INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clean up cover art folder  (Read 15560 times)

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Clean up cover art folder
« on: January 28, 2016, 09:16:50 am »

I did a "Clean up cover art folder" but nothing happened? Verified in File Location. All cover art is still sitting there in the folder(s). Can I manually delete the contents?
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 04:55:33 pm »

Did you read what Cleaning the Cover Art Folder actually does? See http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art#Cleaning_the_Cover_Art_Folder

It doesn't delete all the Cover Art images. It cleans up the Cover Art links, image locations, etc.

Win7 64 machine, recordings on local hard disk. No third party firewall/anitvirus, only MS Security Essentials.

Windows Firewall could block access to the sites Cover Art is gathered from, or ask for confirmation a site is okay, or similar. Or MS Security Essentials could block the MC component that tries to gather the Cover Art, if it is one of the background Workers. If the Worker gets killed because it looks suspicious, that could cause a crash.

Since manual lookups work, that may be unlikely. But sometimes a manual task done by a user is allowed, while an automated task done by software, particularly software running in the background with no User Interface, can be seen as potentially malicious, and hence be blocked. Certainly I have had the heuristics in Norton 360 block stuff, and even quarantine or delete it, because it has a profile that looks suspicious.

Check all firewall and MS SE logs for anything at that time.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 05:57:26 pm »

...It doesn't delete all the Cover Art images...

Will this work:
- manually delete all cover art using windows explorer
- delete Auto Import tv folder
- add Auto Import tv folder back in
- watch what happens as MC does import and auto lookup

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 06:45:46 pm »

Very probably not.

Now that you have done the Cover Art Clean-up, you should not need to delete all Cover Art to fix the problem.

But as you have downloaded your own Cover Art for some programs (I think you have anyway, from memory, I could be confused) there is a small chance that one of the files is corrupt and causing the crash. Use MC to display all the Cover Art you still have, and see if any won't display. As Cover Art isn't imported in MC as Images (you wouldn't want them to be), use Windows Explorer to navigate to the Cover Art directories, select all images in each directory, and right click on the first image and select "Play in Media Center" and then skip through the images using the right arrow key. That should be quickest. You may need to make sure MC doesn't skip a file it can't play by counting the files and how many are displayed. One way to do this would be to use Ctrl-6 to detach the Display once the first file is playing, and the have Windows Explorer open next to the MC Display windows, so you can see each window and correlate what is displayed.

MC doesn't care about what was in the old import folder, and that you created a new version. It keeps track of what it has imported in its database. Deleting the "Auto-Import TV folder" ( I assume you mean the TV Recording folder) won't do anything at all.

Check Firewall and MSE logs. Since you have done a Cover Art Clean-up, do nothing to MC until it has run some more recordings and gathered Cover Art. By all means set up additional recordings to test the process, and make sure you don't lose important recordings to tests.

Keep collecting MC logs, and if the problem recurs, share them as Yaobing may find the cause in them.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
Re: Clean up cover art folder
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 09:01:42 pm »

I really wish I knew how to completely reset/delete all the Cover Art and Cover Art settings.

I have been having issues where the cover art does not show up until I run "Import Now". Seems the automatic cover art is not working.

Installed latest version MC, reboot Server, and tested twice:
- Turn on Auto Import tv recordings folder (with Cover art and Info enabled).
- Set 6 recordings for shows that I have never recorded before (no existing/previous cover art).
- Checked Server 30 minutes after the recording had finished and the new recordings are there but NO COVER ART.
- Performed Import Now operation and Cover art shows up.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 05:24:55 pm »

My MC Server is not automatically getting new cover art anymore for new tv show recordings. Manual running Import Now does work. I really wish I knew how to completely reset all the Cover Art and Cover Art settings.

There is no reset for all Cover Art, and no need to do a reset. Just change the settings as required, perhaps back to the defaults as per the Wiki, and either move any Cover Art images to the new location, or collect them all again.

Also it is not really good form to cross-post the same question in two locations, unless your original post has received no attention for some time.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 05:43:40 pm »

Can't find any "back to the defaults" in the Wiki.

Maybe you mean File > Library > Clear Library ? Tried it and nothing changed with getting cover art automatically (still had to run Import Now).

Maybe you mean Uninstall + registry + library ? Only thing I could think.

