INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bogus Folder Chain For Export Playlists  (Read 4680 times)

dguser

• Recent member
Bogus Folder Chain For Export Playlists
« on: March 10, 2016, 07:38:42 pm »

I had a complete failure on my music server (running JRMC21) which resulted in me spending 3 months rebuilding all my Playlists. I make a Playlist for every album because this is how I prefer to browse. I promised myself that I would save them this time (to be stored on my NAS) so that I won't  have to go through this ever again.
In keeping with that, I completed the project tonight and went to "Export Playlists" which I thought would probably be the best way to save them. The computer seemed to be doing something for about a minute, then it displayed a message telling me where the Playlist were stored. I had hoped to be able to select this location myself, but I'm sure I can move it if I can only find it. The problem is, the location I was given is NOT where the Playlists are. In fact, the location: C:\Users\Raymond\App Data\Roaming\MC\MC 21\Library\Playlist doesn't even exist. Not even close! I don't have an App Data folder (at least not labeled as such).
System Info: J River MC 21 for Windows running on Windows 8 (no 8.1 Update).
I've searched for the Playlists both in Windows Explorer and "Explorer" on J River. The contents are identical from either method. Can someone please tell me #1) Why would the program give me a bogus file chain? and #2) Where can I find the files I so desperately need?
Once I locate them, I would like to map a folder as a Network Drive or add them to my QSync folder so that they are automatically updated and backed up. I see no reason why this wouldn't be possible, but I'm not the expert here...

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Bogus Folder Chain For Export Playlists
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 11:39:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure MC backup includes playlists
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 06:56:08 am »

I'm pretty sure MC backup includes playlists

It does.

then it displayed a message telling me where the Playlist were stored. I had hoped to be able to select this location myself, but I'm sure I can move it if I can only find it. The problem is, the location I was given is NOT where the Playlists are. In fact, the location: C:\Users\Raymond\App Data\Roaming\MC\MC 21\Library\Playlist doesn't even exist. Not even close! I don't have an App Data folder (at least not labeled as such).

I just tested it, and it absolutely saved mine to my Library location in a new Playlists folder.

You do have an AppData folder in your user's home directory. All users on Windows do, and if you didn't, basically all your applications would be broken. The AppData folder is hidden.
http://www.solveyourtech.com/how-to-find-the-appdata-folder-in-windows-7/
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dguser

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 07:18:50 pm »

I was able to get Windows to show the hidden "App Data" folder and the chain was correct. In Properties, it says the folder was created last night (when I decided to "Export Playlists"). Can I delete this folder without losing the actual Playlists in my Tree and Gizmo?

I've already made some changes to Playlists, and there will be more to come. Its not practical to delete and re-save this folder every time I add a Playlist. What I need is a way to sync this folder to my QNAP 251+ NAS. This should be possible with at least 2 methods I know of: #1) add it to my Music folder which is mapped as a network drive, or #2) use the QSYNC Folder to continuously update and save it. Option #1 would still require manually deleting, and re-saving. I've had trouble with QSYNC trying to download my entire Music folder to devices that I don't want it on. This would probably be the best option once I get everything figured out, but I'm still learning.

I understand that neither Playlists or Library Backups store the actual music files. I already have these files on the NAS and I update them as albums are added. You mentioned that Library Backups also contain Playlists. Perhaps this would be a better option. What I need is a way to continuously (and automatically; if possible) backup all of the data in Media Center. If something happens and my music server is completely destroyed or stolen, I want to be able to rebuild everything from the NAS: cover art, playlists, liner notes, and most importantly the music files themselves. I have 3 Windows machines running MC21. The NAS also has MC21 installed, but I haven't purchased the Linux license. What would be the best backup strategy?

A few things that I still need to know are as follows: Can the default location for Exporting Playlists be changed?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 07:23:07 pm »

Read:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

All you need to do is change MC's Automatic Backup location to your NAS (or wherever you want to store the backups).

dguser

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 05:40:34 pm »

Can I safely delete the Playlist folder I created by Exporting? Does the NAS have to be running MC21? Does it have to be on all the time? When would backups occurr?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 08:14:28 pm »

Can I safely delete the Playlist folder I created by Exporting?

Yes. MC does not use it. It is just for exporting for use in other applications.

Does the NAS have to be running MC21? Does it have to be on all the time?

Yes, the NAS will need to be on, or else MC can't back up to it.

