INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kangaroo PC and JRiver 21 for audio  (Read 10739 times)

rockson61

• Recent member
Kangaroo PC and JRiver 21 for audio
« on: March 07, 2016, 02:23:28 pm »

Just wanted to let the group know that I just installed a Kangaroo PC ($99 at NewEgg) running JRiver 21 (audio only) for Windows with no issues. This PC is about the size of a smartphone, comes with a 32GB SSD, 2GB of RAM and built-in 802.11 AC WiFi as well as Windows 10 preinstalled. It has two USB ports as well as a card and fingerprint reader. My music library is all uncompressed WAV files and streaming from a 2TB drive attached to my router. Everything works flawlessly in case anyone out there is looking for a cheap mini server for MC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Kangaroo PC and JRiver 21 for audio
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 02:28:26 pm »

Nice.  Thanks for the report.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 02:42:03 pm »

I would enjoy seeing the JMark score of this PC.

Help > Benchmark > Run Benchmark

Brian.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 02:59:02 pm »

I recently got one of the Kangaroo Plus units at home, it's a really neat device.  The Plus unit ships with higher specs (4GB Ram, 64GB ssd), a higher price ($170), but no OS.  A word of caution to any prospective purchasers of the no OS version:  the audio on the HDMI output doesn't work in Linux at the moment, but works fine in windows.  Neither kangaroo device has an onboard ethernet port, but the i/o connector is modular, and they're allegedly working on a version of the i/o dock with ethernet.

FWIW, JRiver runs great on the device in Linux (provided of course that you're using a USB DAC for audio output), and the wifi is fast and very stable.  I haven't done much video testing yet, but will report back when I do (assuming I don't repurpose it for non-media applications first).  I'll post the linux JRMark when I get home for the curious.  The passmark on the processor is almost double that of processor in the Id classic. Compare:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+x5-Z8500+%40+1.44GHz
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+N3050+%40+1.60GHz

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 04:33:16 pm »

We recently switched the NUC we use for the Id to the 5CPYH.  It has a 2.16 GHz N3050

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 07:33:05 pm »

The Linux JRmark on the kangaroo plus is 1272 for anyone curious; the linux JRMarks are usually a a few hundred points lower than the windows JRMark on the same hardware in my experience, but I don't have windows on my Kangaroo right now so can't confirm.  Hopefully OP can chime in with his windows experience.

We recently switched the NUC we use for the Id to the 5CPYH.  It has a 2.16 GHz N3050

Oh neat, I hadn't seen that.  What's the JRMark/passmark like on the new IDs?

BradATIMA

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 07:48:12 am »

Here are the benchmarks for the old and new model NUC based Ids.

NUC model DN2820FYK Id (old)

Math benchmark: 723
Image benchmark: 1107
Database benchmark: 1325

JRMark: 1051

NUC5CPYH Id (new)

Math benchmark: 659
Image benchmark: 1057
Database benchmark: 1260

JRMark: 992

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 08:43:42 am »

I get confused.

Is JMark at all comparable across platforms?  It *should* be, as it's a benchmark.  But I thought I read it wasn't comparable at some point.

My 2011 MBP is around JMark 2200.  Is it nearly twice as capable as the Nuc, when using JRiver?

Brian.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 08:58:10 am »

Is JMark at all comparable across platforms?  It *should* be, as it's a benchmark.  But I thought I read it wasn't comparable at some point.

They are not comparable across platforms.  I see a significant delta on the exact same hardware when dual booting.  Non-windows OS's tend to have lower JRMarks (i.e. I generally see a dip of ~10% more on the Linux side on the same machine).  Most humorous: I have a windows virtual machine on a linux host where the virtualized windows instance has a higher JRMark than the baremetal linux instance!

dmarkovi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 11:49:30 am »

I ordered the kangaroo (non-plus) yesterday. Was waiting for it to come back in stock at the Microsoft store. I will report back with Jmark scores as soon as it comes in.

mainerobinson

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 09:11:50 am »

Thanks rockson61, have been looking at the Kangaroo and some others closer to $200. In your OP, you mentioned that the Kangaroo would make a good mini MC server -- are you running it as a library server, or was that your sense after seeing the performance? I'm looking to move my library server to the main listening area from my office, and go 24/7 on it. Thanks in advance.

rockson61

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 06:11:30 pm »

Hi, Yes, I keep the Kangaroo PC on pretty much all the time. As it has no fan, it's completely silent and does not draw too much power. It's my MC server for two separate stereos that use Chromecasts to stream my music library in different rooms of the house as well as my headphone listening server. I have a Schiit Bifrost DAC (amazing with the multibit upgrade) attached to it via USB and I amplify it through a Burson soloist amp and from there to a pair of Sennheiser HD800 headphones. Everything controlled via JRemote on either my iPad or Android phone. I should also add that the Kangaroo comes with a great app that allows you to connect it directly to an iPad so you can use it a touchscreen monitor.

rcblackwell

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 12:06:21 pm »

I recently got one of the Kangaroo Plus units at home......

A word of caution to any prospective purchasers of the no OS version:  the audio on the HDMI output doesn't work in Linux at the moment....

FWIW, JRiver runs great on the device in Linux (provided of course that you're using a USB DAC for audio output)

Apologies for resurrecting such an old post.

I own a Kangaroo with Windows 10 installed. I've been having trouble with its operation for some time. Even though the OS is configured to remain awake, it often becomes non-responsive and the Kangaroo needs to be rebooted (Using the power switch). I'm thinking of converting to Linux and came across this post in my research.

Can you advise which version of Linux you're running. Also, do this version still require a USB DAC for audio output?

With appreciation

Robert
-------
Robert

MC24 for Windows on Kangaroo PC

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 12:57:16 pm »

Apologies for resurrecting such an old post.

I own a Kangaroo with Windows 10 installed. I've been having trouble with its operation for some time. Even though the OS is configured to remain awake, it often becomes non-responsive and the Kangaroo needs to be rebooted (Using the power switch). I'm thinking of converting to Linux and came across this post in my research.

Can you advise which version of Linux you're running. Also, do this version still require a USB DAC for audio output?

With appreciation

Robert

You might want to check the Linux board, e.g. MC24:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/board,57.0.html
I can see a post there where a user refers to Ubuntu. I'd suggest a plain vanilla install with Debian given that it's the supported distro. Work out what suits and take it from there. With Linux there's no shortage and people have favorites for idiosyncratic and technical reasons. Too hard to boil down to 1 best option.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up