Just finished a 9 hour full uninstall and re-install of MC and it is now getting cover art without having to run Import Now. But still have the same two series that refuse to show cover art. AND when I re-installed, the Import caused the loss of over 75% of the episode info. Many series episodes were all named the same thing with the same generic information, and time stamps of these recordings were gone. Had to manually re-enter all of the stuff that the Import borked. And a handful of tv shows were imported as movies, which they are NOT and I have tried everything to get them moved from movie to tv show.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 06:02:20 pm »

I wrote the post below while you were posting. Most still applies. You must be really fiddling with the MC installation if a reinstall fixed the Cover Art issue. I can't comment on the naming issues or the loss of data, because you have probably been fiddling with naming as well. If you hadn't done a reinstall, and I assume the recreation of the MC library, you wouldn't have lost data. If you have a backup of your previous library, you could have restored that and got your data back straight away.

To fix the TV Shows that are showing up as movies, just change the [Media Sub Type] to "TV Show". You should know that by now.

Can't find any "back to the defaults" in the Wiki.

Have you screwed up the Cover Art settings so much that you can't just change them back to the defaults, which are mostly documented in the Wiki?

As I said above, there is no reset. Just change the settings back.

Maybe you mean File > Library > Clear Library ?

Did I say anything about clearing the library? Why would you even think of doing that?

Maybe you mean Uninstall + registry + library ?

Okay, now you are just making fun aren't you? I mean, that would be the silliest suggestion yet. You want to fix Cover Art, not start your MC implementation all over again.

Installed latest version MC, reboot Server, and tested twice:
- Turn on Auto Import tv recordings folder (with Cover art and Info enabled).
- Set 6 recordings for shows that I have never recorded before (no existing/previous cover art).
- Checked Server 30 minutes after the recording had finished and the new recordings are there but NO COVER ART.
- Performed Import Now operation and Cover art shows up.

Why do you keep reinstalling stuff? Or are you just upgrading to the latest version? Reinstalling software is rarely the best solution to any problem, although for some issues it is required. But why don't you just get the version you have working, and if it doesn't work then document the issue well enough so that it is repeatable by others, particularly the developers, and then any problem may get fixed.

The above list of steps is a reasonable start. I assume from the steps that you are mainly trying to get Episode level Cover Art working here, and not Series or Season level? Let's just focus on Episode level Cover Art for now.

First things first, Episode level Cover Art is working for other people, including me. Every time, if there is Cover Art available on TheTVDB. The Episode level Cover Art turns up at the same time that MC imports the new episode, and create a Sidecar xml file. The Cover Art is in the form of a JPG file, sitting next to the recording file.

So your step one is fine. You should be getting metadata and Cover Art from TheTVDB.

Second step is fine. Make sure, in advance, that the programs you are recording have data and Cover Art on TheTVDB, just so you know that both should be downloaded.

Third step is not as clear. First, read up on the Auto-Import Wiki article, particularly the Background Scanning section. You will note that MC will only "immediately" import new media if your file system supports "File System Events". If your data is on a NAS, and possibly a network drive of some types, or a software RAID solution, then the file system may not support "File System Events". If that is the case, then MC will find the new media after up to two hours after it is placed into a watched directory. A recording down by MC and saved into a watched directory may still get picked up straight away, but a recording done in some intermediate directory, and moved to a watched directory will have to wait for MC to do a full scan.
However, you are saying that "the new recordings are there", which I assume means that they are visible in MC, and that they have received some metadata from TheTVDB. If that is so, then yes, the Cover Art should have turned up as well. Is there a JPG file next to the recorded media in the same directory, or not? If there is a JPG, but the Episode Cover Art has not been displayed in Theatre View, or in any Standard View that shows the program, then we need to look further into your setup.

While the previous step is the most critical, don't do a manual import until at least two hours have passed since the recording finished, and check inside the directory to see if a JPG is there before doing a manual lookup.

See how you go with the above.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 10:11:37 am »

Thanks for all the info. It does help. I still do not see anywhere in your post or the Wiki on how to "change them back to the defaults"? What does that mean? Where is it?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 04:45:54 pm »

Thanks for all the info. It does help. I still do not see anywhere in your post or the Wiki on how to "change them back to the defaults"? What does that mean? Where is it?

It was you that asked;
I really wish I knew how to completely reset/delete all the Cover Art and Cover Art settings.

