INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues/observations with saved views - Dr Who and loading views manually  (Read 1683 times)

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe

Hi all

Been toying around with saved views/Dr. Who and since can't seem to get all my saved views to show up when I go through the Add View dialogue from within the program. The sort order seems to not be by file name but rather by the name of the view. Trying to edit this in an outside editor (Notepad++) just seems to mess things up more (note: just noticed that I have my Windows system parameters set to default to a French region which slips the JVI version to 1,1 instead of the default 1.1 -- maybe this is what the real issue is???). Renaming jvi files doesn't seem to help. And as there is no way to edit view descriptions or rename view names once they are saved (or directly on the Dr Who page), editing jvi files or even manually finding the hidden by default "roaming" directory in Windows seems to be a bit complicated for casual users in any case.

Couple of questions/observations linked to this ... it seems like the default views are stored in  Program files ../data; when you save a view it is under ...\Roaming/Library I would just like to have everything in sort order by file name. No matter how I rename the files or edit the jvi file Name of view. I'm thinking of nuking everything and starting over but this is onerous and I don't want to do this twice and I don't want the default views at the top of the sort order. Whats the best way of doing this?

I have over 40 saved views .. is there a limit which could explain why some do not show?

Copy/paste of new views to the roaming directory do not seem to show up unless they are downloaded via Dr. Who anymore ... is this normal now?

Also using Dr Who ... I need lengthy descriptions if anyone wants to use my views ... they are unreadable or get chopped off on the Dr Who page; inside the program when you get to the add a new view box, they blow out the screen shot and still there is not enough room. Anyway around this (need to indicate custom fields and how they are set up for example)?

I would be happy to contribute more, but this is really time consuming to just do this by trial and error. I think power users won't need this as much and people who could benefit, might find this pretty complicated. I know this is just getting off the ground of course and I still think it is a great idea, so I'm not whining here :)

Ideally what would be cool is just to have everything sort by file name (eg add the root tree name like Audio - View name -version.jvi). Saving it to the default roaming directory via a right click on the view rather than having to open customize view which is a real PITA would be really helpful. Actually it would be nice if a view save would be automatic when it is created and/or modified.  Why have it as an option even, drilling down to a sub dialogue box would no longer be required?

Adding another box for required fields and their definitions would be a plus so that the actual description would be more readable in the Dr. Who "page". At present it seems simpler to just post the JVI file to the forum.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

John is planning to look at this next week.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up