INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting in the Content Panel  (Read 2244 times)

john greenwood

• World Citizen
Sorting in the Content Panel
« on: February 24, 2016, 10:17:36 am »

I'm probably overlooking something obvious, but this is frustrating.  I have a default order in which I want to see audio tracks in the content panel by default all the time.

Album Artist
Album
Disc No.
Track No.

What do I do to get JRiver to default to that regardless of whether I'm displaying any single album, any single album artist, any single genre, or my entire library?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sorting in the Content Panel
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 10:33:40 am »

The best way in my opinion is to set the sort order in the view itself. (yes there are other ways, but if you start copying views and using them to import to Theater or Remote modes, you'll be happy you did this)

Right click on the view and choose Customize. If you have a lot of views you can use the import export button and just manually do one and copy paste into the others.

see the screen shot (note I also have the date because I want the albums in release order, just don't add it if you don't want to of course)

john greenwood

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 03:13:18 pm »

Hmm - still struggling.

And I don't know how to display screenshots., but I have attached two.  Screenshot 2 shows the listing tracks for a Warren Zevon album.  What I'm trying to do is to get the columns: album artist, album, disc and track to be my sorting lists in that order.  And I want that to be true all the time, whether I'm listing the album, all Zevon albums, all Rock albums or my entire collection.

Unfortunately my Customize View screen is quite different from yours.  Frankly, I don't want to mess around with different views I just want to get the sorting done.

john greenwood

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 01:31:29 am »

Bump on this.

Let me ask a related question.

How does the program determine the columns to sort on by default when I switch the content of the content panel (say by switching from my Warren Zevon collection to "Kind of Blue" i.e. a single album)?  I would think it would use the last sort order I selected, but that does not seem to be the case at all times.

john greenwood

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 04:15:26 am »

One more bump.

To be honest, I didn't think this was a difficult question.  There have to be rules governing the table that makes up the content panel, including rules governing the sort order.  All I want to know is:

1 - is there a rule to get the program to remember (store) a sort order (and if so, how broadly is that remembered sort order utilized); and/or
2 - what is the rule for the default sort order?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 05:51:08 am »

Unfortunately my Customize View screen is quite different from yours.  Frankly, I don't want to mess around with different views I just want to get the sorting done.

other than the grey skin I'm using, it is exactly the same as mine. You didn't click on the three dots (...) where my first red arrow is pointing, this will open up the rules box.

Should you prefer doing it by clicking on the columns, you are still going to have to make sure it is done per each View ... there is not one global default per se ... this is on purpose. The sort order is pretty much default behavior you want, but if you have been messing around clicking, you could have changed it. Also for you to sort the columns you want, they have to be visible (if in one of your views, disc# is not visible you can add it by right clicking on a column and adding the field.

If you establish a sort order rule, like I indicated, you don't need to show the columns that make up the sort order. Remember the tip about the import/export button. As you can copy paste the code this way for all views very quickly.

Let me ask a related question.

How does the program determine the columns to sort on by default when I switch the content of the content panel (say by switching from my Warren Zevon collection to "Kind of Blue" i.e. a single album)?  I would think it would use the last sort order I selected, but that does not seem to be the case at all times.
it will remember the column sort order for each particular view. If you change views, it can change the sort order ; if you filter for one artist, album or category in the same view it won't.

Note : there might be an exception,  frankly I don't remember :) … if the option « use parent scheme rules » is checked, maybe this could apply to column sorting. Sorry I can't check this for you,  as all of my views are custom and I purposely do not use this option. None of my views are default out-of the box ones actually.

Now as an example, take a simple case sort order 1,2,3 you would click column 3 first, col 2 second and the first sort level last. This should stick, but only for that view. Your screen shot shows a genre view, but if you switch views this might not be the order, depends on how you sorted that view and frankly there could be other reasons (different type of view etc. and  whether it follows certain rules from the parent, as mentioned). But if you want to stay simple, I'd recommend doing it once like in my screen shot

john greenwood

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 06:32:25 am »

Got it!  Didn't understand you were pointing at the three dots.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up