I have constantly said, there is no reset, because the settings are so simple. There is no need to ever reset Cover Art settings, that I am aware of. Just change the settings back to what works. There is no method describing how to reset back to defaults. But the default directory, for example, is documented in the Wiki. There are only three settings in Options\File Location\Cover Art, plus one utility, "Clean cover art folder...". Two of those settings are completely self explanatory; Audio Mode and Also store image in tags file. The last setting is the default base directory for Cover Art to be stored in, when it isn't stored next to the media file. Then there is one flag in the Auto-Import settings, defining whether you want to collect Cover Art on import.

There are a couple of other settings in the Options dialogue, which you can find using the search function in Options, but they won't make any difference to whether Cover Art works.

Nothing else, that I'm aware of, effects whether Cover Art works or not, or allows changes to how it works. There are many potential external issues, such as where Cover Art is stored (NAS, network drive, RAID, network connectivity, etc.), but no other settings.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 01:38:52 pm »

...Just finished a 9 hour full uninstall and re-install of MC and it is now getting cover art without having to run Import Now...

It worked for one day of testing some recordings, but since then it isn't getting cover art automatically for new tv recordings. It will get all the episode info like series, name, episode number, etc but no cover art until I right click > cover art > get from internet > the cover art is instantly found online > save. Same with recording movies, no cover art until I perform get movie and tv info and save. Log file from last night's recordings and this morning when I manually assign cover art:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B82GqdDf8HSyNkgzaXBKUmpzbnc/view?usp=sharing

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 03:50:46 am »

Okay, I'm going to support you on this one: Cover Art lookups are not happening at the same time TV recordings are imported into MC.

To be clear though, we need to differentiate the three Different Cover Art types supported for TV recordings. Series and Season Cover Art are collected based on the "Get Cover Art" setting in Auto-Import, or the right click/Cover Art/Get from internet function. Movie and Episode Cover Art are collected via the "Get Movie & TV Info" function, either via the Auto-Import settings or manually.

What I'm seeing:
Yesterday I recorded the first episode of the new X-File series. I didn't have any recordings of that series previously. While the program appeared in MC last night, no Cover Art showed up. Today, I have Series Cover Art, but no episode Cover Art. This is a Series subscription. I haven't done any manual lookups.
Also last night, a new episode of NCIS was recorded. I already had the Series and Season Cover Art for the episode. The show appeared in MC as expected, but no Episode Cover Art has turned up since last night. This is also a Series subscription.
However, on January 19th I recorded an episode of Megafactories for the first time ever, on a one time recording rather than a subscription. When I checked yesterday both the Series and Episode Cover Art was showing for that episode.
But the Dakar Rally, recorded earlier in January (8th to 17th) has the Series Cover Art (the image was probably there from last year) but no Episode Cover Art.

Now sometimes I have been caught out where there was no Cover Art on TheTVDB when I made a recording, or even no record of the program on TheTVDB. But for these programs, except maybe Dakar, that wasn't the case.

Being the slow season for programs I tend to record, I don't have any more definite examples at the moment.

I can't be sure at this stage, as I have been fiddling with stuff, but I think programs from sources other than recordings are getting Cover Art when they are imported. In fact I am almost positive though, as JPG files have been appearing next to the program files I have imported by adding the files to a folder that is watched by Auto-Import.

All my settings are correct for getting Cover Art for all TV recordings. There are so few settings that not much can be done wrong, which was what I was saying above.

My firewall is set to allow all the JRiver executables. I haven't excluded all my media file locations, because that has not been necessary in the past. It is possible that an update of Norton 360 has changed something. I will have to look further into that. All my recordings are stored on a local disk, so there is no NAS or network connection involved.

So, can anyone else confirm that Cover Art for new TV recordings specifically are not being collected when the recording is imported, and for Episodes, it looks like not at all?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 04:39:45 am »

I did just find that "JRWorker.exe" was not specifically mentioned in my Norton 360 firewall on my MC Server, even though it is on my MC Client. Also, "JRWeb.exe" and "Media Center 21.exe" were set to "Auto" in the firewall instead of "Allow". Probably an oversight on my part.

