INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Group By -- Feature Request  (Read 1501 times)

wburkett

• World Citizen
Group By -- Feature Request
« on: February 04, 2016, 10:42:57 am »

For Audio:  Add a "Group By" option for standard playlists (like there is for Smartlists)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 10:46:04 am »

For Audio:  Add a "Group By" option for standard playlists (like there is for Smartlists)

We don't show the Group By option when we're showing an ordered list (and playlists are ordered).

Grouping by a field would break the ordering, and that seems like a problem.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 10:58:34 am »

In the context of using or ordering a list, that doesn't make a lot of sense.  But I think I know why you want it:  So you can easily look through a list and figure out which albums you have in that list, in a visual way that's easy to see.  Standard playlist view can be sorted, but there aren't any good visual cues to show you where albums stop and start.  Which is what group by Album does.

There's a good answer that's already built in though:  Make a view that shows playlists.  Then you can select a playlist in that view and use any group-by and/or sorting options you want.  Bonus:  You get to see Artists and Albums listed up top when using a Panes view, so it becomes even easier to review your playlists.  A picture is worth 1000 words, so see the attached image for what this looks like in practice.

Brian.

wburkett

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 11:03:34 am »

Matt, Brian -

I understand your response - it makes sense.  However I have something weird going on that I can't correct.  My ordered playlist always reverts to "Group By" album and "order by" album -- see screenshots in http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102990.0

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up