INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-ray playback judder problem  (Read 4212 times)

Guybrush

• World Citizen
Blu-ray playback judder problem
« on: February 19, 2016, 03:57:15 pm »

After much work, I'm still having blu-ray playback judder issues. Here's a synopsis:

1. My HTPC has an i7-4790K CPU and 980 Ti GPU. Computational muscle is not the issue. The same judder is present on Red October standard and HQ modes. It's also present using PowerDVD.

2. My TV refresh rate is set at 23Hz, and madvr reports the refresh rate of the tv and fps of the movie to be nearly identical. I don't think this is the issue. Also, when going through a juddery scene, madvr does not report any dropped or repeated frames.

3. MadVR's smooth motion has no effect on reducing the judder.

4. My TV is a Panasonic AX800 4K. Enabling the "Motion Picture Setting" feature greatly improves the problem, but creates flickering of its own. Most forums say to disable this feature, but the judder is horrible without it, and barely tolerable with it.

So, I thought a TV's "Motion Picture Setting" was like frame interpolation. Why would this be needed if the frame rate and refresh rate already match? Is there no other way to fix the judder problem without it? Again, it introduces terrible flickering at times, so I'd rather not use it if possible. I think I've covered all the usual solutions, but please let me know if I'm missing anything. Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help! Another blu-ray playback judder post - usual fixes not helping
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 04:14:59 pm »

2. My TV refresh rate is set at 23Hz, and madvr reports the refresh rate of the tv and fps of the movie to be nearly identical.
I believe this is the issue.  Try an Internet search for the solution.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 04:21:10 pm »

Some TVs have issues with 24p playback in general. If you can't use their interpolation for some reason, you may be screwed. Should find some others with the exact same TV and share experiences with them. There is no universal answer anyone can give.
As an alternative could use 60Hz mode and activate madVRs SmoothMotion, that should alleviate most of the problems.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 04:36:03 pm »

Some TVs have issues with 24p playback in general. If you can't use their interpolation for some reason, you may be screwed. Should find some others with the exact same TV and share experiences with them. There is no universal answer anyone can give.
As an alternative could use 60Hz mode and activate madVRs SmoothMotion, that should alleviate most of the problems.

Thanks for the tip. I tried playing the same juddery scenes on my ps3 and there was no change. So it is the tv, not some setting on my pc.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 07:41:47 pm »

Thanks for the tip. I tried playing the same juddery scenes on my ps3 and there was no change. So it is the tv, not some setting on my pc.

Because your PC is still trying to play the video at 23Hz. Assuming your TV is 1080p, set your PC desktop to 1920x1080@60Hz, and your TV to 60Hz, and playback in MC to Desktop Settings in Options>Video>Display Settings, by turning "Display Settings automatic change mode" to Off.

Plus turn on SmoothMotion and Video Clock. I suspect you should also turn off the TV's "Motion Picture Setting", or at least try the problem video with it turned off.

Some TVs have issues with 24p playback in general.
2. My TV refresh rate is set at 23Hz, and madvr reports the refresh rate of the tv and fps of the movie to be nearly identical.

A video at 23.976fps is nearly identical to a video at 24fps, but some devices have trouble playing them back if they aren't set to the correct frame rate. Using 60Hz gets around the problem mostly. If you don't want to do that, research those two frame rates, what your TV is actually capable of, what the videos actually are (use MediaInfo), and see if you can make the rate actually identical, rather than just nearly.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

stewart_pk

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 09:09:26 pm »

I suspect you're just seeing normal film judder which is especially noticeable during camera pans. This is normal when watching 24 fps content but might be exaggerated with some displays.
Pages: [1]   Go Up