INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album View, Client Server architecture  (Read 1558 times)

vantassel

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Album View, Client Server architecture
« on: August 17, 2003, 09:17:36 am »

MC9 (like 8) won't allow me to control/manipulate playlists from a remote computer.  I'm not talking about the remote control plugin.  Rather something very similar to the Media Server, but instead of streaming the music data from the server to the client allow the music to be played on the server computer which is hooked to a whole house audio system.  The GUI should be the SAME on the CLIENT as it is on the SERVER, rather than another interface like a remote control.  CDJ (Nirvis) tried to acomplish this with DCOM, but of course it's full of bugs and not supported any longer.  My suggestion to J River is to allow MC to be configured as either a client or a server.  

Having to install Alubm View and a plugin to view and select songs based upon cover art seems like a major design oversight.  Especially since MC already handles jpeg images well.  Is there a way to get the Album cover art for an entire library over the internet all at once?  When I try this by selecting all it only looks up a couple my CD's.  Why doesn't file properties display the cover art.  It seems to me that cover art was more of an after thought rather primary requirement.

Regards, Bob

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Album View, Client Server architecture
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 01:17:14 pm »

MC9 (like 8) won't allow me to control/manipulate playlists from a remote computer.  I'm not talking about the remote control plugin.  Rather something very similar to the Media Server, but instead of streaming the music data from the server to the client allow the music to be played on the server computer which is hooked to a whole house audio system.  The GUI should be the SAME on the CLIENT as it is on the SERVER, rather than another interface like a remote control.  CDJ (Nirvis) tried to acomplish this with DCOM, but of course it's full of bugs and not supported any longer.  My suggestion to J River is to allow MC to be configured as either a client or a server.  

Have you explored the Remoteserver which is built in to 9.1?  It's configured in options/startup.  You can connect to it with a web browser, or with Glissando, or NetRemote.  There is a link to these in one of the threads near the top.

Having to install Alubm View and a plugin to view and select songs based upon cover art seems like a major design oversight.  

I don't understand.  You can switch the list style under view to album art.  That began with 9.0.

vantassel

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 06:10:29 pm »

Thanks Jim, after downloading version 9 I see that view thumbnails does what I want with respect to viewing albums on the server.  Now I don't need album view.  I won't why it took 9 revs of the product to get there.

However after downloading 9.1 and trying out Remoteserver I must say that I'm disapointed.  It's nothing more than an HTML interface to view and control a playlist via a browser.  As I said in my original post I'm looking for an interface IDENTICAL to the interface one gets when they run MC on the server computer that is hooked to a high end stereo system.

Imagine a party environment where serveral computers on a LAN want to watch the visualizations and add to the now playing party list (via thumbnail cover art).  The ability to run MC as a client on several computers and stay in sync with a server MC requires up front s/w client/server design.

Lastly why is it that when I right click on a thumbnail I have the option to add the entire CD to the now playing list but not the ability to add individual songs to the now playing list?

Thanks, Bob :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 06:20:26 pm »

Remoteserver is the server side.  You might also take a look at NetRemote.  There is a link in the remotes section in one of the threads near the top.  Or www.netremote.org should get you there.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 02:57:25 am »

For 'exactly' the server interface use VNC or its derivatives (tightVNC being my fave)... Or when using XP use XP's RDC and set the options to leave the sounds on the host...

For a alternative interface look at Music Lobby from Cinemar or Glissando from Dan... There is also a fully fledged app called Netremote that will allow for 2 way control on both PDA's and regular PC's...

PP
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 09:28:33 am »

Thanks Jim, after downloading version 9 I see that view thumbnails does what I want with respect to viewing albums on the server.  Now I don't need album view.  I won't why it took 9 revs of the product to get there.

Are there any other jukebox apps out there that do this? I'm not aware of any. WMP's up to version 9. MMJB is up to what, 7?

I wouldn't be so hard on MC. At least they've implemented it.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 09:55:41 am »

Well there are a few ApeJukebox springs to mind as well as other front end tools like My HTPC / DigiBox / etc etc etc...

I had bemoaned the lack of a TV interface and had high hopes for Hairspray but now with MusicLobby and MC9 I am in music control heaven... Works on my touchpads... Works on my Virgin WebPlayer.. Works on my HTPC / Projector...

Gives me all the backend functionality and power of MC (ASIO / Tagging / etc) and the gloss of the Lobby suite... Perfect combo...  
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up