INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: March Newsletter: JRiver Powers Systems from $50 to $50,000  (Read 5115 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
March Newsletter: JRiver Powers Systems from $50 to $50,000
« on: March 22, 2016, 11:17:44 am »

This will go out later today.  Please let me know if you see any typos.

And thanks, DOLOMITE73!  (and everybody else who posted in that thread).  There were so many great replies in that thread.

Thanks,

Jim

Good Day,

JRiver Powers These Systems
Both big and small.  Chris Connaker just said some great things about MC and Chromecast at computeraudiophile.  And Media Center is the engine for the Theater of the Month at AVSForum.

Why Did You Choose JRiver?
You might like to see the answers to the question on our forum.  Here, for just one example, is a great answer from user DOLOMITE73:  
'cos it's freakin' awesome.  It's the only player that feels like
it's developed by people who actually want to use it not just sell it
+
there's a genuine understanding that users don't want to be forced
to using the vendors partners for related services.
rock on jriver.

Chromecast
Gizmo and JRemote for Android support casting your media to Chromecast and Chromecast Audio.  Audio and video are supported.

Back up and Push
You can now save your playlists and custom views on our servers.  It's an easy way to copy them to another machine, or to share them with a friend.

Amazon and Netflix Video
You can now add a link to Theater View to watch movies from Netflix or Amazon Prime.  MC needs to be set to use the Chromium engine in Options > Tree & View > Web Browser.

3D Blu-ray Support
Devs Hendrik and madshi have done the impossible.  With changes to LAV and madVR, you can watch 3D Blu-ray and MKV.  

More Changes
Updated the default podcast feeds, improvements for high DPI displays, improvements to the expression engine, improved zone linking, especially with DLNA zones, more mouse wheel support in Theater View.

Mac & Linux Changes
Images can be uploaded to Pix01, media can be sent as attachments in email.  Linux now uses the freedesktop.org media directory standards.

UPnP
UPnP 3 is now supported.

Television
Theater View -- A thin vertical line indicates the current time in the guide.  When the Record button on a remote control is pressed, a display indicates which action was taken (Record / Subscribe / Cancel).  When setting up recording, the guide display shows the same show selected and visible.

Standard View -- "Season", "Episode", "Rule ID", and "Rule Name" can be added to EPG views.  In standard television EPG views, the date column display format is configurable. EPG allows display of data for up to 21 days in the future (including current day) if the data is available.

TV Recording -- When subscribing to television shows, a video quality preference (HD or SD) can be chosen.  If no preference is specified, MC will try to use Favorite channels with subscription TV recordings.  For channels with identical favorite status, the custom channel ordering is used to pick a channel.

EPG  -- MC will now wake up the system to download the EPG.  MC will prevent the system from going to sleep if there is an active or imminent loading task.

Other -- Changed tuner selection when watching a live TV show or recording a TV show, so that user settings of "preferred tuner" will be better honored.  Added support for Hauppauge's new HD PVR60 video capture device.  MC will reload and retry Hauppauge IRBlast module if blasting fails.  Added crash and hang prevention measures for CableCARD tuners.

Update or Upgrade
If you own an MC21 license, you can just download and install any new build of MC21.  If you own an older version, you can upgrade at a discount.  Your data and settings will be preserved.

Regards,

JRiver

CountryBumkin

Re: March Newsletter: JRiver Powers Systems from $50 to $50,000
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 01:24:32 pm »

Looks good. Lots to be proud of.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 01:59:52 pm »

Great newsletter.

The 3D Blu-ray Support seems too techy or geeky, but maybe it is supposed to. Saying "Developers" instead of "Devs" and "our Video playback engine" instead of "LAV and madVR" might provide better understanding, but then it doesn't give enough credit to LAV Filters and madVR.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 06:31:38 pm »

I just heard from someone who says they use MC to power a $200,000 system.

Do I hear 250?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 06:37:15 pm »

I just heard from someone who says they use MC to power a $200,000 system.

Maybe we're charging (at least them) a little too little?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 06:43:59 pm »

I bet he'd pay $60 if we asked it.

stewart_pk

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 09:34:43 pm »

"Software: JRiver MC20"

What the hell?  ;D

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 04:33:38 am »

cute guys. $30 for roughly annual support is fair  ;)
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23
Pages: [1]   Go Up