INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo: larger volume increments?  (Read 4171 times)

milknkukis

• World Citizen
  • Crumbs!
Gizmo: larger volume increments?
« on: March 15, 2016, 11:56:23 am »

My DLNA device (see Jongo thread) is quite slow to respond to each command so adjusting volume 1% at a time can be quite tedious.

Can Gizmo be changed to make this easier? Maybe a MC style volume slider bar? Or have an option to use larger increments (5%, 10%?) or buttons for pre-defined levels such as 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%.

regards
Mark

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Gizmo: larger volume increments?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 12:10:11 pm »

WebGizmo has something like that (buttons for volume), but have you tried 21.0.58?  Some changes were made for Jongo.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103792.0

milknkukis

• World Citizen
  • Crumbs!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 11:03:30 am »

Hi Jim
I hadn't used WebGizmo before, the slider bar in there works well, any chance of adding it to Gizmo too?

(It was me who was bugging Bob about the Jongo so I was keenly waiting for the changes to appear in MC!)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 11:06:56 am »

I think the problem may be on the Jongo side.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 11:12:46 am »

EOS has 5% or 10% (selectable).  Plus it has sliders for volume.  EOS is a really nice presentation and well worth the (very small) price in my opinion.  You can try the demo for free;

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lenworthrose.eos.trial&hl=en

Brian.

milknkukis

• World Citizen
  • Crumbs!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 12:16:38 pm »

I think the problem may be on the Jongo side.
The slow response is definitely due to the Jongo, but do you not think the Gizmo interface would be better with a slider? Even with the instant response I get from MC on the main server I'm still hammering away on the volume down button to get from 70% down to 10% with it only moving 1% at a time (regular occurrence for me).

milknkukis

• World Citizen
  • Crumbs!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 12:21:30 pm »

EOS has 5% or 10% (selectable).  Plus it has sliders for volume.  EOS is a really nice presentation and well worth the (very small) price in my opinion. 

Thanks Brian, I'll give that a try if I can make some progress with these DLNA players, at the moment they seem mostly incompatible with the way MC wants to work.

I've just seen there is also JRemote? How does this compare to Gizmo? I'm confused why there are now 2 apps, I've obviously missed something in the years I've been away.

cheers
Mark

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 02:13:12 pm »

I've just seen there is also JRemote? How does this compare to Gizmo? I'm confused why there are now 2 apps, I've obviously missed something in the years I've been away.

The various smartphone based "remotes" all speak the same protocol to MC.  They just have different user interfaces.  As far as I know, it breaks down sort of like this:

IOS:  JRemote.  $10.  Very slick and nice to use.  Doesn't do everything, but does a lot very well.  Owned and maintained by JRiver itself; though it was originally written by a 3rd party.

Android:
JRemote:  Not quite as slick as JRemote for IOS.  I believe it's missing a feature or two and the look and feel is different.  Also $10.  Also owned by JRiver.
Gizmo:  Free.  Rather basic, but it works for those basic needs well.  Not all that polished, but it's stable.
EOS:  Third party commercial software.  $5.  Does some really neat stuff.  More advanced with zones, linking, and volume control than others.  Nice interface for editing Playing Now.

There have been 3 or 4 other remotes, which you can find detailed in a sticky at the top of the forum, but they seem to have mostly all died off.

Brian.

milknkukis

• World Citizen
  • Crumbs!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 04:21:52 pm »

Thanks Brian, that's a useful overview. I read all the way through the JRemote for android thread but still wasn't certain what the plan is. It will be interesting to see if JRiver continue to maintain both products or whether JRemote will take over as the only option.

It seems that JRemote offers some more high end options for playback, etc. For me I think gizmo or eos are going to be the way for me, I'm not a typical MC user as my library is all MP3, my speakers are rubbish and so are my amps! (I have been using MC for 10+ years thought so I'm not a total noob)

Cheers
Mark

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 04:37:33 pm »

We've made changes to both Gizmo and JRemote in the last few months.  They are active.

milknkukis

• World Citizen
  • Crumbs!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 06:09:02 pm »

Thanks Jim, good to know. It will be interesting to see where they both end up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up