So I have now set all three to "Allow" in the firewall, as they should be, and set up two new series subscriptions and one once off recording, again for a series I never record. I shall see tomorrow if they get Cover Art.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 09:18:15 am »

As we are looking into this issue, maybe we can look into how or why-

"New" cover art that is showing on the server does not get updated on clients until you close MC and restart MC on the client. The recorded shows are showing up on the client, the cover art should also auto-populate on the client. Having to restart MC on the client just to get new cover art is not easy when you don't have a mouse/keyboard on the client (I have yet to figure out how to make a remote button to open/restart MC).

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 09:55:27 am »

We are not talking about MC watching and auto-importing your TV recordings folder, are we?  I suppose we are talking about MC importing metadata right after it finishes recording a show.  If this is the case, no on-line lookup is done.

I am looking into whether we can do an online lookup.  One thing that bothers me is that the lookup is not always accurate.  For example, I recorded an episode of "Married with Children" last night.  This morning I ran Get Movie & TV Info manually on it.  While it did get me a cover art, it also got all the wrong info such as episode name, description.

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 11:31:31 am »

We are not talking about MC watching and auto-importing your TV recordings folder, are we?  I suppose we are talking about MC importing metadata right after it finishes recording a show.  If this is the case, no on-line lookup is done.

I am looking into whether we can do an online lookup....

My auto import is set to watch the folder where MC records new shows. Isn't the "auto-import + select additional tasks to be performed + get movie and tv info" supposed to be doing lookup for new tv recordings??

It seems like it is/was doing look ups because:
- Immediately after doing my 8 hour COMPLETE CLEAN re-install of MC, I set up several new short recordings. They ALL got new cover art BEFORE the shows finished recording! I repeated the test one more time it worked... Then some time after that, it stopped working.

Also:
- In my other topic (the one that this one got split off from), it was determined from a log file that the reason why my Server had crashed while recording several shows, was because it was doing cover art look ups. I was not doing manual look ups when the crash happened, I was watching live tv:

The log and the crash dump indicate that the crash occurred when MC was getting cover arts for recorded shows.  I can not tell why it would crash like that, and am not sure what relation there is to your tuners.   :(

CountryBumkin

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 12:11:42 pm »

I am looking into whether we can do an online lookup.  One thing that bothers me is that the lookup is not always accurate.  For example, I recorded an episode of "Married with Children" last night.  This morning I ran Get Movie & TV Info manually on it.  While it did get me a cover art, it also got all the wrong info such as episode name, description.

Incorrect EPG data is common for the series NOVA. For some reason the EPG source will have the correct "name", "season" and "description" but the Episode number is wrong. So if I do the "Get Move & TV Info" it will want to overwrite all the correct data that came from EPG source with the data from theTVdb.com.  -- which is Yaboing's concern above --

However since 95% of the time the EPG data and theTVdb match each other, I would rather have the process automated and just deal with the mistakes as they come up.

Even  better would be if look was done automatically but there was a "tag" that would indicate whenever any "existing EPG tag" was overwritten by the "Get Movie & TV Info" tool. Or perhaps the color of the text is red when the data was overwritten. Then I could just look at Standard View>Video>Files for the Tag "overwritten data" (or red text) and check whether the overwrite was correct or not. But that's probably not an easy code to write.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 05:11:28 pm »

First, apologies for the long post, which is a little out of logical sequence as I massaged the message. I'm sure the content will be understood though.  ;)

Okay, the three new series that I recorded last night had records and Cover Art on TheTVDB, because I checked before selecting them. All of them were single episodes with Season and Episode numbers. They all received Series Cover Art without my intervention, but no Season Cover Art. I'm assuming that could be because MC doesn't show the Season level in the Theatre View display until there are Episodes from at least two Seasons first. Some smart programmer decided to only download Season Cover Art when it was needed for display?

Anyway, none of the Episodes received any Cover Art.

So I ran Auto-Import on the MC Server. . . and it did not collect Episode Cover Art for the three programs, even though I have all checkboxes ticked in the Auto-Import configuration! If even Auto-Import won't get the Episode Cover Art, what is the point of having the "Get Movie & TV Info" setting in the configuration? Something looks broken. 

BTW, I checked if the Cover Art was there on my MC Client, which I had to start to check, since it had been shutdown. The Cover Art showed in Theatre View immediately. However on my MC Server, which had been asleep, the new Cover Art did not show in the Theatre View views, even if I moved around to different views and back. The art only showed when I did something that forced a refresh of the view, in my case, I played one of the programs for a short time. When I stopped playback, the Cover Art showed in the views. Really, Cover Art collected should show in the Theatre View views immediately, without the need to force a refresh. That isn't the point of this discussion, but it contributes to the angst Cover Art creates.