If you don't keep the NAS on all the time, you could have MC back up to a different (always on) location, and then copy the files to the NAS when it is on using a syncing application or script. GoodSync has a nice feature where it can automatically run a sync when a given network drive becomes available. It works well, I use it to sync my "users network share" at work to my laptop's local drive, and it works perfectly (when I walk in and connect the laptop to the work network, it syncs, and it doesn't complain when the laptop is at home or whatnot). So that would be an option. SyncBack might be able to do the same thing too.

When would backups occurr?

They happen when you start up MC, if it is "time" (based on the last time it was backed up). And, I think, just when it decides it is otherwise idle. And a few other times (such as when you restore another backup, as is noted in the article).

I'm not positive on the details. Mine are kinda all over the place, but often in the early morning (while I'd be sleeping) or mid-morning (when I'd be at work). But it works, and it does it roughly every two days.

dguser

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 09:00:56 pm »

The Wiki said you can change the default location for Library Backups as follows: Tools>Options>File Location>Program Files>Library Backups. With the NAS on and connected to my music server, I made the change and it took. Then, I ran a Library Backup, and it put the file on my C drive in Documents. Does the program have to re-start for this to take effect? I see months and months worth of backups in this folder. Are the older ones necessary, or do I just need the most recent one?
I may try one of the sync programs you mention, or I may just leave the setting unchanged and update it manually by connecting to the NAS, running Library Backup, and copying the most recent one to the NAS. I've also been considering buying a license for Media Center 21 on the NAS. I could kick myself for not getting a Master License (for about $10 more) back when I upgraded to version 21! Would that make this any easier? What would be some other advantages to having MC21 on the NAS? Are there any discounts available for the Linux license?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 09:20:13 pm »

Backup files are small, I'd just leave them there.  I clean mine out when I get a new major version (once a year)

You can upgrade to a master license for (I believe, don't quote me) about $27.  Personally I don't think it would be easier but I abandoned my NAS a few years ago in exchange for a bank of hard drives to leverage computing power and not have to deal with the NAS which was finicky back when I had it...meaning someone else can answer that part better than me!

dguser

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 07:11:35 pm »

Well, hopefully someone will. This isn't to imply that you did a bad job and (as always) I appreciate the input. I'd have to think that implementing a sound, minimally labor intensive backup strategy would be something that confronts most users at one time or the other.

I went for over a year with no backups and had one real scare (like to the tune of $15K) and that prompted me to invest in a NAS. I previously relied on external USB drives, but experienced serious reliability issues with all of them. I also liked the idea of being able to stream from the NAS and access files remotely.

At present, I'm trying to decide whether to use the apps available through QNAP to manage backups and (mainly video) streaming, or just spring for the Linux license and do everything through Media Center.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 07:20:30 pm »

I never look at backups, but I just did.  20 backups of MC21 occupy 35MB.

35 MB is .035 of a GB or .000035 of a TB.

Someone please check my math.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 07:24:03 pm »

This thread has gotten just a little bit confused.

The version of MC that runs on NAS boxes has nothing to do with backups.  Disregard that entirely.

MC backs up to the location you tell it to, every few days.  If that location is on your NAS and the NAS is on (which it should be) then it will go there.  But let's pretend that the backups will go to  your computer drive instead; just for the sake of argument.  So your MC backups are in zip files located on your C drive.

In that case, you really should have a backup program or process that copies your important files from your C drive off to somewhere else.  Your backup target could be your NAS.  Or it could be another external drive (like a USB drive for example).  The point is simply that backups of your local drive(s) should be a regular part of your strategy.  This is really independent of where MC stores it's backups.

If you are trying to be EXTREMELY prepared, you should be sending backups of your most critical data to a location outside of your house.  This is to prevent theft or fire from robbing you of your most critical data.  I am not currently doing this myself, but I'm working on a plan that will work for me.

I *do* back up everything important on my internal drive to external drives.  So my MC backups are on several drives at any given time.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 07:38:12 pm »

The Wiki said you can change the default location for Library Backups as follows: Tools>Options>File Location>Program Files>Library Backups. With the NAS on and connected to my music server, I made the change and it took.

Correct.

Then, I ran a Library Backup, and it put the file on my C drive in Documents.

When you create a Library Backup manually, it asks you where you want to save it. The default location is the last-used location (but it probably defaults to your system Documents location if you've never done one manually before). Did you not notice the File Save As dialog box you had to click through?!?

The setting impacts automatic backups.

If you want to force MC to make an automatic backup, you can run this command line:
Code: [Select]
mc21.exe /MCC 20011,1

Pages: [1]   Go Up