INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluray slowly drifts out of sync  (Read 5825 times)

Ambler1980

• Recent member
Bluray slowly drifts out of sync
« on: February 02, 2016, 05:20:06 pm »

I have the latest JRiver, pretty fast laptop, and am having trouble playing The Adjustment Bureau bluray.  It played fine for the first half hour or so, but then suddenly video would kind of start stuttering, and lose sync with the audio (the audio was not affected).  After pausing it for a few seconds, it catches up and plays fine for another few minutes, but then the same problem happens.  This also happened with Sphere and to a much worse extent, John Wick.  Django Unchained seemed to play fine.

I have Red October HQ.  I know switching to standard might help, but the picture quality suffers too much, so I'd rather not do that.  I am using ASIO with my 24/96 DAC headphone amp.  I tried switching video clock and hardware acceleration on and off, but no change.

EDIT:  Tried turning on "smooth motion" in madvr settings, and it seemed to fix the problem (though gave the image a weird look I didn't care for) for about 10 minutes, but then suddenly the video froze and went dark.  I had to hit stop and restart it.  Obviously not something I wanna keep doing.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Bluray slowly drifts out of sync
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 05:29:44 pm »

Are you playing from a local drive?

Antivirus?

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 05:52:42 pm »

Are you playing from a local drive?

Antivirus?

Not sure what local drive means, but it's the bluray drive in my laptop.

I do have an anti virus program running, yes.

Turned off smooth motion in madvr, and it stopped crashing, so judder problem returns.  Then tried changing refresh rate in JRiver to 24hz when playing blurays.  That made it crash on playback (or the bluray stopped working or whatever), so turned it off. 

Interestingly enough it only seems to judder when in full screen mode.  When in windowed mode, it seems fine.  But I have a big screen TV and want to use the whole screen.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 05:54:36 pm »

It's possible the antivirus is causing problems. 

Try Red October Standard to see what happens.

Try Red October HQ with no changes.

What is the version of MC that you're using?

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 05:57:25 pm »

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 06:03:01 pm »

It's not possible for me to quit my antivirus (norton 360), all I can do is disable auto protect.

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 06:13:07 pm »

It's possible the antivirus is causing problems. 

Try Red October Standard to see what happens.

Try Red October HQ with no changes.

What is the version of MC that you're using?

The only thing that seemed to work is using Red October Standard, but the picture quality is noticeably worse, so that's not an option for me.  But other high rez video files seem to work fine, it's just bluray discs that seem to give me a problem.  Could it be the dvd decrypter I'm using, (dvdfab)?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 06:25:18 pm »

I don't know.  Could you run the benchmark feature in MC's Help menu and post the results here?

Is it Win10?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 06:26:30 pm »

It's not possible for me to quit my antivirus (norton 360), all I can do is disable auto protect.
Antivirus programs cause a lot of problems, so don't rule it out yet.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 06:27:58 pm »

21.0.42 is at the top of this board.  It's worth trying.

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 09:04:16 pm »

OKay so I found out a couple things.  

I had "exclusive mode" turned off in madvr.  When I turned that back on, the problem got fixed.  But only with Jumper.  Adjustment Bureau still juddered.  But I think I've figured out why... the same thing happened with John Wick, and those two blurays have something in common.  They're both special "rental" discs that netflix and redbox use instead of the standard retail discs.  These rental discs seemed to be altered in some way, so JRiver or my bluray drive is not reading them properly... I even used two different decrypters, and it didn't matter.  Jumper, Sphere and Django are retail discs and don't have this problem... it is only these stupid "rental" discs from netflix.  These titles seem to be completely random, so I never know which one I'll get.... sucks.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 11:31:56 am »

Could be that the disk is damaged. Send it back to Netflix and tell them the disk is scratched and have them send a free replacement. Then you'll know if it is the disk or something else.

You could also try playing it with Windows Performance Monitor window open to see how high CPU and Memory loads are.

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 01:02:04 pm »

I doubt it's damaged.  There were no scratches, and the evidence is that John Wick had the same problem, and it's also a rental disc.  That's the commonality. 

Trumpetguy

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 07:26:07 am »

Bluray movies have very different bitrates. I have seen from 20 to >40Mbps. Is it possible you maxed out on what your computer can manage for those two movies? The symptom is certainly exactly the same as for my previous htpc, where at a certain point, movies with very high bitrates landed in my mailbox and I got in trouble. A/V drifted out of sync even on playback from hd.

Jim suggested you run a benchmark, and I think that's a good idea.

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 02:57:11 pm »

I sent the blurays back, but I'll run a benchmark when I get the next batch if they start acting up.

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 09:21:15 pm »

So I got Crimson Tide and The Day After Tomorrow blurays from netflix today.  They were the retail versions, not the special "rental" discs.  And they play absolutely flawlessly.

So far the only problems I've had have been with these special "rental" discs, so those must be compromised in some way so that my bluray drive isn't reading them properly.  Some of these "rental" discs even have stripped soundtracks, removing DTS-HD/TrueHD/Uncompressed PCM in favor of lower bitrate DTS core or Dolby Digital 5.1. 

I will just have to hope I don't get these discs in the future.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 05:08:07 am »

I doubt it's damaged.  There were no scratches, and the evidence is that John Wick had the same problem, and it's also a rental disc.  That's the commonality. 

Sometimes the damage is not east to see.
I had a new disk, it would not rip (tried two different ripping programs). On the Slysoft forum they said it had to be the disk. Even though I didn't believe it could be (it was brand new) I sent it back to Amazon for replacement. The new disk arrived a few days later and it ripped without problems. So there can be a problem with a new disk (manufacturing defect?) that can't be seen, therefore I wouldn't dismiss a problem with a rental disk too fast.
I would suggest you get another copy and try again. Good luck.

Ambler1980

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 11:46:25 am »

That would make sense if it was just one rental disc giving me problems, but two is too much of a coincidence for it to be a random technical glitch with the disc.  Especially since retail discs give me no problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up