Now, I hear what you are saying Yaobing, when you say;
We are not talking about MC watching and auto-importing your TV recordings folder, are we?  I suppose we are talking about MC importing metadata right after it finishes recording a show.  If this is the case, no on-line lookup is done.
but I am pretty sure that I haven't always looked up Episode Cover Art manually. However I have run the "Get Movie & TV Info" on a lot of programs as my EPG data hasn't been brilliant, so I haven't noticed Episode Cover Art wasn't being collected.

But what about my Megafactories example above? I just flagged that to record when I saw it in the Guide, and then forgot about it. I certainly didn't run the "Get Movie & TV Info" function on it. Yet it has the correct, first Series Cover Art poster from TheTVDB, and the correct Episode Cover Art. Something has collected that Cover Art, and I suspect it was Auto-Import. While the Cover Art is correct, the EPG metadata has not been overwritten. The program description in MC does not match TheTVDB description, and MC has actors listed that are not listed on TheTVDB. This information could only have come from the EPG data, and it has been preserved while Cover Art has still been collected.

So, while you are right to be converned about this, as I would be;
I am looking into whether we can do an online lookup.  One thing that bothers me is that the lookup is not always accurate.  For example, I recorded an episode of "Married with Children" last night.  This morning I ran Get Movie & TV Info manually on it.  While it did get me a cover art, it also got all the wrong info such as episode name, description.
it has always been my expectation that Cover Art, and other additional data from TheTVDB would be collected by Auto-Import, but no existing tags would be overwritten. My understanding, and past observation, was that metadata was only overwritten when the "Get Movie & TV Info" function was run manually, and the "Allow overwrite of existing values" checkbox was ticked.

In fact, I am pretty sure that I had this discussion a long time ago, and that was the answer. When Auto-Import does its lookup on TheTVDB, it never overwrote the existing data. However, if "Get Movie & TV Info" was run manually, whether for one program or several, it would always overwrite the existing data. There is even a checkbox on the dialogue that pops up when you run "Get Movie & TV Info" for more than one program, asking the question "Allow overwrite of existing values". There are even checkboxes to define whether Information should be gathered, or an image, or both. If Auto-Import just ran the "Get Movie & TV Info" function to collect an Episode image, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Auto-Import Tasks

So, I am confused that you say no on-line lookup is done.

Finally, I did a manual "Get Movie & TV Info" for all three programs at once, deselected "Get Information" and "Allow overwrite of existing values", left the "Get image" checkbox ticked, and MC collected just the Episode Cover Art as expected.

I suspect that what is happening is that MC creates a record in its database as soon as a new recording starts. Then at some time later, Auto-Import detects the new recording, and run its processes. Those process include the "Get Cover Art from Internet", which works, proving that Auto-Import detects the new recording. But they also include, based on my Auto-Import settings, the "Get Movie & TV Info" function, which is no longer working for some reason. It has been broken at some time.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 06:02:37 pm »

Right now I am just concerned about Series cover art in Theater View. That is- when I record a new show, I expect to be able to go to the Server and Clients and see Series cover art for that new show in Theater View, even if a Client machine was just awakened from sleep.

Currently every time I record a new show, I have to go to the Server, grab a mouse, drop into standard view, manually get cover art, go back into Theater View... Then go around to every client, wake it from sleep, grab a mouse, shut down MC, restart MC, go back into Theater View, put back to sleep.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 06:33:07 pm »

Right now I am just concerned about Series cover art in Theater View.

Well as above, I am getting Series Cover Art without intervention.

Have you checked whether the Cover Art images are actually being downloaded and saved into the correct directory? Because if they are, your issue may be as per the fifth paragraph in my last post. i.e. The Cover Art is there, but Theatre View hasn't refreshed the view. Have you tried just restarting the MC Clients to see if the Cover Art shows up? Because that is all I did on my Client. I didn't need to get the Cover Art on the server, as it had already done that. It just didn't display it until the view was refreshed.

