INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Smart Theater  (Read 6533 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
JRiver Smart Theater
« on: March 09, 2016, 02:24:18 pm »

We've had a stealth project going for much of the last year.  In a couple more months, we will begin to release early builds.

It's a home automation or Internet of Things (IoT) product.  We hope it will become as deep and powerful as JRiver Media Center.  In the beginning, it will be more humble.

Here are some of the supported hardware components:

Links:

Z-Stick  $45

Smart Strip  $65

Gocontrol Z-Wave Bulb  $29

Domitech Z-Wave Bulb  $29

Prices are approximate.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: JRiver Smart Theater
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 02:31:54 pm »

We've built a software product called Panel.  At this time, it is only a Z-Wave Controller.  It supports the Z-Stick from AeonLabs (pictured above).  The Z-Stick can communicate with other Z-Wave devices.  Panel tells it what to do.

We also have a phone app called OneRemote.  It can communicate with Panel to control light bulbs, switches, and outlets.

Our first implementation will allow you to power up and down any of your AV equipment that is plugged into the Smart Strip above.  Four of the six outlets can be individually controlled by Panel.

We plan to give third party programs access to Panel.  They can run on the same machine or on anything else that is connected via the network.  Panel will listen on a port for commands.  The interface will be comparable to JRiver's MCWS.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 02:42:16 pm »

Z-Wave is a mesh network.  Each device can act as a relay in order to extend the range.

For example, the Z-Stick can communicate directly with any device within 60 feet.  It can use that device to make a hop to another device 60 feet away.  The limit is 5 hops, or 300 feet in total.

Z-Wave is an industry standard supported by many manufacturers.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 02:48:14 pm »

This looks like it's coming along nicely. Congrats guys.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 02:43:17 am »

I've been stocking up of IOT gadgets but none are Z-Wave AFAIK.  Most seem to have their own API, Web, App IF and IFTTT, so far I have:
- HomeBoy : Security Cam
- Rachio Iro: Irrigation Controller
- Wemo: Power Points, Lights etc
- Ecobee: HVAC Controller

Whats the roadmap for either both native support or IFTTT?

JRiver CEO Elect

flac.rules

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 03:45:19 am »

Great, I am looking forward to this. There is a lot of hardware to choose from, and although z-wave is a good choice, it only covers some users. So i hope to see a focus on communication with other platforms (flexible sending and receiving of commands over web/telnet/whatever), a good plugin-system where people can make their own plugins to support hardware, and an event-based system, where events in MC can trigger things to happen with hardware, or the other way around.

Keep up the good work.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 07:04:34 am »

Whats the roadmap for either both native support or IFTTT?
Unknown at this time.  We'll get Z-Wave to work well first, then add ZigBee or another protocol.

I wrote a few months ago about my similar experience with the protocols.  Right now, there are devices that use Z-Wave, ZigBee, Bluetooth, Wi-fi, and then several proprietary protocols -- Insteon, Lutron, etc.  It's a mess.

Castius

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 09:10:54 am »

Looks like i will be reading up on this
http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/device-type-developers-guide/z-wave-primer.html

My hope is that i treat JRiver as a sensor for smartthings to trigger events.
That way i can do all my setup in smartthings.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 07:11:00 pm »

I wrote a few months ago about my similar experience with the protocols.  Right now, there are devices that use Z-Wave, ZigBee, Bluetooth, Wi-fi, and then several proprietary protocols -- Insteon, Lutron, etc.  It's a mess.
Here's what I wrote then:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99054.msg685555#msg685555

Many devices require their own "hub", so pretty quickly you find all the ports on your router in use.  I already have five or six little boxes in the cupboard, each probably drawing 10 or 15 watts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up