INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Layout of the main field  (Read 1550 times)

mz1012

• Recent member
Layout of the main field
« on: March 06, 2016, 12:15:08 pm »

Hi, I would like to have several "windows" open, one for "Pop Rock Jazz", one for "Classic music", one for "Organ music", may be later on for Opera music and so on. And I would like that the layout changes automatically when switching from one area to the other. Currently, if I change the structure, it changes the layout in the other "windows" as well. Okay, no big point, as I have each layout saved, but how could I fix the layout of each area, so that switching becomes quite easy? Thanks a lot.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Layout of the main field
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 08:27:27 am »

I think you are using the Tree view on the left to show FOLDERS in the file system.  These are not individual views.  They are just individual locations on disk.  I don't think you can save different column layouts by disk location within the same view.

You *can* save individual column layouts for different VIEWS though.  You could build a new top level view, that's just like the one you're using now, but call it "Classic".  Then, using customize view > set rules for file display, you can limit that view to ONLY show files in your 10_classic directory.  Then you can lay out the colums exactly as you want them.

Repeat this for Opera, etc, building new views each time.  I believe that will get you what you want.

The way that MC usually lays out views is by metadata though:  Things like Genre, Style, etc.  You're using the file system for this, which is fine.  It's just a bit more limiting than using Genre, or another metadata tag.

Brian.

mz1012

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 01:56:59 pm »

Hi Brian,

thank you very much for understanding what I meant. I often do not know your correct wording in english, so I think it is rather difficult for you. The more I appreciate your assistance!

I think I got your point. My thinking was too much orientated on the file structure, and too less on the possibilities and consequences of my tagging. Great! My first try to create a new view for my purposes is already showing great results - I am very happy! And I think it will take some additional time to find out all the possibilities of jriver. Greatgreatgreat!  :)

Ralph

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 02:34:01 pm »

:)  Glad I could help you. Good luck!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up