Also, you are deleting each episode after you watch it aren't you? If you left at least one episode in place at all times for each series, and ensured that you got the Series Cover Art of all programs you are subscribed to via recording rules, then you shouldn't see that problem. The Series Cover Art should stay in place. Actually, the Series Cover Art image file should stay in place on your hard drive and be found the next time it is required, regardless of whether one episode is retained, unless you have run the Clean up Cover Art function.

I think we discussed doing a MC Client restart on waking previously. If you did that, the Cover Art should show up every time you wake a Client PC.

But, now that you have raised all this, I am concerned that Episode Cover Art isn't being downloaded for recorded TV when it should be, as that seems to be a negative change in functionality.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 07:25:52 pm »

Yes Series cover art is saving to the hard drive and stays in place if I watch then delete. And if record same show again later, it shows up fine automatically.

Here is what happens:
-record new show.
-wake up sleeping bedroom Client, go to Theater View Series, new show is there but no cover art. Put Client to sleep.
-open laptop Client, START MC in Standard View Series, new show is there but no cover art. Close MC.
-look at "always on" Server, go to Theater View Series, new show is there but no cover art. Use mouse to drop into Standard View, still no cover art for Series. Right click the Series, get cover art from internet and save. Go back to Theater View Series and cover art is there.
-back to the laptop Client, START MC in Standard View Series, cover art is there.
-wake up sleeping bedroom Client again, go to Theater View Series, still no cover art. Get mouse, close MC, restart MC, and cover art is there.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 08:08:50 pm »

But when you say "new show is there but no cover art", do you also check in the Cover Art\Series directory to see if the image file has been downloaded?

You seem to be just checking using MC functionality. I would look in the directory using Windows Explorer to confirm that the image file is definitely not there. If the program has shown up in MC, but the file has not been downloaded, then you definitely have an issue, as it means Auto-Import has run, but the Get Cover Art function has not.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 11:12:47 pm »

No the cover art is not actually in the cover art folder when I look using windows explorer (until I do the manual get from process). I guess the series info, episode number, etc that I am seeing is just coming from the guide.

I'm just so baffled why the test recordings I performed right after the MC re-install did automatically get cover art.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 11:34:13 pm »

No the cover art is not actually in the cover art folder when I look using windows explorer (until I do the manual get from process). I guess the series info, episode number, etc that I am seeing is just coming from the guide.

Yep, that's what I thought. The "Get Movie & TV Info" function isn't being run at all, as Yaobing said. I'm sure it used to be run to at least get the Episode art though. Thanks for confirming that the Series Cover Art isn't in the directory. It was for my stuff last night, so I'll keep an eye on it. But it seems that there is something different between your installation and mine. It could be just settings though.

I'm just so baffled why the test recordings I performed right after the MC re-install did automatically get cover art.

Because something is broken, I would suggest. A brand new installation wouldn't have records in the database of what had been looked up before, while second time around the library would. It could be as simple as that. But only Yaobing or one of the other devs could shed light on it.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 08:32:24 am »

Strange how Yaobing looked at a crash log and said "the crash occurred when MC was getting cover arts for recorded shows". I was recording several shows and watching live tv, not anywhere near the mouse doing cover art gets. So I don't know what's going on  ?

Arindelle

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 08:44:59 am »

Strange how Yaobing looked at a crash log and said "the crash occurred when MC was getting cover arts for recorded shows". I was recording several shows and watching live tv, not anywhere near the mouse doing cover art gets. So I don't know what's going on  ?
probably have it set to get art when importing... check your autoimport settings.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 11:23:53 am »

Verified using my own logs that no cover art lookup occurs on new recordings:
-set a few recordings for shows never been recorded.
-reset MC log file.
-after recordings finished, examined log file.
-manually performed get cover art from internet, examined log file.

Proof that no cover art look up is done until manually performed. These log entries only appear in the second log (after manual cover art look up):

Code: [Select]
        1667923 4745579: 2364: Reader: CWinINetReader::Open: Opening http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=SpongeBob%20SquarePants&language=all
1669808 4746454: 2364: Reader: CWinINetReader::Open: Opening http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=SpongeBob%20SquarePants&language=all
1696794 4761016: 1772: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Filename: C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Cover Art\Series\SpongeBob SquarePants.jpg
1710763 4767938: 4576: Database: Thumbnail Thread (C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Cover Art\Series\SpongeBob SquarePants.jpg): Start
1710765 4767938: 4576: General: CThumbnailCacheInfo::CreateThumbnail: Filename: C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Cover Art\Series\SpongeBob SquarePants.jpg
1710771 4767938: 4576: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Filename: C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Cover Art\Series\SpongeBob SquarePants.jpg
1710937 4768000: 4576: Database: Thumbnail Thread (C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Cover Art\Series\SpongeBob SquarePants.jpg): Finish (62 ms)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 01:42:25 pm »

