have used manual import function only.

My main issue remains unsolved, but the Linux version may an even better solution but for that I need to buy a newer QNAP!?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 12:57:15 am »

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 05:07:05 am »

Split DSD and DLNA
;) ok but you cut my post out of this one (I edited it out of the split post)

here is what is "salient" to the OP

I would drop the differences of number of albums and artists, first. As the OP already mentioned, there are going to be differences depending on tagging, View set-up etc.

The number of files should, however be identical so stick to that for the moment.

if you were running Windows I'd bet it has something to do with the filepath being too long (total number of characters filename+path); often using UNC paths to NAS could bring you over the top of that limit, causing problems with playback or the files simply do not get imported.

The difference between a lettered USB drive and a 15 character NAS file path could explain this. I do not know why there is a difference of 5 files between "A" and "C", but could be iso or cue files that are not being imported via the Minim server or something like that.

However, I don't run macs often using JRiver so I don't know what or if there is a length limitation for MACos (or if JRiver imposes the WIndows one either for that matter, possible)

I'd still try and find say 5-10 files that aren't being imported from your "B" scenario and post the complete paths here. Classical music often has very long filenames anyways, if you have a bunch might want to look there first.

Quote from: Paul Renaud
Thx so far. First, I completely missed the available of a MC Linux version for the QNAP. But I found I am unlucky, as I own the HS 210 and MC does not run on this version. Is this because the HS210 is not powerful enough?

So far, my QNAP is just a file server and MC runs on my MAC. I can only explain MAC-MC's behaviour on the NAS as a result of "NAS Read' issues. I have used manual import function only.

My main issue remains unsolved, but the Linux version may an even better solution but for that I need to buy a newer QNAP!?
QNAP hasn't made this available on all their models ... don't think it is a "power issue" really ... have to get on to them. Maybe you can upgrade your machine, not sure.  However, as Brian inferred too above, if you have one computer and a NAS already, don't bother - use the PC or Mac as the controller/media server (and preferably as renderer too in most cases) and the NAS as just file server/big external drive.  The Qnap NAS installation could be interesting if you had multiple clients, not all of which would need to be turned on at the same time. A mac or pc is going to perform much better than a NAS, especially as a controller and renderer (certainly power over price, much cheaper). External access to you network might be cool using the MC Library install on the Qnap tho.
Pages: [1]   Go Up