INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best practise model for JRiver + A/V Streaming Sources on Windows 10  (Read 2770 times)

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck

I’m a long-time user of JRiver for both audio and video. My long-standing set-up has involved a single source – a dedicated HTPC – with JRiver at the heart of my system via the use of the native convolution functions to deliver cross-over functions for my DIY active speakers / subwoofers. I am, now, increasingly using streaming sources – Netflix, Tidal, HbbTV – with these set-up as Tiles on my Windows 10 Start Screen and the great WDM Audio driver used so that JRiver can process the audio. This set-up is perfectly functional but the requirement to use a keyboard and mouse means that it’s not family friendly. What, then, is the best practise model for using JRiver + A/V Streaming sources on a Windows 10 platform? Is it possible to use Cortana to manage switching between JRiver Theatre View, Netflix, Tidal etc.? Or can this be done via the remote? Or are there other solutions?

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Best practise model for JRiver + A/V Streaming Sources on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 09:47:43 am »

IF you want to use the windows GUI to launch streaming services instead of jriver, two things that might help you out are Pin more, and snowy dune launcher.  With these two, you can create your own live tile, and link it to an external program.  You can pick the icons the tile scrolls through, different pictures for different sized tiles, you can link them to RSS feeds, and name the tile whatever you want.  The big problem I run into is that in the start menu, you cannot have a transparent tile so if you pick a round icon, then windows will automatically fill in the background wit your theme color.  I get around this by picking only square or rectangular icons but it would be nice to have control over the transparency of the icon, and its background.

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 03:49:43 pm »

IF you want to use the windows GUI to launch streaming services instead of jriver, two things that might help you out are Pin more, and snowy dune launcher.  With these two, you can create your own live tile, and link it to an external program.  You can pick the icons the tile scrolls through, different pictures for different sized tiles, you can link them to RSS feeds, and name the tile whatever you want.  The big problem I run into is that in the start menu, you cannot have a transparent tile so if you pick a round icon, then windows will automatically fill in the background wit your theme color.  I get around this by picking only square or rectangular icons but it would be nice to have control over the transparency of the icon, and its background.

Thanks, Jachin. How do you navigate between the live tiles? And move from a selected program back to the start menu showing the live tiles? Is this via a keyboard or have you managed to get this sorted via remote / voice command?

jachin99

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 09:47:58 pm »

For voice command setup, you may have to tweak your indexing options to open up individual programs.  Control once you are inside of them might be up to weather or not the app was developed for voice commands.  Using voice commands at the OS level, such as play, pause etc., just like an xbox Kinect, I don't know about.  For this, I would setup an android device to pass keyboard strokes on a given voice command.  Operating the the andoroid program without a keypress would require the android device to have applications installed that can accomplish this, and android has its own criteria for accepting voice input.  Tasker is your friend if you want to do anything with voice but I am not too sure about how to accomplish this in windows.  I have a gyration remote to fall back to so my remote has an airmouse function built in.  There is a way to do everything you want but someone with the programming skills, and especially time would be required. 

stewart_pk

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 11:59:43 pm »

I'm not really sure there's much point going too far with this as you still need to navigate the Netflix and Tidal applications with a mouse and keyboard, don't you?

I use key mapping software (LM Remote Keymap) to switch to the "JRiver Media Center 21" WDM sound device, launch JRiver, switch to the IPC (WDM) Zone and then launch Netflix.

jachin99

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 06:24:42 am »

One thing that might make Netflix, hulu, etc. family friendly is to integrate a scroll wheel in the remote.  I'm not sure how you would do that but LM keymapper or EG might be able to help.  I don't know how you would tell the EG LMKM to switch from a normal over button to the scrolling functionality but maybe you could use a double keypress, or hold down a key for so long, and then have it switch from a button to the scrolling.  Another option would be a MCE keyboard with the scroll functionality built into one of the buttons but then you need two remotes
Pages: [1]   Go Up