Yes, that was during auto import I believe.  The crash dump indicated that it happened while processing cover art retrieval.  Other than that, I understand very little about that particular crash.  It baffled everyone on the team too.  Some crashes are simply hard to figure out.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2016, 09:21:39 am »

Still stumped on a few cover art issues:

- The cover art for one tv series on the Server is correct, meanwhile all the clients are showing a completely different cover art for this series. How is it possible that three different clients are showing the same (wrong) cover art?

- Copied an mkv movie into the same folder that all my tv shows/movies are put into. MC did not "see" it, so I dragged and dropped it into "Movies". Then I put a year and title, right clicked and selected "Get Movie and Tv Info", applied information and image. The cover art is NOT showing in standard view or theater view, on server or clients. But take a look at this screen cap when I do a tag and click on the (blank) image in the tag... and even when I hover over the (blank) image:

See how the cover art is actually there when I hover or do a tag and click on the image!

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 09:48:31 am »

The movie that I added, suddenly started showing the cover art! Have no idea why or how but it is showing on the server and the clients now.

And, another tv show that I created my own cover art for, which was working on server and clients, suddenly changed to something else all by itself!

Double strange  ?

blgentry

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2016, 10:34:06 am »

You've got something strange going on.  2 posts above you said you added a movie to your watched folder and MC didn't pick it up.  So you did some sort of drag and drop to force it.  That by itself indicates that something is amiss.  It might be that you aren't sure what folders, on what computers, are being monitored.  It might be that auto import isn't working on some drives (NAS for example).  It might be something else.  You should definitely try to track down why basic stuff isn't working first (adding files to monitored locations).  That might provide the answer to some of your other issues.

Brian.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2016, 03:35:36 pm »

...It might be that you aren't sure what folders, on what computers, are being monitored.  It might be that auto import isn't working on some drives (NAS for example)...

One folder only. Local SATA hard drive installed in the Server machine. I did not want to wait after copying the movie into the folder, so I just did a drag-n-drop. MC picks up newly recorded shows "in time", so not worried about that aspect.

The cover art issue is a continual fight. If it's not one show it's another, at any point in time.

blgentry

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2016, 03:53:48 pm »

One folder only. Local SATA hard drive installed in the Server machine. I did not want to wait after copying the movie into the folder, so I just did a drag-n-drop. MC picks up newly recorded shows "in time", so not worried about that aspect.

I'm confused.  You made a point of saying that MC didn't pick it up.  On my system it takes roughly 20 seconds from adding a file, until MC sees it and another 10 to 15 until it's done looking up metadata.  Does yours take longer?  Why would you force it?  Why wouldn't you just run auto import now?  I still think you must have something else going on.

Brian.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2016, 05:20:26 pm »

All I did was describe the steps I used to get this movie into MC and get the cover art. The point was that even after MC got the info/cover art for this movie, it failed to show up properly in standard view and theater view.

I have no idea what else could be going on. At this point I just have to perform these things manually. Even after a completely clean re-install of MC, automatic cover art lookup still does not work. MC sees the show instantly, but it will not automatically get the cover art even if I let it sit for hours (overnight). Yes, I have auto import turned on. Yes, I have the option to lookup info/cover art turned on.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2016, 09:23:48 am »

Clean OS install of Win10 on Server, then restored MC library, yet still have minor tv series cover art issues (one or two at any given time):

- cover art for a given series might be good on the Server but the same series on the Clients is wrong/different.

- cover art for a new series (never been recorded) does not get assigned automatically (even if I wait for hours/overnight). I have to right click > cover art > get from internet > it shows up fine in the lookup > select and save.

- some series lookup the completely wrong cover art (have to download the correct image from tvdb, save to local folder, assign from file). Eg: the tv series "Castle" on ABC (all it finds is some old documentary); the tv series "The Flash" on CW (all it finds is some other show/movie).

Pages: [1]   Go Up